VFJ’s Thoughts On Josh Heupel

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
I’ll just come out with it....

I didn’t expect Danny White to make this kind of hire when talking about wanting to compete for Championships.

Personally, there was several other coaches I would picked over Heupel but since we’re stuck with him now, might as well try to find some positives:

• Seems to be a decent offensive mind which is important in today’s football.

• Talked about wanting to build a winning culture and have fun with it.

• He’s willing to take on the NCAA sanctions that’s fixing to come down on this program.

Again, I don’t see this hire working out 3 years from now. I’m sure he’s a great dude that’s going to do his best but I believe this job is going to be too big for him.

Danny White could have done a better job imo but it is what it is.

Here's a nice take I just read from a UCF fan. TLDR version- recruiting sucked and the offensive stats are misleading. Sounds like a great fit for a team that needs to rebuild!

I have been a big proponent of wanting Heupel to move on. I don't think his offense works in a way that is productive when taken as a game as a whole. Yes he will get a lot of yards. UCF also struggled in the red zone. UCF was pretty good at scoring from 20+ yards out, but was middle of the pack in red zone TDs. Too many drives would start with Deep ball, HB Dive into 3rd and 8.
The way the offense is supposed to work is that consistent movement and speed don't allow a defense to adjust to mismatches or call in more elaborate plays. THe offense is supposed to force a pretty base defense or take a risk that a defense can call a play without getting a good read on the offense. Instead Heupel will not get in sync and play against their own strategy. They don't give themselves time to adjust to a defense and they fall for the same problems. UCF has a lot of 3 and outs for what is supposed to be an "elite" offense.
In all I haven't been impressed by the offense as a whole. It struggled more at times than Frost did and never seem to come together. UCF would romp over **** teams, but against competitive teams Heupel would lose focus on how to win. With a 2 possession lead he would still go fast to outscore the opponent. Instead of trying to control the ball late and end the game, he would still hurry to give the ball back to the opponent. Instead of using the offense, which was supposedly stronger, he would force the defense into ending the game.
The real breaker for me with Heupel was recruiting. I don't exect UCF to be on par with a good P5, but there is no reason UCF can't be one of the top G5 teams giving the recent success and location. UCF's classes have been driven by defensive value and a couple transfers like Jaylon Robinson and Tre Nixon. Offensively, Gabriel is the only skill player Heupel has brought in as a non-transfer to get a lot of time. Yes it was only year three, but that number is also 1 player. Frost had an advantage of generating players because of the collapse of the team in 2015, but Heupel brought in almost nothing of note besides Gabriel. The last three years have been watching Frost Guys slowly leave and the offense become more and more unstable.
THis year is going to suck terribly for UCF. I'm not really sure what you can do at this point unless you have a target to hit right now, which I doubt you can do without an AD. This is probably going to be interim Randy Shannon while the team searches. I know this is something people are not happy about, but unless UCF is going to pull something great out of their ass it better to roll with this than hire some rando who will take the job and turns out he is terrible. I did want Heupel gone, but that was in Nov/Dec and not in late January.

Reactions: neuteboomt
Here's a nice take I just read from a UCF fan. TLDR version- recruiting sucked and the offensive stats are misleading. Sounds like a great fit for a team that needs to rebuild!

I have been a big proponent of wanting Heupel to move on. I don't think his offense works in a way that is productive when taken as a game as a whole. Yes he will get a lot of yards. UCF also struggled in the red zone. UCF was pretty good at scoring from 20+ yards out, but was middle of the pack in red zone TDs. Too many drives would start with Deep ball, HB Dive into 3rd and 8.
The way the offense is supposed to work is that consistent movement and speed don't allow a defense to adjust to mismatches or call in more elaborate plays. THe offense is supposed to force a pretty base defense or take a risk that a defense can call a play without getting a good read on the offense. Instead Heupel will not get in sync and play against their own strategy. They don't give themselves time to adjust to a defense and they fall for the same problems. UCF has a lot of 3 and outs for what is supposed to be an "elite" offense.
In all I haven't been impressed by the offense as a whole. It struggled more at times than Frost did and never seem to come together. UCF would romp over **** teams, but against competitive teams Heupel would lose focus on how to win. With a 2 possession lead he would still go fast to outscore the opponent. Instead of trying to control the ball late and end the game, he would still hurry to give the ball back to the opponent. Instead of using the offense, which was supposedly stronger, he would force the defense into ending the game.
The real breaker for me with Heupel was recruiting. I don't exect UCF to be on par with a good P5, but there is no reason UCF can't be one of the top G5 teams giving the recent success and location. UCF's classes have been driven by defensive value and a couple transfers like Jaylon Robinson and Tre Nixon. Offensively, Gabriel is the only skill player Heupel has brought in as a non-transfer to get a lot of time. Yes it was only year three, but that number is also 1 player. Frost had an advantage of generating players because of the collapse of the team in 2015, but Heupel brought in almost nothing of note besides Gabriel. The last three years have been watching Frost Guys slowly leave and the offense become more and more unstable.
THis year is going to suck terribly for UCF. I'm not really sure what you can do at this point unless you have a target to hit right now, which I doubt you can do without an AD. This is probably going to be interim Randy Shannon while the team searches. I know this is something people are not happy about, but unless UCF is going to pull something great out of their ass it better to roll with this than hire some rando who will take the job and turns out he is terrible. I did want Heupel gone, but that was in Nov/Dec and not in late January.
Hasn't been impressed with a top 10 offense. Seriously just stop

200w.gif

I didn’t expect Danny White to make this kind of hire when talking about wanting to compete for Championships.

Personally, there was several other coaches I would picked over Heupel but since we’re stuck with him now, might as well try to find some positives:

• He’s willing to take on the NCAA sanctions that’s fixing to come down on this program.

Again, I don’t see this hire working out 3 years from now. I’m sure he’s a great dude that’s going to do his best but I believe this job is going to be too big for him.

White just admitted in his press conference we was not even considering Heupel!

You are talking out of your ass instead of talking about reasons from an X's and O's perspective he won't be successful
You're acting like he's definitely going to be successful just because you like his X's and O's. He's also regressed every season at UCF where he should have more talent than most of his schedule. Now he's going to have much much less.

You're acting like he's definitely going to be successful just because you like his X's and O's. He's also regressed every season at UCF where he should have more talent than most of his schedule. Now he's going to have much much less.
Lost his star QB to a broken leg right before their 2018 Conference Championship game. Team continued playing just fine.

He’s not impressed with an offense scoring over 40 points a game? I can understand his complaints about offensive tempo late in games when you’re already up, but If he’s saying he’s not impressed with the offense then I don’t wanna hear it.

He has done more as a player and a coach than the last 4 coaches we've hired..
I was about to say- at least he has winning record (unlike Dooley) and he was a good QBs at a high level. I remember watching him at Oklahoma and he was the best Stoops had during that run (He was better than Jason White, who actually won the Heisman a few years after Heupel graduated).

Reactions: FLVOL_79

Even with the “regression,” his team was the number 2 team in the country in total offense! We were 102 in total offense this last season...UCF would have smoked us! We had multiple 4-5 stars. UCF didn’t have 1. This guy can coach.

He’s not impressed with an offense scoring over 40 points a game? I can understand his complaints about offensive tempo late in games when you’re already up, but If he’s saying he’s not impressed with the offense then I don’t wanna hear it.
Deep shot on 1st down, hb dive on 2nd down

"this just doesn't work"
LOL

Reactions: RockyTop140

UCF was 11th in 3rd down conversion % last year and 25th in red zone offense. Did Heupel do poorly or was the standard set very high in the 2 undefeated seasons?

VN Store

Back