Vols in MLB Update

Joyce now has a 1.80 ERA, pitched 9 relief innings allowing 0 runs in a row. Think about this, he's been playing (i.e., games, bullpens, practice, workout) for 2 teams since August of 2021 without a break. And he's still crankin' it up to 100-103.

Did you guys see what Joyce did last night (9/16/22) against 3 top White Sox AA Studs in the 7th inning?

1. Strikeout
2. Strikeout
3. Strikeout

12 total pitches. The kid was "en fuego"

The pitching ninja posed some video on twitter. First, Joyce does another "Don't make Ben Joyce wait" but he calls it "Ben Joyce, Stalking his Prey". By the way, that batter is the White Sox #1 prospect, a Top overall 50 prospect and a first rounder right out of HS last year. Scroll down on the tweet and check out his slider on the next batter, the dude missed it by 2' He ended up striking out ChiSox #1, #2, and #13 prospects.

Did you guys see what Joyce did last night (9/16/22) against 3 top White Sox AA Studs in the 7th inning?

1. Strikeout
2. Strikeout
3. Strikeout

12 total pitches. The kid was "en fuego"

The pitching ninja posed some video on twitter. First, Joyce does another "Don't make Ben Joyce wait" but he calls it "Ben Joyce, Stalking his Prey". By the way, that batter is the White Sox #1 prospect, a Top overall 50 prospect and a first rounder right out of HS last year. Scroll down on the tweet and check out his slider on the next batter, the dude missed it by 2' He ended up striking out ChiSox #1, #2, and #13 prospects.

Will Mabrey shows to be on the Dbacks 60 day injured list with no stats. Anyone have any info on that?

So last Thursday Ben Joyce strikes out 3 in a row. The White Sox #1, #2, and #13 prospects.

Then Saturday night he went:

1. Strikeout
2. Strikeout
3. Double
4. Strikeout

His pitch sequence on Saturday against the White Sox #1 prospect (Colson Montgomery) was this:

1. 101 mph for a ball
2. 100 mph foul ball
3. 82 mph Changeup looking for Strike
4. 100 mph foul ball
5. 83 mph Slider that came in looking like it would be right across the plate but then dropped in the dirt for a swing & miss, strike 3.

So much for living on the FB...

Who will be the first class of 22 BaseVol that we will see in the Majors? My guess…The Volunteer Fireman.

The Fireman might want to be a starting pitcher. If he developed a change-up to go with that slider, he could be a starter. That would probably take him longer to get to the bigs. A lot of baseball people are intrigued with him being a starter. Don't sleep on Trey Lipscomb. He got a hundred AB's for the FredNats at A ball and hit 300. It doesn't take as long to come up through the minors as a 3B than as a middle infielder, especially if you can hit and hit for power. Drew Gilbert was set back by injury, but he might make up that ground. And then there's Beck, who is clearly the most talented of the bunch, and he made it to A ball and hit 300 for his 100 milb at bats. As a corner outfielder, he might be ready someitme in 24.

Reactions: vol66 and taylorvol
The Fireman might want to be a starting pitcher. If he developed a change-up to go with that slider, he could be a starter. That would probably take him longer to get to the bigs. A lot of baseball people are intrigued with him being a starter. Don't sleep on Trey Lipscomb. He got a hundred AB's for the FredNats at A ball and hit 300. It doesn't take as long to come up through the minors as a 3B than as a middle infielder, especially if you can hit and hit for power. Drew Gilbert was set back by injury, but he might make up that ground. And then there's Beck, who is clearly the most talented of the bunch, and he made it to A ball and hit 300 for his 100 milb at bats. As a corner outfielder, he might be ready someitme in 24.

I'll hold my comments on Trey & Jordan. Let's see if they make it to High A first and what they do there. Then let's see if they make it to double AA and what they do. AA is a whole 'nother level of talent. Joyce is dominating in AA. I see him getting an invite to Angels '23 Spring Training and they bring him along as a reliever.

Seasons about over, all will find out their next step this Fall/Winter.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I'll hold my comments on Trey & Jordan. Let's see if they make it to High A first and what they do there. Then let's see if they make it to double AA and what they do. AA is a whole 'nother level of talent. Joyce is dominating in AA. I see him getting an invite to Angels '23 Spring Training and they bring him along as a reliever.

Hopefully some will play in the Arizona Fall League.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hopefully some will play in the Arizona Fall League.

I just checked the AFL rosters, didn't see any Vols. Not too surprised with regards to the pitchers like Joyce & Tidwell since they've basically been throwing bullpens and the UT season along with the MiLB season. Pitching since August 2021. They need rest. As for the fielders, didn't see any Vols. i.e: Beck, Lawson, Trey, Rucker, Ferguson, etc. Maybe I overlooked someone. Here's the link...

Teams | Arizona Fall League | MLB.com

Entirely possible scenario. They could get Ben to the bigs as a reliever and, if desired by both parties, try to stretch him out into a starter or groom him as a closer. Could easily happen that way.

I just checked the AFL rosters, didn't see any Vols. Not too surprised with regards to the pitchers like Joyce & Tidwell since they've basically been throwing bullpens and the UT season along with the MiLB season. Pitching since August 2021. They need rest. As for the fielders, didn't see any Vols. i.e: Beck, Lawson, Trey, Rucker, Ferguson, etc. Maybe I overlooked someone. Here's the link...

Teams | Arizona Fall League | MLB.com
I didn’t see any Vols, either, unfortunately. Did see Will Bednar from Mississippi State.

Agree with above. AA is a whole different ballgame. In many cases it is better than AAA as far as talent. Many drafted guys never make it that far (and stay there). High A to AA is a big step. Hope they all get that far but it will take time. Most of these guys will be on at least a 3 yr plan to get to the MLB.

Agree with above. AA is a whole different ballgame. In many cases it is better than AAA as far as talent. Many drafted guys never make it that far (and stay there). High A to AA is a big step. Hope they all get that far but it will take time. Most of these guys will be on at least a 3 yr plan to get to the MLB.

The fact that Joyce has dominated in AA ball right out of college is a statement in itself. 2.08 ERA with a 1.15 WHIP. 13 relief innings, 20 strikeouts. His stats link is below. His Trash Panda's team is at Tennessee Smokies stadium tonight (9/20) for the playoffs. (Best of 3)

Ben Joyce Stats, Fantasy & News

VN Store

Back