Vols have a legitimate shot to finish as 3rd Best team in the SEC

let me guess op...we should stick with JG right? Lol. We should have competed for the sec East this year. That would be first in the division. Not third. But we won’t play a qb that gives us a chance. And even while started a new one would present some unknowns...you’d almost without a doubt have more upside with any of the others

Reactions: 08Vol
Lots of unknowns and ifs with the main one being we need to beat Ky this Sat and should it happen it will come down to TN, Fl and Texas A&M for that spot. Below are the standings and in the end that's what matters the most. With a win Sat we would be one of only a few SEC teams sporting a 3-1 conference record. Regardless of what happens the Bama game we'll control our own destiny in the games vs A&M and Florida. Should we win Saturday I think that would make us favorites vs Aub, Vandy and Arkansas. I personally think we're right there as I think our defense is only going to improve and I don't think we're gonna face many defensive fronts that our line shouldn't be heavily favored against. We'll also find Saturday what kind of veteran leadership we have on this football team. I think they step up and rally vs the kittens, we are the better team, we're as good or better at every position and this is the decade of the Vols, hehe, had to throw that in. Anybody else other than me think we can finish 8-2 and end up 3rd in the conference?

Lots of ifs, we'll find out Saturday where we stand.

View attachment 314735
What if the the SEC's plan to protect UGA and Florida back fires with a 3 way tie? UGA loses to Bama and Florida, Florida loses to aTm and us, we lose to UGA and Bama. In this scenario, if I'm not mistaken, the 3 way tie could hold up all the way down to non divisional records of our opponents. If that happens we should have played the toughest schedule and win the division. Can anyone go into more detail about this possibility? Seems like years ago if there was a 3 way tie that couldn't be broken it went to the highest ranked team.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
What if the the SEC's plan to protect UGA and Florida back fires with a 3 way tie? UGA loses to Bama and Florida, Florida loses to aTm and us, we lose to UGA and Bama. In this scenario, if I'm not mistaken, the 3 way tie could hold up all the way down to non divisional records of our opponents. If that happens we should have played the toughest schedule and win the division. Can anyone go into more detail about this possibility? Seems like years ago if there was a 3 way tie that couldn't be broken it went to the highest ranked team.
I'm not sure how it's determined but I could see it playing out that way. Slipping in the back door would be awesome as well. We still gotta get the kittens 1st. Florida might lose to LSU this weekend as LSU is not going to be bad all season.

Finishing 3rd isn't 100% crazy but right now, UGA, Bama, UF, A&M, and Auburn (probably) would be favored over us on a neutral field and we are the only team in the SEC that has to play all 5 of them. Of the teams 3-6 (UF, AM, Auburn, UT), we have the worst QB play of that quartet so we are closer to 6 than 3, especially once you factor in our schedule.

This thread reminds me of the Will Ferrell basketball movie, Semi-Pro, where his team is fighting for “4th place.”
Pulaski Vol, I agree w your post.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Lots of unknowns and ifs with the main one being we need to beat Ky this Sat and should it happen it will come down to TN, Fl and Texas A&M for that spot. Below are the standings and in the end that's what matters the most. With a win Sat we would be one of only a few SEC teams sporting a 3-1 conference record. Regardless of what happens the Bama game we'll control our own destiny in the games vs A&M and Florida. Should we win Saturday I think that would make us favorites vs Aub, Vandy and Arkansas. I personally think we're right there as I think our defense is only going to improve and I don't think we're gonna face many defensive fronts that our line shouldn't be heavily favored against. We'll also find Saturday what kind of veteran leadership we have on this football team. I think they step up and rally vs the kittens, we are the better team, we're as good or better at every position and this is the decade of the Vols, hehe, had to throw that in. Anybody else other than me think we can finish 8-2 and end up 3rd in the conference?

View attachment 314735

If we make a QB change we will be tied for 1st at the end of the regular season.

Bama 9-1
UGA 9-1
UT 9-1

We tied with Auburn for 5th in the SEC last season (LSU went 8-0 and won the conference championship ... UGa was 7-1 and represented the East ... FL and Bama were both 6-2, tied for 3rd ... then we and Auburn had 5-3 records, tied for fifth in conference, both third in our respective divisions).

So ending this season 3rd in the SEC, behind only (one presumes) UGa and Bama would be a step up. Not yet winning championships, but improvement.

To get there, we would likely have to win every remaining game other than Bama. Tall order to beat Florida, A&M, and Auburn all three, as well as the ones we should win (Ky, Arky, Vandy).

Folks in the thread are saying it is hard to get excited about 3rd, and I agree, it's kinda milquetoast. But it beats the alternative, which is to lose some of those games and finish worse than 3rd. And it puts us, in 2020, where Bama and Florida finished in 2019. Progress.

So yeah, I'd like to see us beat the Kitties this weekend, fight hard against the Tide even if we lose to them, then run the table the rest of the way. That'd be respectable. Let's do that.

Go Vols!

View attachment 314735

There‘s a lot of football left this season and the Vols still aren’t out of contention for the SECCG.

We tied with Auburn for 5th in the SEC last season (LSU went 8-0 and won the conference championship ... UGa was 7-1 and represented the East ... FL and Bama were both 6-2, tied for 3rd ... then we and Auburn had 5-3 records, tied for fifth in conference, both third in our respective divisions).

So ending this season 3rd in the SEC, behind only (one presumes) UGa and Bama would be a step up. Not yet winning championships, but improvement.

To get there, we would likely have to win every remaining game other than Bama. Tall order to beat Florida, A&M, and Auburn all three, as well as the ones we should win (Ky, Arky, Vandy).

Folks in the thread are saying it is hard to get excited about 3rd, and I agree, it's kinda milquetoast. But it beats the alternative, which is to lose some of those games and finish worse than 3rd. And it puts us, in 2020, where Bama and Florida finished in 2019. Progress.

So yeah, I'd like to see us beat the Kitties this weekend, fight hard against the Tide even if we lose to them, then run the table the rest of the way. That'd be respectable. Let's do that.

Go Vols!
Waste of time brother, around here if you ain't first, in everything, you're last.

I've been spending less and less time in here. I just saw this thread this morning and thought "now there's a brave soul". Lol.

SEC only schedule finishing 3rd in the SEC, not 3rd in the East....yes, that would be a fine finish for this year and bode well for a good start on next year. But "next year". Ain't Nobody got time Ain't Nobody got time Ain't Nobody got time for that.

Last edited:
Waste of time brother, around here if you ain't first, in everything, you're last.

I've been spending less and less time in here. I just saw this thread this morning and thought "now there's a brave soul". Lol.

SEC only schedule finishing 3rd in the SEC, not 3rd in the East....yes, that would be a fine finish for this year and bode well for a good start on next year. But "next year". Nobody got time Nobody got time Nobody got time for that.
Heh, yeah.

There is actually another alternative...we could run the table, end up 9-1, and UGa miraculously lose two SEC games so that we are East champs and get to Atlanta to beat Bama again and win the SEC crown. Then of course go on to the playoffs and finish National Champs at 12-1.

I would imagine that the same folks giving Pulaski grief in this thread for "accepting mediocrity" would be the first to shout that idea down as unrealistic. Which, I mean, it is...but...hypocrisy. Heh.

Beautiful new avatar, btw, though I liked the puppy better. What's the idea behind the switch?

Heh, yeah.

There is actually another alternative...we could run the table, end up 9-1, and UGa miraculously lose two SEC games so that we are East champs and get to Atlanta to beat Bama again and win the SEC crown. Then of course go on to the playoffs and finish National Champs at 12-1.

I would imagine that the same folks giving Pulaski grief in this thread for "accepting mediocrity" would be the first to shout that idea down as unrealistic. Which, I mean, it is...but...hypocrisy. Heh.

Beautiful new avatar, btw, though I liked the puppy better. What's the idea behind the switch?

Agree 100%. What happened to "I just hope we get some football this year"? Lol.

Behr will return, the avatar change is just some dumb fun some of us are having in another forum. It's likely to change to something else several times today.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back