Vince Dooley looks back at Derek's time at UT and Pruitt

If Dooley had taken over a national championship caliber team, he would've been back at 5-7 or 4-8 five years later. Maybe it was a "bad time", but most coaches take over programs at a "bad time" or the previous coach wouldn't have been fired.

Dooley's much bigger problem is that he alienated pretty much everyone from high school coaches to former players and that he was quite possibly the worst motivator in college football history.

My lasting memory of Dooley will always be Kentucky 2011. Our more talented team came out uninspired and lethargic with a bowl game on the line against a Kentucky team that was forced to use a Wide Receiver as a Quarterback. Absolutely the most pathetic display of football I've ever seen as a UT fan.

fyp, there were still "he done coached them boys up" threads at half time of the 2012 Missouri game.
Get out. Really? I thought most gave up on him when they realized he didnt know what timeouts were for during the Florida game.

Looking back, should have hired Kippy Brown after Kiffin left, gave him all the money he needed to hire a great staff and rolled on. Dooley got the job because of his last name and nothing else. He's more fit to decorate a home than he is coach a team. Mizzou may win Sat but it will be their last win vs Vols for awhile.

Jones woke up and realized he was a dog who caught a car. Job was entirely too big for him and once he got the big buyout, he quit. He's a FCS coach nothing else.

Get out. Really? I thought most gave up on him when they realized he didnt know what timeouts were for during the Florida game.

Sadly it is true and a "if he gets to a bowl he gets another year" thread after the Missouri game.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It’s Tennessee’s fault he was coach here. We chose him; he didn’t force us to hire him. Therefore, I don’t understand the hate for DD. I hate we hired him, but don’t hate him personally.

Dooley did his best to destroy the relationship with HS coaches in the state. I will give Botch credit for rebuilding what Doofus tore down. He was a colossal idiot.

Reactions: dduncan4163
For some reason, I have far less dislike for Derek Dooley than I do for Butch Jones. While I know that both men set out to do a good job and just didn't measure up to the challenge, Dooley seemed much more sincere - but I know he had his issues, too, with former players and some of the media. I think it might be that Jones was such a used car salesman with his empty cliches that it eventually came across as deceptive and much more malicious. Oh well. Glad both are not here any more.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Dooley was an ass, but at least he didn't try to hide it. Butch felt oily. After the first big staff shake-up he never felt trustworthy and it kept getting worse. Both are pretty middle of the road coaches, though Butch was more equiped to handle a Power 5 blue blood. I still think Kiffin was the best in game coach we've had (at least since the moon landing) and better at it than Fulmer.

Reactions: overseasorange2
I'm just gonna say after Doolander and the champion of life's freakin press conferences, It's refreshing to hear Pruitts down to earth no nonsense press conferences.

Dooley is a really good coach....position coach anyways. Can coach up some WRs. Never hadn’t any business being a HC.

If this was meant for me, yea, I assumed he meant Derek.

I'm curious why he's a DB. Obviously he was a terrible HC, but why a DB?

I mean, I don't care, just asking.
I remember the making VFL’s schedule appointments to visit and stories of him nitpicking toilet paper dispensers in the new training facility. There were myriad other fables which could or could not be true...part and parcel with the termination package.

Reactions: MoodyVol
Dooley is a really good coach....position coach anyways. Can coach up some WRs. Never hadn’t any business being a HC.
He was considered a joke by the Cowboys. Know this from firsthand accounts...and the show on Amazon.

Looking back, should have hired Kippy Brown after Kiffin left, gave him all the money he needed to hire a great staff and rolled on. Dooley got the job because of his last name and nothing else. He's more fit to decorate a home than he is coach a team. Mizzou may win Sat but it will be their last win vs Vols for awhile.

Jones woke up and realized he was a dog who caught a car. Job was entirely too big for him and once he got the big buyout, he quit. He's a FCS coach nothing else.
Cincy isn’t a FCS program. He did well there. Prolly something similar is where he lands.

Dooley played at Auburn (1951-53) and was an assistant coach for the Tigers (1956-63) before taking the head coaching job at his alma mater’s rival school.

Pruitt played at Alabama (1995-96) before being an assistant coach for the Crimson Tide (1997, 2007-12, 2016-17) and then taking a head coaching job at a rival school.
Dooley said it was not hard to transition from one school to the other and does not think it was tough for Pruitt either.

“It’s awfully hard for fans to understand,” Dooley said. “While we love our alma mater, we are professionals and we have to take advantage of the opportunity in the profession.

“So once I came to Georgia, I had to commit myself to Georgia, just like Coach Pruitt had to commit himself to Tennessee – because that is your job. Even though you have great respect for where you were, you are now in charge of another program and you have to be totally into that program.”

Hopefully that will soothe some of yall that think Pruitt's heart isn't really here. Don't worry about where Pruitt came from cause he's All Vol now.
Yes I’m sure that most times that is true. But remember that exhead coach Vince Dooley hired both Ray Goff and Jim Donnan while he was A.d. at Ga. hopefully our ex head coach has made a better hire than Vince did as a.d. we will have to wait to see.

I remember the making VFL’s schedule appointments to visit and stories of him nitpicking toilet paper dispensers in the new training facility. There were myriad other fables which could or could not be true...part and parcel with the termination package.

I didn't ask you. Haha.

That doesn't qualify as a D-bag in my book. Bobby Petrino is a D-bag.

VN Store

Back