VFJ’s Thoughts On Josh Heupel

I’ll just come out with it....

I didn’t expect Danny White to make this kind of hire when talking about wanting to compete for Championships.

Personally, there was several other coaches I would picked over Heupel but since we’re stuck with him now, might as well try to find some positives:

• Seems to be a decent offensive mind which is important in today’s football.

• Talked about wanting to build a winning culture and have fun with it.

• He’s willing to take on the NCAA sanctions that’s fixing to come down on this program.

Again, I don’t see this hire working out 3 years from now. I’m sure he’s a great dude that’s going to do his best but I believe this job is going to be too big for him.

Danny White could have done a better job imo but it is what it is.
More proof of your expertise

This didn’t age well. Also shows what an inexact science this is. Scott Frost was a home run. Tony Elliott turned us down. Heupel was running UCF into the ground.

Blah…blah...blah. This just proves if you find the RIGHT coach, you can compete for championships. And quickly. Just like when we hired Bruce Pearl. Some guys just have “it.”

Most if us have no idea what to even ask a coach in an interview much less actually evaluate coaching talent. 99% hated Heupal hire and those same folks loved the Fulmer & Pruitt hire. Some of us get excited about every change. Every coach. Every recruit because wtf else do we do this for if we cant be eternally hopeful? We are FANATICS right?
It's why we write on message boards and Danny White actually works for the UTAD.

Reactions: sunnyvol79
He’s clearly learning what is working and what isn’t. He’s learned to slow down the offense at times to give the defense a rest and to make the tempo unpredictable to the other team. Heupel is proving to be a great coach, and if he can keep recruiting well and building the roster, this guy will get us back to being a contender for championships.

Excellent points. I felt that by constantly pushing the tempo like we did last year caused some problems with rushed play calling resulting and a lot of quick 3 and outs which put a lot pressure on the defense. I remember a few games where the time of possession was really skewed like 15 minutes of offense and 45 minutes of defense and our defense just wore out. Then we had opposing coaches frequently having players fake injuries (can you say Lane Kiffin?) which negated the fast tempo. This year's tempo is variable as you noted. The result is no more "flopball" and to me, at least, the play calling seems better and we have fewer 3 and outs. Great job CJH and GBO !!!

Reactions: GameTime

I didn’t expect Danny White to make this kind of hire when talking about wanting to compete for Championships.

Personally, there was several other coaches I would picked over Heupel but since we’re stuck with him now, might as well try to find some positives:

• He’s willing to take on the NCAA sanctions that’s fixing to come down on this program.

Again, I don’t see this hire working out 3 years from now. I’m sure he’s a great dude that’s going to do his best but I believe this job is going to be too big for him.

Just another example of you having no idea what you're talking about.

Based on the last 20 years, where are you setting your bar?

Any coach has to want to be here, above all else. The good ones have multiple offers and opportunities.

I was def wrong on the Heupel hire. I was hoping we could snag James Franklin

In defense of the Heupel doubters (and I was one of them, just not in this thread) ...

Didn't it seem like kind of a lazy hire at the time it was made? Danny White told us there would be a coaching search, but then he hired the guy down the hall at UCF. Crow doesn't always taste bad, either. We are glad to be wrong.

Reactions: Godfatha
In defense of the Heupel doubters (and I was one of them, just not in this thread) ...

Didn't it seem like kind of a lazy hire at the time it was made? Danny White told us there would be a coaching search, but then he hired the guy down the hall at UCF. Crow doesn't always taste bad, either. We are glad to be wrong.
I think Danny just ran out of choices he went all in on James Franklin and got turned down. But regardless he got the right guy!

Some people I will never understand.......................from the pits of hell to the top ten in America and people are still not satisfied.

VN Store

Back