Vandy hires Shea Ralph as next head coach.

I think there's a pretty good chance she will bring talent from the UConn team to help jumpstart Vandy. UConn is currently oversold and players are going to have to leave.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I think there's a pretty good chance she will bring talent from the UConn team to help jumpstart Vandy. UConn is currently oversold and players are going to have to leave.
The idiotic Vandy fans will probably think she'll turn Vandy into UConn South and they will be badly disappointed. It will be the same ole shytt for Vanderbilt women's basketball.

The older lady whose afraid to leave Geno and be a coach on her own is Genos right hand. Time will tell if this is a good hire.

Absolutely a homerun for Vandy...
100.gif

Reactions: Border Vol
This was a lose-lose situation. Unless Shea brings the UConn "B-Squad" with her, Vandy will still suck next year and probably won't get better for a few years. This might actually hurt Shea if her goal is to ultimately take over for Geno up North.

I agree that it hurts her resume overall. There's no way that team will be coming out of the basement anytime soon.

This strikes me as odd, given that I don't see Geno coaching too many more years (he's 67). It reminds me of when Nielle Ivey went to Memphis out of nowhere before going back to ND.

But...but...she has her husband as her assistant! :eek::eek::eek:

I mean, that was a major knock against Kellie...or maybe not...unless it was just another excuse to criticize...no, surely no one would be that:eek: petty...I guess....

The main knock was that is clearly violates Tennessee's anti-nepotism law relating to state employees (which includes coaches at UT because UT is a public university), even though UT made up a rule to bypass their own policy and are acting like Kellie isn't his boss -- which of course is ridiculous.

Tom is the associate head, but I'm curious who she signs as assistant coaches. If she implements Geno's model the assistants have a great impact on the team. She will probably draw a couple of players with her. A 6'5" post and an athletic wing are really likely. The question is which 2 players? If it's the two I think, it will generate some buzz so Vandy is in the positive news business for a little more time. She is a top notch recruiter who has relationships with 2022, 2023 prospects. I would not be surprised if she hasn't been on the phone for the last 48 hours with 2022 prospects and 2021 transfers selling them that Vandy is now a place for players who want to go to the next level.
That's great you can go root for Vanderbilt then

982028D3-518B-46B3-963D-D0A118D004D5.jpeg

Vandy is buzzing right now, and they should be...
Just like they did over Steph and Caroline, who actually had HC experience and a natty under her belt. And bailed quickly at the futility. Not one of your better efforts this time Darth. Your overselling the Shea love.
But...but...she has her husband as her assistant! :eek::eek::eek:

I mean, that was a major knock against Kellie...or maybe not...unless it was just another excuse to criticize...no, surely no one would be that:eek: petty...I guess....
Becoming a downright trend isn't? There's what, four or five spousal units as coaches now? Including current It-Girl Barnes at Arizona. The Harpers been doing it forever, before it was cool. l think its great, and I believe in every case, the guy's the assistant. She's the boss. That's a pretty good example.

The main knock was that is clearly violates Tennessee's anti-nepotism law relating to state employees (which includes coaches at UT because UT is a public university), even though UT made up a rule to bypass their own policy and are acting like Kellie isn't his boss -- which of course is ridiculous.
The Weekly’s say hi...

Just like they did over Steph and Caroline, who actually had HC experience and a natty under her belt. And bailed quickly at the futility. Not one of your better efforts this time Darth. Your overselling the Shea love.

White was an outside-the-box hire who was barely above .500 as a coach... in the WNBA. I'm sure some fans were excited, but her lack of success at the college level can't be a huge surprise.

Landing the chosen one who was going to take over for Geno is an impressive coup for Vandy, especially since Ralph could have had her choice of a lot better job openings than this one. It's cute White and Peck have their natty. Ralph has been a part of seven. Does that guarantee success? No, but I like her chances a lot better than her predecessor...

No idea whether this is a good hire or not time will tell but if she can bring in some talent quickly from who cares where it will be worth it to them.

This was a lose-lose situation. Unless Shea brings the UConn "B-Squad" with her, Vandy will still suck next year and probably won't get better for a few years. This might actually hurt Shea if her goal is to ultimately take over for Geno up North.

I thought Chris Dailey could be Aureimma's successor.

The older lady whose afraid to leave Geno and be a coach on her own is Genos right hand. Time will tell if this is a good hire.

Chris Dailey has never seemed to have an interest in a head coaching job. As the Associate Head Coach at UConn she makes about a half million dollars a year and likes living in Connecticut. There are parts of Geno's job -- probably any top coaching job -- that she would not enjoy. Some people know a good thing when they have it.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Chris wanted the Rutgers job before they hired CViv and I think that was the last time she really wanted to leave (She has a AIAW championship from 1982 as a player at Rutgers and was an assistant coach there before she moved to Uconn.) Sometimes the grass isn't greener.

As for Shea - interesting hire. Definitely not a sure thing since this is her first HC job. But she has been recruiting P5 type players for 13 years. And this new world of transfer portal explosion is a definite positive for coaches at new programs - a ready source of immediate recruits rather than the two year process of building relationships with HS kids that is typically required.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Do you want to take a chance on an assistant who has spent the last decade+ learning at the most dominant dynasty in the history of the game who was also generally considered to be the successor to the most dominant coach in the history of the game, or do you want to hire a retread who has already proven she can't recruit/sustain a power 5 program?

Vandy is buzzing right now, and they should be...
Ummm. Sounds like Holly...

Does this mean that ESPN will now be opening a satellite office in Nashville?

For the amount of attention being paid to a former Uconn assisstant, one might think VolNation had been (temporarily, we hope!) turned into a satellite office of the boneyard.

If Ralph is able to resuscitate the Vandy program, her hiring just might have some impact on our Lady Vols three or four years down the road.

For the amount of attention being paid to a former Uconn assisstant, one might think VolNation had been (temporarily, we hope!) turned into a satellite office of the boneyard.

If Ralph is able to resuscitate the Vandy program, her hiring just might have some impact on our Lady Vols three or four years down the road.

Could be a really great in state rivalry for us. Increasing level of competition in the SEC simply means we have to get better as well.

Chris Dailey has never seemed to have an interest in a head coaching job. As the Associate Head Coach at UConn she makes about a half million dollars a year and likes living in Connecticut. There are parts of Geno's job -- probably any top coaching job -- that she would not enjoy. Some people know a good thing when they have it.
She’s afraid to be a head coach because she’s got it made there. I have no respect for her for not taking on a real challenge. Life on easy street.

VN Store

Back