Vols practice #4

I know Ramel Keyton opted out last year, and I haven’t heard about him hitting the portal. Interesting that we haven’t heard a thing about him. I wonder if he is still on the team.
He is listed on the roster, wonder if 'the covid' got him.

Not trashing a guy that worked hard to earn a scholy but a former walkon with no game experience at LT concerns me

Arkansas had a walk-on lineman that became all-SEC and was a first round draft pick. I believe he died in a car accident a few weeks before he was to report to NFL camp. There’s a movie about his life on Netflix.

Reactions: VolnJC
Yes it is a concern, but that's the state of our program right now. It's not different then when Jacob Gilliam had to start at LT in 2014. A lot of time between now and the beginning of the season and we do have options like Calbert and possibly Mays or Wright. If Davis proves to be the best, then so be it.
I don't remember Gilliam being any more of a liability than those who've played LT since... including our recently departed 5*.

I'm a Bailey believer but that's 4 practice videos now that I couldn't help but notice Maurer looking sharp. 👀👀👀
I wonder if something is going on with Bailey. I thought he threw a pretty nice ball last year. Every throw in these videos was wobbly.

Whoever starts on this team will have earned it. Not saying that wasn't true under the previous staff, but I wonder if some of the starters in recent years were playing because of recruitment hype.

That's plain stupid. It really is. If Maurer beats out the other two and uses his physical ability... then his part of the season will be just fine.

Agreed. Really seems like Maurer has put in the work to get his life straightened out. I hope that’s the case. If he wins the starting job then I am completely fine with that. For all we know he may very well be the most talented QB we have. Whomever wins the starting job, I will support and hope that he has a great career here.

Is it Garner you hear yelling occasionally? 🤣

Reactions: sjt18
Agreed. Really seems like Maurer has put in the work to get his life straightened out. I hope that’s the case. If he wins the starting job then I am completely fine with that. For all we know he may very well be the most talented QB we have. Whomever wins the starting job, I will support and hope that he has a great career here.
Agree completely except that there isn't much doubt that Maurer has the strongest arm and is equally fast with Hooker. Hooker is a better runner... but Maurer has good speed. Reporters have noted some inconsistency in his throws. He'll have to clean that up. OTOH, at least one of those reporters appears to have a pretty strong HB bias. Their edited video only shows him... and they don't mention anything negative he does.

I really do hate it when otherwise really good posters get so vested in one guy that they find reason to dismiss or cut down others. It is difficult for me not to pull for Maurer BECAUSE of those who dismiss him and talk him down. But.... I want the best guy to start. I don't care if that's Maurer, Bailey, Hooker, Salter, or one of the walk-on scout QB's..

PS- it is still going to be about command of the O, decisions, and delivering the ball on time and target more than physical ability. Nothing we're being allowed to see gives us insight on who that is. It could be all, none, or any of the 3.

Arkansas had a walk-on lineman that became all-SEC and was a first round draft pick. I believe he died in a car accident a few weeks before he was to report to NFL camp. There’s a movie about his life on Netflix.
yeah, sad story. I remember that kid. He wore the Drew Carey glasses

220px-Brandon_Burlsworth%2C_Arkansas_Razorbacks%2C_official_headshot.jpg

Sad story, did not know Neflix had a movie about him, I'll check it out when time allows.

Yes it is a concern, but that's the state of our program right now. It's not different then when Jacob Gilliam had to start at LT in 2014. A lot of time between now and the beginning of the season and we do have options like Calbert and possibly Mays or Wright. If Davis proves to be the best, then so be it.

I’m actually intrigued by this kid. 6-7, 325 is a beast. OLine is the position I think a walk-on can best make an impact. Sometimes guys develop later and get overlooked. Jack Conklin was a walk on at Michigan State a few years ago. Maybe Davis is the real deal.

Reactions: ArdentVol
yeah, sad story. I remember that kid. He wore the Drew Carey glasses

220px-Brandon_Burlsworth%2C_Arkansas_Razorbacks%2C_official_headshot.jpg

Sad story, did not know Neflix had a movie about him, I'll check it out when time allows.
The movie called “Greater”. I remember seeing it in theaters. It actually has a little Tennessee in there too. I would highly recommend it

Reactions: tbh

IIRC, you're referring to Brandon Burlsworth. The same guy that Billy Ratliff Hulk smashed into Stoerner on the famous "stumbled and fumbled" play in 1998.

That's plain stupid. It really is. If Maurer beats out the other two and uses his physical ability... then his part of the season will be just fine.

If he beats out the other 2 then it doesn’t mean that suddenly he’s awesome, it just means the other 2 are worse and that would be a really bad situation

I think we are all rather crazy to believe we really have any true insight as to who is doing better than whom based on small video segments. If you guys and gals can really gage who is having a better spring based solely on the videos, then you are far smarter than me.

Based on prior game experiences, I really like Maurer's moxy and his play making ability. His judgment scares me quite frankly. I like Hooker's play making ability based on watching videos of his days at VT, but I realize that all you will find are highlight films. I liked Bailey's calm presence when he played last year and his arm is strong enough it seems to me.

On balance, it's refreshing to have QBs who will be chosen to play based upon their abilities to run this offense, rather than just because "they give us the best chance to win".

Why is Jeremy Banks not at practice?

Think it was Price who said “clean up” earlier in the week. That could be medical or not. Anyone ask Price to clarify?

Maybe he’s cleaning up his room. Or maybe he’s participating in a citizen Ride Along program with UTPD or KPD. Maybe he’s on honeymoon with Officer Blondie. Possibilities are endless..
I believe he is rehabbing from shoulder surgery.

The movie called “Greater”. I remember seeing it in theaters. It actually has a little Tennessee in there too. I would highly recommend it
He contributed to the “Stoener fumble” in the 98 UT/ Ark game. UT def. lineman Billy Ratcliff pushed him backwards and the Ark lineman stepped on Stoener’s foot causing him to fall and fumble the ball.

Reactions: VolnJC

VN Store

Back