Vols greatest at NFL positions

You're delusional. Brady is 11-5 against Manning, thats not by accident.

yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Brady has always played for the best coach of his generation, has almost always had the better defense and special teams to go with his always good offense.

And don't give me the crap about poor Brady has no wide receivers while Manning always does. Tell me what Brandon Stokley, Eric Decker and Dallas Clark did before or after they played with Manning.
Welker leaves Brady and is even better with Manning until he gets another of his million concusions.

Heck manning has taken 3 different coaches to the Super Bowl. (and none of them were named Walsh or Belichek,) one of them was named Caldwell--sure fire hall of famer!

I saw Elway in his prime, and he was hardly overrated. He was the best I ever saw and one of the first true scrambling QBs of the era that had a HOF career. He was to the NFL what Mantle was to MLB talent wise.

Reactions: 1 person
Elway was clutch, but his performance outside of clutch moments left a lot to be desired. And as for your 4QC stat, Elway is third all time behind Peyton and Marino. The biggest difference between Peyton/Marino and Elway is Elway was often times the reason his team had to have a GWD or 4QC, because of how prone he was to throwing picks/turning it over.

And I'm not sure how it requiring a great o-line, WR and RB to win rings necessarily helps his argument.

Your assessment of Elway is way off. The reason Eleay had so many game winning drives was the conservative nature of Dan Reeves and the lack of a quality running game.

The only reason the Broncos appeared in those Super Bowls was Elway. Look up how many offensive Pro Bowl players he played with and then compare it to any of the other QBs considered in the top 5 all time. Then look at the Wrs he had to throw to. It wasnt until late in his career that he had true weapons at the wr and rb positions.

yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Brady has always played for the best coach of his generation, has almost always had the better defense and special teams to go with his always good offense.

And don't give me the crap about poor Brady has no wide receivers while Manning always does. Tell me what Brandon Stokley, Eric Decker and Dallas Clark did before or after they played with Manning.
Welker leaves Brady and is even better with Manning until he gets another of his million concusions.

Heck manning has taken 3 different coaches to the Super Bowl. (and none of them were named Walsh or Belichek,) one of them was named Caldwell--sure fire hall of famer!

LOL I never said Peyton wont be a first ballot hall of famer, he's just not as good as Brady. Sorry. :lolabove:

I saw Elway in his prime, and he was hardly overrated. He was the best I ever saw and one of the first true scrambling QBs of the era that had a HOF career. He was to the NFL what Mantle was to MLB talent wise.

Exactly.... If he'd had the weapons that Montana had people would view him much differently.

T. Bradshaw has 4 SB rings also. Played in 4 SBs' and won them all. Won 2 in a row twice. If that's the criteria to be considered (SBs' won), then he has to be considered one of the best.

LOL I never said Peyton wont be a first ballot hall of famer, he's just not as good as Brady. Sorry. :lolabove:

actually the sure fire hall of famer line was a sarcastic reference to Caldwell. Peyton took Jim Caldwell to a super bowl for crying out loud.

I think Brady is great but it would be very interesting to have seen Peyton play on all those early loaded Patriots teams or any of the Walsh SF teams. Peyton would have at least 4 super bowl wins and the GOAT debate wouldn't even be close until Unitis is factored in.

Reggie White: Holy Terror that nobody could handle.
Peyton: Touchdown passing machine.
Travis Henry: Most fertile Vol ever. 10 children with 11 women. Accomplished cocaine dealer.

T. Bradshaw has 4 SB rings also. Played in 4 SBs' and won them all. Won 2 in a row twice. If that's the criteria to be considered (SBs' won), then he has to be considered one of the best.

I watched Bradshaw many many times. Him winning four Super Bowls and making the Hall of Fame is the same as if Jay Cutler did that. Bradshaw made as many snafus as he did positive plays. He was on the right team at the right time.

I was talking with a fellow die hard vol fan last night and we started talking about an interesting subject. We started talking about the greatest players at their positions in the NFL. We were going down naming all the ones we could debate on who is the best. I don't know if any other vol fans have thought about this topic but we came to the conclusion (with a little orange tinted glasses on) that UT has possibly 3 of the greatest to play their position.

Reggie White - DE - I think we all could agree that he is the greatest DE ever.

Peyton Manning - QB - I know he is still playing but in my opinion when he finally retires he will be the greatest to play the QB position.

Jason Witten - TE - Also still playing so his stats will only get better but he could possibly end up the greatest at his position.

I know that the last 2 will prob get argued but still what other school can say that they have 3 of the greatest players to play their position.

Just thought that this was pretty cool and wanted to see what other VFL's thought about this!

GBO!

Doug Atkins defensive tackle 1953-1969 Cleveland Browns,Chicago Bears and New Orleans Saints

Jack Stroud offensive lineman 13 years New York Giants

Mike Lucci LB 9 seasons with the Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions

Bob Johnson Center 1968-1978 Cincinnati Bengals

Rod Wilks...

QB/TB/FB/HB/TE/WR/SE/OT/OG/C/NG/DT/WDE/SDE/OLB/ILB/MLB/DB/NB/SS/FS/HC/OC/DC/AC/GA/MBA/PHD/TNA/CNN

So let me get this straight, you are comparing stats from one game against a entire career. Very weak IMO. For your position to hold water, you need to justify why Brady and Rodgers are better than Manning without using super bowls as the criteria.

If we use Super Bowl games as the criteria then Steve Young is the best QB ever. See how that works?

I watched Bradshaw many many times. Him winning four Super Bowls and making the Hall of Fame is the same as if Jay Cutler did that. Bradshaw made as many snafus as he did positive plays. He was on the right team at the right time.

No Steeler fan would ever be dumb enough to say Bradshaw is better than Big Ben.

The problem with trying to say best Tight End, IMO, is that that is one of the few positions so versatile that its hard to compare. I would not put Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzalez in the same category of what they do (especially someone like Graham who is more of a receiver really.) The problem with it is everyone only looks at what they do as far as yardage and TDs, but Tight ends have to do that little thing called block as well, which many times gets overlooked.

Jason Witten will never be the best receiving Tight End, maybe not even top ten when its all said and done but he's one of, if not the absolute best, blocking tight end there has been. If we're talking best all around tight end, not just "numbers" then Witten is absolutely in the discussion.

You are correct Biopsyman. Any discussion of Tennessee's greatest that doesn't include Atkins is bogus.

He was the only defensive lineman that both Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr were scared of. Bill Curry said Johnny Unitas told him "That man is Doug Atkins,he's 6-8 275 pounds.If you knock him down help him up and say i'm sorry Mr Atkins. Unitas said DO NOT hit Doug Atkins in the knees because he'll get mad and come after me"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
You're delusional. Brady is 11-5 against Manning, thats not by accident.

Last I checked it isn't boxing. They didn't go toe to toe. Their teams played each other. Let's not forget that Peyton played for a terrible franchise from the get go. They had the number one pick for a reason. Brady on the other hand was drafted by a team loaded with talent and Drew Bledsoe had just taken to a Super Bowl a few years before. When Peyton broke the single season TD record (twice) he did so without a Randy Moss.

The problem with trying to say best Tight End, IMO, is that that is one of the few positions so versatile that its hard to compare. I would not put Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzalez in the same category of what they do (especially someone like Graham who is more of a receiver really.) The problem with it is everyone only looks at what they do as far as yardage and TDs, but Tight ends have to do that little thing called block as well, which many times gets overlooked.

Jason Witten will never be the best receiving Tight End, maybe not even top ten when its all said and done but he's one of, if not the absolute best, blocking tight end there has been. If we're talking best all around tight end, not just "numbers" then Witten is absolutely in the discussion.

Shannon Sharpe was a bad mofo too

VN Store

Back