Vols Line Play?

Hello, I recently moved to the Knoxville area from NW Arkansas after living there for about 3 years. We are transplanted Brits and we became fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks and big fans of NCAA football. We had a thriving couples NCAA football discussion group that met monthly at Applebees restaurants around the area. Had some very passionate and heated discussions. Would love to start a new group in the Knoxville area. Anyway, enough about me.
Since moving here about 4 months ago, my wife and I have began following Vols football and became pretty big fans. Not so hard to leave the Razorbacks as they were hard to enjoy . However, my wife and I are very concerned with the lack of physicality on the offensive and defensive lines of Tennessee. Is it good enough to win in the SEC? We have been studying the physics/mechanics of blocking each night before bed. We watch some game film from this season, paying particular attention to the offensive line play. We pick a lineman and then role play that particular blocking technique from each play. We feel the best technique is when my wife is able to lock her hands just under my armpits near my breasts with her butt dropped below the level of my waist. I outweigh her and she is easily able to force me backwards each time she uses those mechanics. Tennessee offensive lineman seem to use that technique the majority of the time. So if they are being taught the right techniques, is this a problem with the strength and conditioning of our players? Because they are certainly not able to consistently get the push in SEC play that my wife is able to get on me. Anyone know what is being stressed in Vols strength program?
This might be the greatest message ever posted on this site.

My best friend I've been working with for the last 12 years is from Hull. Not far from where you are from.

Yes sir, I've been to Hull many times. Little over an hour by car. I miss the old country. Haven't been back in years.
And yes Vol445, I have seen that Andy Griffith episode. Most everyone from Heckmondwike has. Neat thing to have your hometown mentioned in TV or movie. Especially a place as small as Heckmondwike. Not exactly what you'd call a city.

whats-the-game-plan.png

Randy, welcome to the off-season, where the lack of suitable college football (NFL doesn't count) information leads many of my well-meaning brethren to become self-deluded with their comedic skills or lack thereof. Anyone who professes to admire the Vols and a desire to learn more about the greatest college football team that ever existed, is worth extending every courtesy to by me. Don't be a stranger and try and not let a few knuckleheads ruin the experience of VolNation. GBO

Randy, welcome to the off-season, where the lack of suitable college football (NFL doesn't count) information leads many of my well-meaning brethren to become self-deluded with their comedic skills or lack thereof. Anyone who professes to admire the Vols and a desire to learn more about the greatest college football team that ever existed, is worth extending every courtesy to by me. Don't be a stranger and try and not let a few knuckleheads ruin the experience of VolNation. GBO

There is enough humor in this post to cover my slack...

Whatever happened to the 100 post requirement to start a thread?

That being said, Iā€™m sitting here giggling on the couch at the thought of two fat Brits role playing blocking techniques before bed. Thatā€™s freakin hilarious.

ā€œOkay dear, now establish your leverage. Capital form, darling! Now roll your hips, as if youā€™re lifting the bonnet from the car! Oh, see? Iā€™m going up like the lift! If only Marcus Tatum did the like, it would be sweeter than treacle!ā€

Reactions: Volboy and FLVOL_79
Hello, I recently moved to the Knoxville area from NW Arkansas after living there for about 3 years. We are transplanted Brits and we became fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks and big fans of NCAA football. We had a thriving couples NCAA football discussion group that met monthly at Applebees restaurants around the area. Had some very passionate and heated discussions. Would love to start a new group in the Knoxville area. Anyway, enough about me.
Since moving here about 4 months ago, my wife and I have began following Vols football and became pretty big fans. Not so hard to leave the Razorbacks as they were hard to enjoy . However, my wife and I are very concerned with the lack of physicality on the offensive and defensive lines of Tennessee. Is it good enough to win in the SEC? We have been studying the physics/mechanics of blocking each night before bed. We watch some game film from this season, paying particular attention to the offensive line play. We pick a lineman and then role play that particular blocking technique from each play. We feel the best technique is when my wife is able to lock her hands just under my armpits near my breasts with her butt dropped below the level of my waist. I outweigh her and she is easily able to force me backwards each time she uses those mechanics. Tennessee offensive lineman seem to use that technique the majority of the time. So if they are being taught the right techniques, is this a problem with the strength and conditioning of our players? Because they are certainly not able to consistently get the push in SEC play that my wife is able to get on me. Anyone know what is being stressed in Vols strength program?

You want to know whats wrong with the OL? Ok. The biggest issue is strength and conditioning. Botch Jones fired the S&C in 2016 and basically had no strength program for about a year and a half. Then there is the smaller guys that were recruited. And we also have to factor in the laziness and lack of effort by the players.

We originally hail from charming little place called Heckmondwike. Have you ever been there?

Thanks Pride85 for the informative post. It does sound to me like we might need a better strength and conditioning protocol as well as focusing on recruiting bigger, stronger lineman. If I get a chance later today or in the morning, I will tell you guys about a workout program that I've been using for years. It has kept me in tip-top shape.
If you're really a beaver then you're probably kinfolks with my wife. Welcome to the family šŸ˜†

Reactions: malinoisvol
I really enjoyed your post. keep them up.

Randy Beaver, you should pass your technique to coach friend and Coach Chaney. They might be able to use this during the Spring.

Reactions: Vol8188

Does your wife have any eligibility left? Maybe we can give here a scholarship and a LT assignment. lol

I used to live in Henlow, Bedfordshire 89-92 near RAF Chicksands.

VN Store

Back