Vols practice #4

Why? I'll confess that I wanted Heath Shuler to start over Colquitt. Heath came from my hometown and went to my church. I knew most of his family so I had very personal reasons to pull for him.

That's where I am... period. I unfortunately end up defending Maurer often because of the bias many have against him. But my ONLY desire is for UT to have better QB plan than they had at any point with JG.
Maurer is my second choice and the way things fall either one of them would be a great choice if they can perform hopefully they can give us 2 to 3 years of good ball. Also wanting Heath Shuler to start of anyone except Manning would not be a bad ideal at all dude could straight up ball runner up for the Heisman not to bad.

That's plain stupid. It really is. If Maurer beats out the other two and uses his physical ability... then his part of the season will be just fine.

If he wins, he wins. Just hoping for a better season than last yr!

Reactions: sjt18
Maurer is my second choice and the way things fall either one of them would be a great choice if they can perform hopefully they can give us 2 to 3 years of good ball. Also wanting Heath Shuler to start of anyone except Manning would not be a bad ideal at all dude could straight up ball runner up for the Heisman not to bad.
True. But what relatively few know is how close the competition between him and Colquitt was. It was not a guarantee that HS was going to start. It was terrible what happened to Jerry once he got his shot to play. He was a quality QB and would have been a great one if he had not been competing with Heath.

Interesting, you’re drawing conclusions on Hooker and Bailey based on what you’ve seen and “respected talent” but you can’t draw any conclusions from what you’ve already seen on the field from Maurer?
Maurer did some very, very good things. He showed an arm. He showed good speed. He showed he could move in the pocket. He showed he could throw into tight windows. His "flashes" were better than anything Bailey did last year. He's a case of highs and lows. Which means if he can be coached up to eliminate the lows... you get an excellent QB. If he can't then he's not the starter. Simple as that. That's the reasonable "conclusion" about Maurer.

Bailey is talented. Hooker is talented. Maurer is talented. They're all different but all talented. But you concluded without any real reason that UT must not have a good QB if Maurer wins out.... and bluntly that is a stupid conclusion not supported by the facts. If Maurer starts then it means he HAS overcome being prone to those mistakes we saw him make as a Fr.

If he beats out the other 2 then it doesn’t mean that suddenly he’s awesome, it just means the other 2 are worse and that would be a really bad situation
What???? So you basically saying a player cant get better from year to year?? There are 1000's of QB's that looked like totally different Qb's in a different system. Every player progresses at a different pace and knowone truly knows what any of these guys will be. The reality is that he is a QB that's had 1 full offseason in the program. I believe anything that you thought you knew about any of these players went out the window with Pruitt. Different schemes require different skill sets. These are new coaches who dont have biased opinions. That means everyone is starting from point A no matter what your graduation class or recruiting rank is. All 22 starters will have to earn their spots, so if BM beats out the other Qb's it would be because he earned it not because they sucked. Coach said he is playing guys that compete at a chamionship level. That doesnt neccessarily mean the most talented guy will start. It means the guy thats going to give you blood, sweat, & tears on saturday for as long as it takes to win will start.

The overlooked thing in all these discussions is that Heupel's philosophy of play is as near opposite Pruitt's (Fulmer's) as you can find. Pruitt wanted a low risk O so he could "win with D, turnovers, and special teams". That was the Fulmer formula that worked in the 90's and early 00's. He tied the hands of his OC's and had no answer when aggressive offenses blew his D away.

Heupel may succeed or fail... but he's emphasizing aggression on both sides of the ball. The QB that wins out will be able to operate under that philosophy at a high level.

True. But what relatively few know is how close the competition between him and Colquitt was. It was not a guarantee that HS was going to start. It was terrible what happened to Jerry once he got his shot to play. He was a quality QB and would have been a great one if he had not been competing with Heath.
Yep I remember that it was him and if I am not mistaken Todd Helton was next in line and he got hurt.

VN Store

Back