Volnation Countdown to 2008-2009 basketball thread!

This will be scary watching Pearl's system with long guards, i look forward to seeing the fear on opponents' faces this season..

Georgetown, Marquette, Kansas, Gonzaga and Memphis.

I can't wait...not to mention Siena and the SEC

Details, man! We need details!
Seriously, who looks good? Can you give us a rundown? :hi:

I was at the practice yesterday. Hopson is a beast but he has got to learn to play better defense. I saw him get blown by quite a few times yesterday. I also noticed Pearl and staff consistently telling him to fight over screens and to sprint back on defense. He has incredible talent and once he learns to play defense he will be a key contributor.

The big names (smith, chism, prince, etc.) all played well and put on a show offensively. Brian Williams looked good down low and didn't commit unnecessary fouls.

The biggest surprise to me was Josh Tabb. Everyone knows he plays lock-down defense, but he showed some offensive ability yesterday also. He hit a 3 and had two other baskets and at least 5 assists.

Negyena (spelling?) is going to be a beast and can jump out the roof. Jurrick looked like an awkward player, but he did show some moves down low. Woolridge didn't do much. He had two dunks but other than that didn't stand out much. Stephen Pearl showed he can hit the 3 when open, but he took way too many unnecessary/contested shots.

Saw Childress riding the stationary bike, and Tatum and West sat on the bench during the practice. Tatum looked to have a pretty noticeable limp but it could've been just the way he was walking, not sure. B Maze looked good, dribbled himself into trouble a couple times but didn't turn the ball over much. He also hit some mid-range jumpers, but don't remember him shooting a 3. I felt that he needs to look for a shot more as he drives in the lane, but hopefully that will come with experience.

Overall I was impressed, and thought this team played a little more controlled than previous years. The press they ran caused 3 straight lay-ups and tyler smith knocked down about 4 threes. Can't wait for the season Go vols!!!!

I was at the practice yesterday. Hopson is a beast but he has got to learn to play better defense. I saw him get blown by quite a few times yesterday. I also noticed Pearl and staff consistently telling him to fight over screens and to sprint back on defense. He has incredible talent and once he learns to play defense he will be a key contributor.

The big names (smith, chism, prince, etc.) all played well and put on a show offensively. Brian Williams looked good down low and didn't commit unnecessary fouls.

The biggest surprise to me was Josh Tabb. Everyone knows he plays lock-down defense, but he showed some offensive ability yesterday also. He hit a 3 and had two other baskets and at least 5 assists.

Negyena (spelling?) is going to be a beast and can jump out the roof. Jurrick looked like an awkward player, but he did show some moves down low. Woolridge didn't do much. He had two dunks but other than that didn't stand out much. Stephen Pearl showed he can hit the 3 when open, but he took way too many unnecessary/contested shots.

Saw Childress riding the stationary bike, and Tatum and West sat on the bench during the practice. Tatum looked to have a pretty noticeable limp but it could've been just the way he was walking, not sure. B Maze looked good, dribbled himself into trouble a couple times but didn't turn the ball over much. He also hit some mid-range jumpers, but don't remember him shooting a 3. I felt that he needs to look for a shot more as he drives in the lane, but hopefully that will come with experience.

Overall I was impressed, and thought this team played a little more controlled than previous years. The press they ran caused 3 straight lay-ups and tyler smith knocked down about 4 threes. Can't wait for the season Go vols!!!!

thanks for the info...I can't wait to see this team come together. I'm excited about the new guys, but I really want to see Tyler and Chism play some bball

Thanks for the info, i never really go into TN basketball until about 2 years ago, and i think that was a good time to get into it! I can't wait to see how they are going to do this year!

Before anyone starts clamoring about Childress...you won't see anything out of him this year. He won't be ready until the SEC schedule and even then he'll need minutes (which he won't get) in order to get back into game shape.

VN Store

Back