Vols hire Chaney per Multiple Sources

Y
Think about this for a moment. Do you not think Kirby could have kept Chaney if he really wanted him? We've been competitive on a national scale under Kirby. The money's there. Kirby wanted to look elsewhere. Congrats on Chaney, but it's not like UT stole him. UGA gave him up. You had him before, you have him again. This time without Pittman or a deep O-line.
Yep. Back to being the same entitled arrogant pricks you've always been. Bevo says hello.

Reactions: butchna
Think about this for a moment. Do you not think Kirby could have kept Chaney if he really wanted him? We've been competitive on a national scale under Kirby. The money's there. Kirby wanted to look elsewhere. Congrats on Chaney, but it's not like UT stole him. UGA gave him up. You had him before, you have him again. This time without Pittman or a deep O-line.

And you felt compelled to come to a Vol message board to say all this? You mad or Naw?

Bless it

Reactions: Behr and BeecherVol
This might be the best hire Pruitt has made to date. Not because Chaney or his offense is that great actually. Good yes, great no. To me its what he brings to the table in experience though. While he has not been a HC outside of 1 game he has been around a long time. He knows how to help manage those big ego's. That is something the previous staff did not do well. I am not expecting much this next season. Although 2021 should be when we see major gains.

Congrats. You have a fine OC. I prefer a guy who is much thinner and can be on the sideline if needed. I also like a guy who doesn't fall apart under pressure. Chaney's been at UT before. You guys know what you're getting. You hired and fired him. Pittman's our guy.
Think Sam’ll be run heavy? His first shot as an OC and all.

We hear about “financial harmony” on UGA’s staff and now their OL coach is making $1.5 mil. I think he deserves it but **** that HARMONY when you’re negotiating salaries for your new COORDINATORS. 🤣

Georgia had a practice facility for years that some high schools would laugh at, I doubt lack of money was an issue there either.

Fact is Chaney was offered a pay raise; even in UGA butt sniffer logic that means Georgia wanted to keep him.

You know it’s a great hire when the school he just jilted comes over to tell us how bad he is when he was the best OC in that schools history

What do y'all think changed at Georgia to get Chaney to leave then? He and Pittman have been a package deal for a long time.

They were at Tennessee (first time), Arkansas, and Georgia.

Pittman hired on in Chaney’s LAST season here...no history before that. They were unemployed at the same time and Bielema was hiring. Chaney left him at Arkansas to go to Pitt. They work well together but you don’t get both by landing one.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I’m kidding of course. Only other board I’ve ever posted on was ShaggyBevo when I had an extraordinarily long vacation and never again.
I thought you were at first, but then I wasn't sure if maybe you knew someone or something.

Obviously as a Tennessee fan I have to be careful when talking crap about other teams, but I'm not too careful around friends that are fans of other schools. I'm having fun with my Ohio St. Friend now.

Reactions: butchna
I get that...it's why I posted a while back in this thread that Chaney is nothing more than an average, STOP-GAP hire for the moment.

But we paying him a lot of $$$....for mediocrity.....

Personally--and I posted this 30 days ago, or in that neighborhood, that I like the OC for the Washington Huskies.

IF we gonna pay out 1.5 mil/year---go get a dude who hasn't demonstrated how to steal defeat from the jaws of victory with the best talent he's ever had.

It is actually a lot more than 1.5. They are now reporting $1.5 million in the 2019 season, $1.6 million in 2020 and $1.7 million in 2021 . That is a lot of cash for an assistant. Hopefully he is worth it.

Let's see now SJT---are you now lauding moral victories? Did UGA actually WIN either of those games?
Nope. Just pointing to statistical performances. There is a relationship between offensive and defensive performance. A bad O can make a D look worse and vice versa. But with some variance... an OC is responsible for offensive performance.

Now--are WE at Tennessee actually after winning the most yardage against Bama statistic or do we actually want to BEAT BAMA?
That's a really, really stupid question that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my point. The goal is to win... and you need quality offensive play to do that.

UGa's DEFENSE played well enough to beat BAMA to win both of those games--except for when their offense went into hibernation.

And we don't even have to talk about BAMA....

Auburn beat UGA's AZZ off last year in the first game when they were fully loaded....and UGA beat the walking Auburn wounded in the SEC championship.

UGA's offense didn't exactly tear it up against LSU this year either....not to mention needing all of those turnovers and about 10 plays from inside the 1 yard line to score and beat Fla.

As I said before...
We can go back and forth and endlessly compare him to every other OC out there.

Bottom line is he is a very good hire. Every good hire has games you can point to where things didn't go well.

He is a SAFE HIRE... for NOW... but he definitely wasn't the guy CJP wanted, but was pressured to hire.
What's the proof of that? I believe he probably made runs at other OC's before Chaney. That doesn't make Chaney a bad hire nor does it demonstrate that UT knew Chaney would be available or maybe they knew he would cost more.
Why did he only make it 2 years at Arky? Only 1 year at Pitt?

Just remember that....
Did the OC change help Bielema? IIRC, they just really didn't see eye to eye.

If you're at Pitt and get offered the job at UGA... what do YOU do?

Nope. Just pointing to statistical performances. There is a relationship between offensive and defensive performance. A bad O can make a D look worse and vice versa. But with some variance... an OC is responsible for offensive performance.

That's a really, really stupid question that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my point. The goal is to win...

Well sir, YOU laid that egg of a statistic on the table....it was a STUPID statistic to lay down because it made NOTHING OF A POINT and did nothing to support your overt statement above that the GOAL IS TO WIN... What else could I conclude?

And yes, I agree that there definitely IS a relationship between offensive and defensive performance, but that only serves to PROVE MY POINT that Chaney chokes when the game is truly on the line...He did it over his 4 year career here (there was a reason Kiffin wouldn't turn him loose to call plays during games) and he has built that reputation for himself over the last 2 years at UGA. That's why they made NO EFFORT to retain him or match our offer.

The facts are--when comparing the 2nd halves of UGA's attempts to beat BAMA over the last 2 years--Chaney and his offense have completely disappeared when the games were on the line! It's just irrefutable. And this year's 2nd half in the SEC CG against Bama was actually WORSE than last year's NC game! And Bama's defense this year is definitely NOT as good as it was last year. Also see LSU and Texas game. I already know that you blame those performances on UGA's OL....but it's just funny to me how that same poor OL could lay the smack-down on Bama for the first half of this year's SECCG...and then totally disappear except for 1 series that took UGA 3 plays to score--and then returned to their cave.

And there's a long list of examples like this in Chaney's history... 2012 UT season here is another example where his offense put up huge numbers against the lower tier teams, but stumbled and failed against the better teams--even with all of that explosive offensive talent he had.

I do completely believe that you're an intelligent guy and know the game. It would be fun to have a face to face conversation about Chaney's pros and cons. I'm sure that I would learn some things from you, too. But folks on here acting like Chaney doesn't have some significant CONS are just delusional.

You say he's a good hire....and I say CJP was forced to settle on him as a SAFE HIRE----for now. We won't know who is actually right for a few years.
You believe that statistics support your opinion--and I believe that the stats support mine. I can respect you and your opinion. You've definitely earned that.

Concerning my unsubstantiated statements about Chaney not being CJP's first or 2nd choice....

It is my opinion that CJP actively pursued and wanted to hire Freeze but was not allowed to do so. I have NO PROOF that this is true, but it is completely plausible and seems to have some legitimacy to it.

I also believe that Hubbs' site stated that Mike Yurchich turned CJP down before taking the OSU position. Once again, I have NO PROOF that this is true, but CJP did interview him. Yurcich is from Ohio, so it makes sense for him to go there over us. And it's not an insult to our program or any slight on CJP's record. For that matter, I don't think hiring Chaney is a slight on CJP's record. CJP has already proven that he can out-coach and out-adjust Chaney...so Chaney should have no problem giving CJP his properly earned respect.

GO VOLS!

And there's a long list of examples like this in Chaney's history... 2012 UT season here is another example where his offense put up huge numbers against the lower tier teams, but stumbled and failed against the better teams--even with all of that explosive offensive talent he had.
That year we were 4th in the conference in scoring offense, 4th in scoring offense in conference games only, and 4th in scoring offense vs ranked opponents. So... no.

That year we were 4th in the conference in scoring offense, 4th in scoring offense in conference games only, and 4th in scoring offense vs ranked opponents. So... no.

Our 2012 offensive production against the teams we played and their SEC DEFENSIVE rankings:

1. Bama. 282 yards 13 points
2. Fla. 340 yards. 20 points
4. USCe. 472 yards. 35 points
5. Vandy. 303 yards. 18 points

Against the top 5 defenses in the SEC...we averaged 349 yards per game and 21.5 points per game.

6. UGA. 478 yards. 37 points. (1 INT returned for a TD in that game).
8. Miss. State. 361 yards. 24 points. (1 KO return for a TD in that game).

Against the AVERAGE defenses in the SEC...we averaged 420 yards per game and 30.5 points per game.

11. Mizzou. 585 yards. 51 points
13. Kentucky. 457 yards. 37 points.

Against 2 of the WORST defenses in the SEC...we averaged 521 yards per game and 44 points per game.

You have to be blind NOT to notice the pattern.

So YES...our offensive ranking in the SEC for the 2012 season had a lot to do with how we played against the average to below average teams--what I labeled "lower-tiered" teams-- in the SEC.
We must first compete to win the SEC...and if we're good enough to beat the best defenses in the SEC, then we'll be good enough to compete nationally against anyone.

Our 2012 offensive production against our OOC opponents:

NC state. 524 yds and 35 points
Ga. State 558 yds and 51 points
Akron. 633 yds and 47 points
Troy. 718 yds and 55 points

That's 608 yards per game average and 49.5 points per game average. That goes a LONG way to pad your overall season averages.

Many have quoted our 2012 offensive production as certain evidence that Chaney is an elite OC... But when you look at the numbers it's just obvious that there is nothing elite about him at all.
His last 2 years at UGA with Smart have only served to highlight these facts--IMO--as UGA's offense has all but disappeared in the last two years in the 2nd halves of games against Bama and Texas.

We must first compete to win the SEC...and if we're good enough to beat the best defenses in the SEC, then we'll be good enough to compete nationally against anyone.

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back