Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name (The Tennessean)

Tennessee is 72-11-2 against Vanderbilt since 1928.
Giving a name to this farce is an insult to all other actual rivalries.
I think you nailed it! Call it either "The
Farce Bowl" or "The Insult to ALL other ACTUAL Rivalries Bowl". :good!:

If they went to the Big 10 or ACC, I might actually watch their games. They might have a decent chance of being a factor some years if they started managing their program and upgrade their facilities.

What irks me is the Tennesseean wants to sponsor it. Which would lead me to suggest calling it the Rag Bowl for obvious reasons.

However, they could call it the Tee-Pee bowl.
(Tennessee vs Peabody)

I've always thought Vandy would be a great fit in the B1G, but I don't want a B1G team in the SEC. It would take some maneuvering, but I've always thought Georgia Tech would be a much better fit. They were in the SEC for something like thirty or forty years, so there's some history. Plus it preserves a rivalry for Georgia, and they are a good fit geographically to join the East.

Reactions: 1 person
:blink: That's not exactly accurate. Off the top of my head, in the last 6 years; the tally is:
Tn-4 wins vs. Vandy-2 wins.

Heard something awful the other day, I even cringe to re-type it but I must. Since 1993, Tennessee has as many wins against Florida and Vandy has against Tennessee.

I'm not saying the game needs a name, but I'm not ready call call it the "blowout bowl" just yet. I would have gone for that in 2004, even in 2011. But we need to graduate another class that has never lost to candy...

Heard something awful the other day, I even cringe to re-type it but I must. Since 1993, Tennessee has as many wins against Florida and Vandy has against Tennessee.

Heh, this is how "internet facts" get born.

What you read was that Vandy has beaten the Vols almost as many times (3) since 1993 as the Vols have beaten Florida (4).

Gotta be careful with cherry-picked facts like that, though. The "since 1993" is the clue to watch for a bit of trickeration. In this case, the years are carefully chosen to avoid the fact that the Vols beat Florida two out of three years from 1990-1992 (and Vandy won none of those years, of course). So if you want to say 1993-2014, it's 4 vs 3 ... or you could say 1990-2014, it's 6 v 3.

Either way, that's far too many wins for Vandy (1 is too many) and not nearly enough wins for the Vols against the Gators. Think we're gonna start redressing the balance in 2015. :good!:

VN Store

Back