Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name (The Tennessean)

If one absolutely insists on giving Vanderbilt pseudo-equal billing, it could be named the Neyland/McGugin trophy in honor of the greatest coaches in the respective histories of the two programs.

I think a name that honors two historic coaches--especially our beloved General--is totally worthy. The one thing this whole idea necessarily lacks (for lack of time) is the accumulated heft of tradition (like the 1925-97 "Beer Barrel" had for the Tennessee / Kentucky game).

Adorning the cup or trophy with the names Neyland and McGugin, both legendary coaches whose coaching stints were interrupted by world wars, gives the award long, deep roots in college football history.

As for the order of the names, I think phonetics should determine. It's tougher on the tongue to get from d to t so if the award is a trophy, I'd vote Neyland/McGugin Trophy. If it's a cup, then call it the McGugin/Neyland Cup.

But don't be surprised if it ends up being one of those giant, heinous wooden plaques, shaped like the state of Tennessee. Political correctness will require it be from repurposed wood, maybe combining teak from one of the Commodores old yachts and old barnwood from Knox County.

If it has to go that route, at least make it from yacht teak and inlay it with repurposed copper from... well, east Tennesseans still know where to find old copper. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 2 people
I think a name that honors two historic coaches--especially our beloved General--is totally worthy. The one thing this whole idea necessarily lacks (for lack of time) is the accumulated heft of tradition (like the 1925-97 "Beer Barrel" had for the Tennessee / Kentucky game).

Adorning the cup or trophy with the names Neyland and McGugin, both legendary coaches whose coaching stints were interrupted by world wars, gives the award long, deep roots in college football history.

As for the order of the names, I think phonetics should determine. It's tougher on the tongue to get from d to t so if the award is a trophy, I'd vote Neyland/McGugin Trophy. If it's a cup, then call it the McGugin/Neyland Cup.

But don't be surprised if it ends up being one of those giant, heinous wooden plaques, shaped like the state of Tennessee. Political correctness will require it be from repurposed wood, maybe combining teak from one of the Commodores old yachts and old barnwood from Knox County.

If it has to go that route, at least make it from yacht teak and inlay it with repurposed copper from... well, east Tennesseans still know where to find old copper. :thumbsup:

"THE GENERAL BOWL" with an old school 1900's football as the trophy.
--OR ---
"THE GENERAL'S CUP" with an old school 1900's helmet as the trophy.

Reactions: 1 person
The idea that any Tennessee fan would actually fall for this rouse by The Tennessean to elevate Vanderbilt by putting some type of importance on this afterthought of a game is disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
why this game should be consider for a trophy or anything is beyond me

I figure money. TV audience.

With every SEC game televised somewhere, each game becomes its own competitive product in a saturated market.

Every state has its "bitter, interstate rivalry" but that phrase alone won't attract an audience. Even Rhode Island has URI vs. Brown--and calling it the "Strive for I-95" is more likely to draw viewers to Google Maps than the broadcast.

But, for example, even when both teams are dismal, every few years I check out Mississippi's "Egg Bowl" just to remind myself now what-the-heck is that about?

Last edited:
Could just call it the Neyland cup... We play them at Neyland in Knoxville
and little Neyland west in Nashville...

One of the resident Gator fans actually nailed it earlier. We shouldn't justify this game with any importance other than as a stepping stone to us winning the East. Vandy has beat us three times since I've been alive. No need to make it something it hasn't been in decades because we've had a bad run since 07. Honestly, I would even like to see Vandy leave the conference if they could be replaced by a quality team (Georgia Tech or Clemson comes to mind).

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere, and merge if necessary, but I saw it on Twitter today and thought VN's suggested names could get interesting.

"What’s a good name for the Vanderbilt-Tennessee rivalry? I’d be interested in your thoughts. For the rabid fan, try to keep the venom aside. Selected suggestions will be published in a future column; the best of the suggestions will be presented to Vols coach Butch Jones, Commodores coach Derek Mason and the two universities’ athletic departments.

The Tennessean is willing to supply the trophy (or cup) for the two rivals to pass back and forth each year. But, first the game needs a name."

Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name

??? :crazy:

I agree with those who say this game deserves no cup.
But, if they insist on one, here is the only non-joke name I can come up with.
The V Cup for Vols/Vandy.
Paint each side Orange/Gold.

You have to go back when TN and Vandy became a rival. Apparently Vandy whooped us before Neyland came. and the AD said to "even the score against Vandy"..

So what about "SETTLE THE SCORE" ?

I don't think I've seen this posted anywhere, and merge if necessary, but I saw it on Twitter today and thought VN's suggested names could get interesting.

"What’s a good name for the Vanderbilt-Tennessee rivalry? I’d be interested in your thoughts. For the rabid fan, try to keep the venom aside. Selected suggestions will be published in a future column; the best of the suggestions will be presented to Vols coach Butch Jones, Commodores coach Derek Mason and the two universities’ athletic departments.

The Tennessean is willing to supply the trophy (or cup) for the two rivals to pass back and forth each year. But, first the game needs a name."

Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name

Vandy needs this game to have a name. We don't. Don't take the bait.

Reactions: 3 people
The "Please God, don't let the butthead vandy players take cheaps shots to our players knees because we have a SECC game and a major bowl game to play and vandy has nowhere to go bowl"

VN Store

Back