Vandy becoming the real UT

don't be surprised if some "disadvantaged" folks are given more looks than before. (No kidding, I've heard a comments along the lines of VU becoming a "culturally appropriating HBC". It does look like some kids are giving them some looks that maybe wouldn't have a few years ago).
).

Ugh.........NO.

Vanderbilt has taken the opportunity of being in the SEC conference with a Big South team to fill their coffers. They had a decision to make at some point to compete or not compete in football. They decided not to, at least financially. They opted to spend the minimum on football, take the SEC network/ bowl split money and build their other programs. It has worked out well for them. The athletic department is running a surplus and have decent programs across the board spending only 30 million on football. These are guesstimates since they are not required to report this data publicly. There is no acceptable excuse for ever losing a football game to Vanderbilt.

Was a time the pseudo-military officers were THE Tennessee team. They were why General Neyland, a real military officer was hired. If not in Pruitt, we may have to hire another real military officer to storm the gates of Nashville.

Last edited:
Vandy will never be in the natty conversation bc they have strict requirements for students. It's that simple as the years go and as we continue to get better recruits things will go back to normal

Reactions: norrislakevol
I remember as a kid listening to John Ward call the game ('82 or '83) with Alan Cockrell as our QB. We got beat by Vandy that year. Eventhough I was young, I remember feeling as though we should not have gotten beat.

On a side note, Cockrell was #6 and the reason I will always remember him is because of that Vandy game.

With Vandy owning us the last few years, the new generation only knowing a UT team that loses to Vandy, and Vandy being in the heart of Nashville where almost everyone moving in is from another part of the country and holding no emotional ties to the past or clinging onto stories of the good old days......

Is there a chance that if things do not change in the next few years, that Vandy becomes the new UT and the Vols are left by the side of the road?
NO there is not a chance, look at how their recruiting is going compared to ours. We have commitment, they are content. They better relish what has happened over the last few years, we are fixing to send them back to where they belong. GBO!!!!!

Last edited:
If the suddenly start putting money in and expand their stadium...

What then?

Lol apparently you don’t remember even under Franklin they were only getting 30K to show up. It’s one of the reasons he left; he knew it would never be any better.

Reactions: feathersax
Vandy's last two coaches have actually been pretty good football coaches. Thwy have taken layers who were not as highly rated as ours and have beaten our butts. While players are very important they do need direction and coaching to become the players who win football games.
I realize that we are beginning to recryit players who can be coached and win football games. We now have coaches who can develop players so they can reach their potential. We all know what our problems have benn and they have been addressed. Vandy will still be well coached, but they will not have the caliber of players that CJP is bringing in. I look forward to seeing the next 10-15 years of Tennessee football and comparing it to what we have seen in the last 10 years.

Reactions: norrislakevol
It’s a valid question....

A lot of boo or gifs but facts are facts.

Vandy in heart of city with 2 million plus metro and growing fast with out of staters.

Much easier to get to stadium.

Winning record over UT lately.

Bowl games to actually go to.

I am not saying now but in 10 years if things don’t change and Vandy starts getting better there could easily be a fan flip.
You're trying so hard, but failing.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
With Vandy owning us the last few years, the new generation only knowing a UT team that loses to Vandy, and Vandy being in the heart of Nashville where almost everyone moving in is from another part of the country and holding no emotional ties to the past or clinging onto stories of the good old days......

Is there a chance that if things do not change in the next few years, that Vandy becomes the new UT and the Vols are left by the side of the road?
Sure. They’ll get Meyton Panning and Wal Ailson this recruitin.... just sthu dude

It’s a valid question....

A lot of boo or gifs but facts are facts.

Vandy in heart of city with 2 million plus metro and growing fast with out of staters.

Much easier to get to stadium.

Winning record over UT lately.

Bowl games to actually go to.

I am not saying now but in 10 years if things don’t change and Vandy starts getting better there could easily be a fan flip.

Still number 11 in the nation in football profitability. Folks are still buying our stuff, going to our games etc. Vandy as a private school does not provide such information but they play in a mid sized high school stadium, have no marketing, no significant fan support.

Still recruiting players on a national scale, Vandys best post WWII recruiting class is still behind our worst class.

123 spots ahead of Vandy in swag sales

Peyton Manning is getting his own TV sports show and is a great ambassador for the Vols

Jason Witten just left a TV national show as and is a great ambassador for the Vols.

Vandy doesn't that equivalent national exposure

As soon as MLS soccer comes to Nashville all 4 Vandy fans will move their allegiance to that.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: feathersax
Even though they've beaten us a bunch over the decade, they still haven't had great success in the SEC. That paired with limited resources and abysmal past, I don't see it happening. Unless, they become a Stanford...

Can somebody hit this guy with a brick...

Reactions: Boca Vol

VN Store

Back