Very Concerned

IMO its very disingenuous to shrug off the Missouri loss as just a bad shooting night for the starting guards. There's far more to the story as anyone who's watched even casually for the last 3/4 of a decade would know.

They had a bad shooting night because they took bad shots because they fell into the ugly, disjointed, desperation clusterf we see so often in place of actual execution. Some of "layups" missed were of the all-too-familar twisting, falling, throw up a prayer variety. Look no farther than the paltry number of assisted baskets, I think 7, compared to the 18 assists at Auburn where we, what do you know, won the game.

Barnes comparisons are already getting old, but I was struck by something he said in a pregame interview before his Missouri game. Asked what he would do when the inevitable rough spots during tough SEC road games occurred he answered that he'd regroup the team, refocus them, remind them to play WITHIN themselves, to stick to the offensive plan they know. Ya'll see the men's Missouri game? That's exactly what happened.

Conversely, the LVs so often play WITHOUT themselves, with their sideline totally unable or unwilling to refocus them and return them to any semblance of a plan or execution. While the men listen to the Beatles Within You Without You, LVs been listening to way too much Widespread Panic. This has been the case the entire Warlick tenure, and is why sadly she needs to replaced.

By the way, the songs are metaphorical, I realize none of these kids have heard of any of that old time music!
I was reminded of the semi final game before one of the NC games. Pat called time out when they were down to LSU with little time left and Candace and Nicky refused to let them lose. I miss that fire and leadership in our Lady Vols.

Reactions: T.J.
Would a 12-2 Men's basketball coach be on the hot seat?

What if the Vols are 12-2 at one point this year? Would we be very concerned about them? Would people give CRB down the road? Have the men ever made the final four?
Delusional.

Reactions: T.J.
The talent of this team is adequate to win a National Championship. All they need is another center like Candice Parker and another coach like Pat.

I don't think it is disparaging; it's more of a question of "What are the expectations of the program?" If we are Ole Miss or Mizzou, then what Holly has done would be sufficient.

I know this is an "Apples to Oranges" comparison but given the historical pedigree of both programs, an interesting one.

Let's say Nick Saban retired from Bama after this season. The first season after Saban retired, the team was good but missed the CFB playoff. The second year, the team was not quite as good and was not near the CFB playoff. The third year, the team was a little better but still missed the CFB playoff. By this time, most of Saban's players are gone and the team reverts towards the middle of the SEC for years 4, 5, and 6. It gets passed by a couple SEC teams and loses to Tennessee 4x straight. Does Saban's replacement get a 7th year? (Or even a 6th year?)

Hell no

We can want Holly out but we all know Fulmer is not going to fire her unless noone shows up to the games and hurts their pocket books. She should have been gone last year. She is wrecking this great lady basketball name that Pat built. If Holly wants the best for this program she would step down and let someone more capable take over.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
This is my 1st ever post on the WBBF but I have a scenario to throw out there and want the opinions of some of the regular posters on this forum . I have watched the Lady Vols my entire life (I am 41) and still watch them in the big games , although recently it seems like every time I watch they lose .
I know Coach Summitt basically hand picked Holly to be the heir apparent . I also know that statistically Holly has a decent record & is a good recruiter . I further know that this once proud program has not hung a meaningful banner from the rafters of TBA in over a decade . Let’s just play hypotheticals here and say that there was still a separate Women’s atheletic department . Let’s go even further and say that Coach Pat Summitt was the AD of this hypothetical Department. Would hypothetical AD Summitt still have CHW on the payroll or would she have made the tough call & fired CHW? If so when ? If not what would it take for her to make the difficult call? IMHO it would have happened @ the end of last year. I will ask about what Joan Cronan would have done after a few responses .
Thanks !
Like you, I am new but just find it difficult to watch this team play. I have followed the Lady Vols for many, many years, have hundreds of games on tape and read all her books. I posted in a much less eloquent way a few minutes ago, your very same logic. Pat Summitt would never have tolerated the Lady Vol product on the floor right now. She would have realized that she made a bad call, for a good reason. You are right to say, she would have done the hard thing. She would place the same demands on Holly, her coaching staff and the players, that she would have placed on Pat Summitt. There in lies the answer.

Most of all l think Pat would put her arm around Holly, who she truly and dearly loved, and say "I'm so sorry things have turned out this way. It's alright now, you will not be disappointing me one bit by moving into a new role. I know you gave your best, intangibles are so very hard to coach, and you are an LV forever. This is the right thing for everyone, especially you."

I think Pat would hate seeing Holly in this situation. Totally agree, it was a wrong decision for all the right reasons.

Most of all l think Pat would put her arm around Holly, who she truly and dearly loved, and say "I'm so sorry things have turned out this way. It's alright now, you will not be disappointing me one bit by moving into a new role. I know you gave your best, intangibles are so very hard to coach, and you are an LV forever. This is the right thing for everyone, especially you."

I think Pat would hate seeing Holly in this situation. Totally agree, it was a wrong decision for all the right reasons.

That’s very sweet and may be true, BUT...

Holly’s. Not. Going. Anywhere. Until. She. Reaches. Full. Retirement. Benefit. Age.

She’s 60 now, so my guess is that she’ll coach either 2 or 5 more years.

That’s very sweet and may be true, BUT...

Holly’s. Not. Going. Anywhere. Until. She. Reaches. Full. Retirement. Benefit. Age.

She’s 60 now, so my guess is that she’ll coach either 2 or 5 more years.
What if they don’t even reach the tournament this year? Would she still be here? How do you know she isn’t leaving or will get fired?

I believe the SEC gets 7 spots in the tournament. Should TN end up middle of SEC, a tourney invite will still be available. What probably isn't going to happen is hosting a couple of games.

What if they don’t even reach the tournament this year? Would she still be here? How do you know she isn’t leaving or will get fired?

At this point I can't see Holly choosing to uproot her entire life to start over in a new place, coaching for another program. So she'd have to be fired, and I can't see Fulmer firing her since she is likely going to be financially capable to retire fairly soon, anyway. I'd bet the farm that UT is going to let her ride it out at least until she reaches full-benefit retirement age.

I believe the SEC gets 7 spots in the tournament. Should TN end up middle of SEC, a tourney invite will still be available. What probably isn't going to happen is hosting a couple of games.

I'm not convinced the SEC gets 7 teams. They are very weak this year. MSST is the only lock IMO. If the rest of the teams all beat each other up, I can see a few being left out. I think SC, UK and Mizzou will make the field. The rest will need to not have bad losses.

At this point I can't see Holly choosing to uproot her entire life to start over in a new place, coaching for another program. So she'd have to be fired, and I can't see Fulmer firing her since she is likely going to be financially capable to retire fairly soon, anyway. I'd bet the farm that UT is going to let her ride it out at least until she reaches full-benefit retirement age.

I don't think Holly has to worry about uprooting to coach another program because I doubt there any schools interested in her services

VN Store

Back