Vicious Cycle

You said Fulmer had the program in shambles. What about going to Sec Title game every 3 years and improving wins by 3 games anytime we won 8 games or less in a season.......

If that is shambles, I'd love to get your description of what program is in currently.

And that is the beauty about history. You can't twist it. Fact is the program was more volatile with up and down years, but it wasn't in shambles. You'd be a fool to think it was.

Believe what you will and I may been a little over the top by describing it as in shambles but that fact remains Fulmer had lost the championship edge. We wouldn't be far off from where we are if he were still the HBC.

Pruitt will be here another two years because Fulmer stupidly gave him an extension, and the athletic program will be in shambles due to COVID.

He will be gone after that. He is a 7-5 coach without absolute ELITE talent, which he can’t get enough of, because he’s a 7-5 coach.

To put it simply, we are a mid-tier program in perpetuity.

I think we could break this cycle if we could lure a coach that has a history of doing more with less. I can't name specific guys immediately but they are out there.

I don’t trust an elementary PE teacher to rebuild this program

Since he was a high school coach, he's been the defensive coordinator for 2 national championship teams. I get people are unhappy with the state of things, but your statement is ridiculous.

Edit: corrected number of championships

Last edited:
Since he was a high school coach, he's been the defensive coordinator for 2 national championship teams. I get people are unhappy with the state of things, but your statement is ridiculous.

Edit: corrected number of championships

Easy to win a national championship when a NFL defense is handed to you.

They don't fire coaches after 2 or 3 years. But a good portion of the fans are usually calling for them to be fired in that time. And that is not an untruth. As to Pruitt not going anywhere? I don't know that. The end of 2021 hasn't gotten here yet.

This i agree with...but either the fans have an impact or they dont. I was told repeatedly during the height of the Fahr Butch movement this had zero impact on the team morale or performance. I tend to think social media has a great impact on most of teams..

But still...the coaches arent fired by anyone but the administration.

With regard to 2021 and Pruitt..there is an outside possibility it happens before then...but i woild be surprised.
Of course if he loses out...

As with JG, folks talk about ceiling and potential. CJP knows that JG is the best option right now to win and that's obvious. We don't know the misreads, INT's thrown in practice, lack of understanding the offense, not knowing where to go with the ball etc from our other QB's. We have to trust our staff. It's not like they are throwing games and not trying to win or get the team preparing to go out and execute. Somenact like we are on our with Bama, but the reality of it all is that we aren't there yet. With all the tio recruiting classes UGa has brought in lately and they still can't get it done. We're just not there yet.

Bama wasnt on equal footing with us at one time..going through multiple scrub coaches. Then they ponied up the cash for a guybwith a National Title in his resume and some pro experience to boot. In his second year it was over for the rest of the league.

What other profession would keep the same starting QB just because he doesn’t want to hurt his feelings?

Believe whatever you want. I'm not a JG apologist, have said on this board he's a lot like Holly Warlick - hard worker, good kid, heart in the right place, all-Vol, tries, but is never going to be an upper echelon QB and will never lead the Vols to what we all want. (He is also definitely not the only problem, by a long shot.) Personally I take Pruitt at his word - for whatever set of reasons the other guys have not been ready. He might be wrong, one of them might have a break-out season given the chance - but I'd be surprised. In any case, he knows it's his job on the line and I don't buy for a second that he is motivated by not wanting to hurt JG's feelings. And I think VolNation can bring more substance to the debate than lame accusations and resorting to gratuitous, "he's an elementary school PE teacher." Btw, being handed an NFL roster doesn't mean anything. CBJ had no problem squandering many NFL talents - still have to scheme and coach.

Believe whatever you want. I'm not a JG apologist, have said on this board he's a lot like Holly Warlick - hard worker, good kid, heart in the right place, all-Vol, tries, but is never going to be an upper echelon QB and will never lead the Vols to what we all want. (He is also definitely not the only problem, by a long shot.) Personally I take Pruitt at his word - for whatever set of reasons the other guys have not been ready. He might be wrong, one of them might have a break-out season given the chance - but I'd be surprised. In any case, he knows it's his job on the line and I don't buy for a second that he is motivated by not wanting to hurt JG's feelings. And I think VolNation can bring more substance to the debate than lame accusations and resorting to gratuitous, "he's an elementary school PE teacher." Btw, being handed an NFL roster doesn't mean anything. CBJ had no problem squandering many NFL talents - still have to scheme and coach.
At least Butch recruited a NFL roster. How many of our current players are NFL worthy? 3?

This i agree with...but either the fans have an impact or they dont. I was told repeatedly during the height of the Fahr Butch movement this had zero impact on the team morale or performance. I tend to think social media has a great impact on most of teams..

But still...the coaches arent fired by anyone but the administration.

With regard to 2021 and Pruitt..there is an outside possibility it happens before then...but i woild be surprised.
Of course if he loses out...

I don't think the fans have that much of an impact. If they do? You got the wrong people in charge, and you are recruiting some weak minded players. Our fans might act out every once in awhile, but the problem will always be having the right players and staff. As to Pruitt losing out? I don't think that happens, or if it really matters. In a year or two, Saban may step down at Alabama. And in that respect, the fans may have a greater impact on him staying or going. But if he goes? The wonderful Phillip Fulmer will make the next choice. And the fans will be on the edge of their seats as Bob Kesling deftly inspires them with his expertise in broadcast excellence. And the players who earn a spot on an NFL roster will still go on and make millions. And you guys will still show up at Neyland to sing Rocky Top and hope something good happens. It will be OK.

I don't think the fans have that much of an impact. If they do? You got the wrong people in charge, and you are recruiting some weak minded players. Our fans might act out every once in awhile, but the problem will always be having the right players and staff. As to Pruitt losing out? I don't think that happens, or if it really matters. In a year or two, Saban may step down at Alabama. And in that respect, the fans may have a greater impact on him staying or going. But if he goes? The wonderful Phillip Fulmer will make the next choice. And the fans will be on the edge of their seats as Bob Kesling deftly inspires them with his expertise in broadcast excellence. And the players who earn a spot on an NFL roster will still go on and make millions. And you guys will still show up at Neyland to sing Rocky Top and hope something good happens. It will be OK.

So Saban is recruiting weak-minded players? Or was his rat poison comments just hyperbole? Or will only positive comments/high praise from fans and media have an impact?

When someone or a group of someones repeatedly hears a message, be it positive or negative, it begins to sink in and change their thought process, which in turn will impact their actions..

VN Store

Back