Vols 2019 Class Recruiting Finish - Updated 11/28

VOLuptuousBOOMS

UPDATE 11/28/2018:

Some significant changes from two weeks ago. At my last update, we were coming of a win versus Kentucky and had a lot of momentum with some big time recruits. A lot of that momentum has waned and this update reflects that.

I also added another document for everyone to take a look at. It is what I call the Most Likely Outcome. It shows takes our highest % sign players and puts them in a class of 25. I then took that class of 25 and used the Class Calculator at 247 to compare the composite score to previous years.

Disclaimer: This info is to put together to the best of my knowledge and the % sign are my own personal opinion of how likely we are to sign that player.UT Recruits Class of 2019 - 11-28-18 - Board.png
UT Recruits Class of 2019 - 11-28-18 - MLO.png
From what I can tell, it still looks like Pruitt an Co. are set on taking another RB and another WR. Other than those two positions, I feel as though we are in Best Player Available mode with an emphasis on the DL and LB. If we are able to sign a full class of 25, that only leaves 3 spots available spots for BPA. Obviously we could have some Gitshirts passed out and add a few more off the Best Player Available Board. However I am going to ignore that possibility, as it would get way to circumstantial to try to predict an outcome.

QB - I think the staff is set on rolling with Maurer as our only QB for the class. That is unless Tagovailoa decided he wants in, (5% Chance, down from 10% from last update). It appears that the Helton incident has had no effect on Maurer. He is solid.

RB - I feel as though, our recent offers are a sign that the staff has decided it NEEDS a true RB in this class. And they are hoping to find a "Diamond in the Rough" player to fall back on in case we are not successful with Gray. I think we will continue to see new names pop up until we find our guy or Gray hops in the boat. Getting Gray on board seems to be increasingly more important by the day (75% chance).

WR - Big change here from the last update. Haselwood now seems to be a long shot. Payton committed to MSST. We are swinging for the fences with George Pickens, but the uncertainty in the plains (Auburn) appears to have left that door wide open. We will be fighting off the big boys to sign Pickens (15 % chance). An old familiar name has resurfaced in Jaylen Ellis. We have the last OV before the dead period with Baylor Commit, which is always influential. Odds are it looks like Ellis (30%) or Brown (40%) will be our 2nd WR of the class.

TE - Appears as though we are locked in with Lowe and Brown. No other targets. Both seem to be solid. Holding off Florida for Lowe.

OL - I feel as though Wright is all but locked in (80%). Reminds me alot of the Nigel Warrior recruitment. We will continue to sweat over it until the ink dries. The only other OL on the board is EJ Ndoma-Ogar (15%), and if he jumps in along with Wright then Mcbride may get the git shirt.

DL - Alot of movement from the last update on the DL. We have been swinging for some big fish, most of which were currently committed. It looks as if we may come up empty handed in that attempt. But hey it was worth a try. The one big name recruit we may still have a shot on is Eboigbe (20%). We have and I believe will continue to pursue some CC or GT help on the DL. One new name to watch is Nick Figueroa.

LB - The gloomier it gets down on the plains the brighter it looks over on Rocky Top for Pappoe. I think he signs with UT on early signing day. Other than Wright, he is the target I feel most confident on (75% chance he signs). We are still in on some solid LB. Trezman Marshall is the next most likely blue chipper in my opinion (40%). I have him as a more likely get than To'o'oto (20%) or Crouch (25%). VQ has hinted that if we are able to grab 2 of the above then Henry and/or Clemons may get the git shirt. Another name that has recently joined the board is Chris Russell (15%), low rated recruit but has picked up offers from ARK and AU lately. He may be a prime candidate for a blueshirt. I feel that the LB commit list will look drastically different come February.

DB - Kenyatta Watson is the most legitimate big name target left on our DB board (40%, up from 30% in the last update). Jammie Robinson is another name to watch on the DB board (15%).

Of our current commits it seems we only have Anthony Harris with grade concerns. I believe there are 5 of our current commits that have atleast a 15% of higher chance of not signing with UT. Those commits are Mcbride, Cox, Henry, Clemons, and Beasley. Although I was borderline on Beasley. He is the one I am most confident will sign of that group of 5.

The amout of turnover versus a Butch Jones class has been one of the most drastic differences I notice with Pruitt. He seems to target tough minded individuals that are not scared of a fight, or run from adversity. They commit and stay committed. I like it. I also like that most of recruiting battles have been against the SEC Elite, compared to the Memphis and Louisville battles we had with Jones.

Hope you enjoy the update and lets hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Kenyatta Watson seems like higher than a 30% chance to me.

I think a legitimate finish of D Wright, K Watson, O Pappoe, E Gray, plus a WR and some more depth at DL and LB is a realistic and would be phenomenal finish. This week has been as positive as recruiting has seemed in a long time. Hopes are probably a little TOO high at this point, and we'll come back to reality, but this would be a solid class. Picking up someone like Crouch or Haselwood would be a cherry on the top, but we're in a great spot.

This weekend is huge for Pruitt, both on the field and off. If he can couple a win on the field with an impressive group of recruits, it could go a long way. We have momentum now. Gotta keep it up.

Good thread with good info. Nice work.
I second this. I follow recruiting with the best of them but i just don't comment much. Heck i subscribe to some of the recruiting sites. Keep in eye on Jackson Lowe. Bama and the Gators are pushing for an OV from him and he has a strong relationship with FL LB coach Robinson. Cox is an interesting one. For awhile everyone thought he is gonna flip to AU but here we are months later and he's still committed to the good guys. Gonna be wild next few months in recruiting.

With a lot of recruiting threads being posted of late I hardly hear any mention of Norton out of Memphis. UT has to want to pursue some quality DLinemen and I see that as a must but I see very little info about who we're after and anyone leaning our way. I'm hoping coach rocker has a surprise for us.

With a lot of recruiting threads being posted of late I hardly hear any mention of Norton out of Memphis. UT has to want to pursue some quality DLinemen and I see that as a must but I see very little info about who we're after and anyone leaning our way. I'm hoping coach rocker has a surprise for us.
Norton. Bad senior season. Locked in with UGA as well

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I think Roman Harrison turns into a gem, regardless of ranking. Also, I think he winds up at OLB in this defense.

Something is certainly going on with UT. Butch NEVER EVER got this much talent to look, much less come see what UT is all about. Someone said it before 'some may come just to kick the tires, but leave impressed enough to want a closer look and even come over to the good side'

I think Roman Harrison turns into a gem, regardless of ranking. Also, I think he winds up at OLB in this defense.

Something is certainly going on with UT. Butch NEVER EVER got this much talent to look, much less come see what UT is all about. Someone said it before 'some may come just to kick the tires, but leave impressed enough to want a closer look and even come over to the good side'
agree about Harrison. kid plays tough. he's played out of position in high school at DT, and has been pretty darn good. i think getting him in a more natural spot may allow him to take off. don't know that i expect him to be awesome from day 1 on. but i think he winds up being pretty good for us in the end.

also agree on the rest. you could start to see this last year, just didn't have the time to really make it stand out. this staff is getting the best players in the country to at least listen. and they certainly aren't scared of the notion that if they're committed or leaning to the Bama's, clemson's or Ohio State's of the world, that we have no shot.

wont' get 'em all but i think we're gonna like what we do get when it's all said and done.

And eventually Pruitt won't have to 'flip em' they will come here first. That's when you know this thing is rolling.
yeah, i hear ya. someone yesterday alluded to that as well "be nice if we jut landed 'em first, and didn't have to flip", as if it devalued the "get".

so while i agree....i honestly don't care how they get here. so long as they get here............

It’s also been mentioned from a couple of cruitin’ sites that the magic number is estimated at 27 with two Blueshirts. So that could change the numbers game.

Reactions: jakez4ut

Something is certainly going on with UT. Butch NEVER EVER got this much talent to look

Butch just had peanut butter.
Pruitt has CORNBREAD!

It’s also been mentioned from a couple of cruitin’ sites that the magic number is estimated at 27 with two Blueshirts. So that could change the numbers game.

This has been mentioned before but we have to count some of the scholarships for last years haul. Not sure how many blue shirts we took last year but I've heard at least 3. I have no idea how this works. I would like to see us take 27 and let the coaches work it out with the numbers. Should be a fun ride though :cool::cool::cool:

I remember how chaotic it was last year leading up to Early NSD and the number of high profile visits that CJP and his piecemeal staff at the time was able to bring in.

I wonder if it will be as crazy this year or more subdued?

You also have to factor in what a possible 6-5 or 7-5 finish and a Bowl trip might do for you as well.

So if we land Owen Pappoe, Darnell Wright, and Kenyatta Watson, how high do we finish in the rankings?

Top 5?

Top 3?

VN Store

Back