Vols land 5-star WR Mike Matthews!!!!

Many of us doubted the hire. Myself included.

I was so jaded that I was OK with it at the time. Not bc I thought CJH was the guy, but I figured it couldn't be any worse.
I would love to see a poll from that time of those who would have taken Heupel or Frost. That would be embarrassing. Danny White hired by UT was like landing a 2,000# marlin with a Zebco202 from a WalMart kayak. And not a soul knew it at the time.

Last edited:
It's an atomic boom regardless but I cant believe I looked through 5 pages and nobody asked the obvious question...

Is this Bruce or Clays son??

1689848743375.png

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
Everything about Clemson is detestable to me. I hate them more than any other non-SEC program. That Orange Bowl victory over them almost made up for not making the playoffs. You’ve got Dabo running his fat, freaking mouth after the loss to USCjr, saying UT isn’t built defensively. Next week, the Lamecocks shred Clemson and hand them their first loss in their own building in ages and Tennessee posts a 56-0 shutout. Then Tennessee beats Clemson by 3 scores and holds them to 14 points a month later where Clemson’s QB throws 2 picks and Clemson gets stuffed on 4th and short on the game’s key drive. Priceless! Still reveling in what an awesome season last year was, honestly.

And imagine if not for Banks' antics........

I was so jaded that I was OK with it at the time. Not bc I thought CJH was the guy, but I figured it couldn't be any worse.
I would love to see a poll from that time of those who would have taken Heupel or Frost. That would be embarrassing. Mike White hired by UT was like landing a 2,000# marlin with a Zebco202 from a WalMart kayak. And not a soul knew it at the time.

Zebco 202?? You really showed your age then.........lol

Everything about Clemson is detestable to me. I hate them more than any other non-SEC program. That Orange Bowl victory over them almost made up for not making the playoffs. You’ve got Dabo running his fat, freaking mouth after the loss to USCjr, saying UT isn’t built defensively. Next week, the Lamecocks shred Clemson and hand them their first loss in their own building in ages and Tennessee posts a 56-0 shutout. Then Tennessee beats Clemson by 3 scores and holds them to 14 points a month later where Clemson’s QB throws 2 picks and Clemson gets stuffed on 4th and short on the game’s key drive. Priceless! Still reveling in what an awesome season last year was, honestly.

That game was glorious.
The only thing I regretted was that Smokey (the human one not the real mascot) missed a great opportunity to take a shot at Dabo. I thought for sure that, once it appeared we were winning, that Smokey would put on an apron with a big spatula imitating flipping hamburgers.

That game was glorious.
The only thing I regretted was that Smokey (the human one not the real mascot) missed a great opportunity to take a shot at Dabo. I thought for sure that, once it appeared we were winning, that Smokey would put on an apron with a big spatula imitating flipping hamburgers.
1689859296893.jpeg

Reactions: Vfl2407
Bill Anderson (or his replacement...!):

Nico Suave drops back and stands on his own 5 yard line looking, waiting, looking and then connects to Matthews on a crossing route at the 40. Matthews scampers to the 45, 50 and stiff arms a hapless Georgia defender and is now on the 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 4, 3. 2, 1 GIVE HIM 6!!!!! This is the 3rd touchdown combination today for Suave & Matthews and folks, we are still in the 1st quarter!!

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
I would love to see a poll from that time of those who would have taken Heupel or Frost. That would be embarrassing. Mike White hired by UT was like landing a 2,000# marlin with a Zebco202 from a WalMart kayak. And not a soul knew it at the time.
????? When did we hire Mike?

Joe Sturdivant, Matthews’s current HS coach-

“A lot of receivers are really good when the ball’s in front of them and they’re within the ability to catch it with their thumbs or if it’s right over their head, they catch it with their pinkies. Mike is extremely good at catching the football and all that, but he also can catch any of it. You can throw it anywhere. You can draw a circle around him the size of an elephant and he can catch that football. He can be running one way and catch a ball that’s thrown behind him and not break stride. To me, catching a ball out of sync is something you’ve got to train kids how to do. But he does it naturally, which makes it really fun if you’re a quarterback. You can’t really miss. You’ve just got to put it in his area.”

The Athletic

THE LAST 4 OR 5 RECRUITS ARE 4 AND 5 STARS, AND PEOPLE ON HERE STILL COMPLAIN, and we will get another 4 star Friday.

only one in that list mattered

Nah. Clemson has been beating Tennessee out for kids like this since our downturn. Even local guys like Higgins were being plucked from our grasp by them. Now the tides are turning. We’ve recently beat them for not only this kid, but the 4* offensive lineman satterwhite and the other 4* wr Staley. Tennessee getting these great players that clemson has made a habit of beating us out for in recent history is huge.

VN Store

Back