Vol Navy Information

TheMookieMonster

I have a family friend who is a retired Naval captain. He’s not a Vol fan, but his daughter is a close family friend of my wife and the friend’s dad (the captain) heard about the Vol Navy and loved the idea of it and wanted to look into how to participate.

Does anyone know where I can find more info about the Vol Navy and how to participate? Do you have to reserve dock space? Any info would be helpful. I’d love to find a way to charter a boat and sail down the river with this family for a game this fall, but I’ve never really understood how it all works.

Back in the 80's and 90's there were no rules. Just drive up in a boat and tie up anywhere. We would take a houseboat up a week before the first game and park it at Calhouns for the season. The General Manager there was a friend.

While I know it's blasphemy-I'm just putting this out there in case the Vol Navy thing doesn't work out-

Baylor does kind of the same thing with their new(er) stadium on the river

Needless to say, the spectacle is not nearly as grand as the one in Knoxville

That being said, if there are too many hoops to jump through in Knox-the folks in Texas might be accommodating.

Whatever happens, do us a favor and kinda keep us updated lol. I'm curious as to the mechanics myself honestly

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I have a family friend who is a retired Naval captain. He’s not a Vol fan, but his daughter is a close family friend of my wife and the friend’s dad (the captain) heard about the Vol Navy and loved the idea of it and wanted to look into how to participate.

Does anyone know where I can find more info about the Vol Navy and how to participate? Do you have to reserve dock space? Any info would be helpful. I’d love to find a way to charter a boat and sail down the river with this family for a game this fall, but I’ve never really understood how it all works.
Down the river?? Hope you are up toward the VA or NC lines. Otherwise if you are toward GA or Al you are gonna be going up river. Around here where I live we go UP to Florence Al. (which lies to south) and Down to Paris Tn. (which lies to the north). You think this doesn't confuse "outsiders"? 😂

I got to participate once years ago: it was a fantastic experience and I am forever grateful. My bro had a cabin on the water outside of Knoxville and could go to Neyland by water and did several times. At that time you could just pull up and get a spot, as SaipanVol said. Things may be more formal now. Do it, if you get the chance.

Last edited:
Down the river?? Hope you are up toward the VA or NC lines. Otherwise if you are toward GA or Al you are gonna be going up river. Around here where I live we go UP to Florence Al. (which lies to south) and Down to Paris Tn. (which lies to the north). You think this doesn't confuse "outsiders"? 😂

I’m just down from you a piece.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Niece is in Tuscumbia. If it wasn't in the gumps backyard, it would like the place. As it is , I'm spending Thanksgiving in Alabama. We have also thought about renting a houseboat and going up as a family in November to the Mississippi State game. My wife and all her siblings are State alumni. We bought tickets for Christmas.

Last edited:
Well, yes, he does own a sail boat and as part of his retirement he charters sailboats around the world and sails people around different countries on vacations for a fee.
I heard someone who does that interviewed recently on a podcast about Italy. That didn't happen to be your bro, did it?

God owns the water not government so enjoy,

[Spent 2 years on inland and sea water as a free man]

Be mindful there is still private property, think deep and you can do this for free with an anchor and dinghy :)

Well, yes, he does own a sail boat and as part of his retirement he charters sailboats around the world and sails people around different countries on vacations for a fee.
All in good fun. I’ve known plenty land “seamen”

I'm not an expert, but I do go up to one game every year. If you get up there at least 2 hours prior to kick-off, you should find a spot. Eventually the police will cut off the lines when they extend too far into the channel. I've always been able to find a spot. Raft off with similar size vessels. I'm sure you've seen pictures of the big 40 and 50 footers all lined up, but there are plenty of lines for small boats as well. The lines of smaller craft (20 foot) are kind of like the redneck yacht club. There are plenty of nice ski boats, but honestly I've seen all types. A family on a pontoon with kids swimming in the water and adults sunbathing on the deck. A group of 20-something kids that had refurbished grandpa's pontoon into a floating party barge, and still rocking a 1970's 40-HP Outboard. It's always a great time. People will walk on your boat, usually on the swim platform. So if that makes you nervous, you are going to have issues.

I'm not an expert, but I do go up to one game every year. If you get up there at least 2 hours prior to kick-off, you should find a spot. Eventually the police will cut off the lines when they extend too far into the channel. I've always been able to find a spot. Raft off with similar size vessels. I'm sure you've seen pictures of the big 40 and 50 footers all lined up, but there are plenty of lines for small boats as well. The lines of smaller craft (20 foot) are kind of like the redneck yacht club. There are plenty of nice ski boats, but honestly I've seen all types. A family on a pontoon with kids swimming in the water and adults sunbathing on the deck. A group of 20-something kids that had refurbished grandpa's pontoon into a floating party barge, and still rocking a 1970's 40-HP Outboard. It's always a great time. People will walk on your boat, usually on the swim platform. So if that makes you nervous, you are going to have issues.
What about a houseboat or two? Wife got a big family.

Nevermind, I should read things before I fuss.

I really appreciate it. Just a drunken dream with my brother in laws. They always say they wished State had something cool like that. I tell em them damn cowbells are something interesting. Not in a good way. Some of the worst hangovers ever after State game.

I have always wanted to do this from my folks place in Scottsboro. But alas, I've never had a boat that I had that much confidence in. My dad has a nice pontoon, but without rigging some kind of enclosure somehow, I don't think it would provide enough shelter for the roughly 2 day boat ride (roughly 10 hours of cruisin plus 5 locks by my guesstimation). We could always drive up closer and put in, but have never made it past the discussion stage.

The vol navy is a dream of mine. I've always wanted to do this probably since 7 or 8 years old. I ,personally, feel like it is the best tradition in college football.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
I have always wanted to do this from my folks place in Scottsboro. But alas, I've never had a boat that I had that much confidence in. My dad has a nice pontoon, but without rigging some kind of enclosure somehow, I don't think it would provide enough shelter for the roughly 2 day boat ride (roughly 10 hours of cruisin plus 5 locks by my guesstimation). We could always drive up closer and put in, but have never made it past the discussion stage.
My wife and I are /were looking for some land . She found some around Wright, on the river, around 100 acres, way out my price range, 1.3 million if memory serves correctly, and my first thought was docks and an airb&b and Vol Navy rest stop. IN THEIR BACKYARD. still love the idea. She is not fond of my all orange motif.

Last edited:
Took an oday 30 sailboat there before, stuck out like a sore thumb with a mast and pirate flag 😀 can't climb aboard when the freeboard is higher than a mountain!

VN Store

Back