Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name (The Tennessean)

Tennessee is 72-11-2 against Vanderbilt since 1928.

Giving a name to this farce is an insult to all other actual rivalries.

Exactly. It's not a rivalry, no matter how much those dolts at Pravda on the River try to make it so

Reactions: 4 people
The same Tennessean that has been pumping negative story after negative story against UT? What's the trophy, A likeness of CBJ getting kicked in the nads?

Ammenheuser, the Tennessean's sports editor, is a recent transplant from, I believe, Arizona, and he simply does not realize how big Tennessee football is within the Volunteer State. He has done a great disservice by deemphasizing coverage of UT athletics, simply because, in my opinion, he greatly underestimates the midstate contingent of Tennessee loyalists and woefully overestimates the ranks of Vanderbilt fans.

If we had to formally designate a nickname for this game, I would propose:

The Volunteer Cup (yes, it is our nickname but Tennessee is also the Volunteer State)

The (Davy) Crockett Cup

and, my personal favorite, The Annual Bloodletting (of the Black and Gold)

Reactions: 1 person
"The only game each year that people in Tennessee knows vandy has a team" game.

Reactions: 1 person
Ammenheuser, the Tennessean's sports editor, is a recent transplant from, I believe, Arizona, and he simply does not realize how big Tennessee football is within the Volunteer State. He has done a great disservice by deemphasizing coverage of UT athletics, simply because, in my opinion, he greatly underestimates the midstate contingent of Tennessee loyalists and woefully overestimates the ranks of Vanderbilt fans.

If we had to formally designate a nickname for this game, I would propose:

The Volunteer Cup (yes, it is our nickname but Tennessee is also the Volunteer State)

The (Davy) Crockett Cup

and, my personal favorite, The Annual Bloodletting (of the Black and Gold)

LOL, I do like the Crockett cup.

I recommend a trinomial:

-- The December Scrimmage (name used by Vols fans)
-- The Azz Whuppin' (name used by 'Dore fans)
-- The December Scrimmage Azz Whuppin' (name used by the media)

The "These 4 Vandy season tickets for my family to see 1 game in their highschool stadium this year cost me less than the beer and pizza I would've spent had I stayed at home and watched the game on my sofa.......Bowl"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I had been thinking Crockett or the Bourbon Bowl, but I guess that's out of the question since Adam Sandler already starred in that one. I had thought about the backwards bowl, but no one would get it.

Simple, just make it a battle for "The Commodore Cup".. All fancy black and gold cup with Vanderbilt decorations..

This said cup would reside at UT.. Where no Vanderbilt players and fans can see but once a year during game time..

Last edited:
The Orange & Black Bowl
The Tennessee Bowl
The War Bowl (Volunteers vs. Commodores both have ties to the military)
The God's Country Bowl (Tennessee is God's Country)
The Cumberland Bowl
The Whiskey Bowl (Tennessee is famous for Jack Daniels)

Personal Favorite: The Whiskey Bowl

No love for George Dickel?

For shame...

Either way, I like my rivals just like I like my whiskey...splashed on the rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Simple, just make it a battle for "The Commodore Cup".. All fancy black and gold cup with Vanderbilt decorations..

This said cup would reside at UT.. Where no Vanderbilt players and fans can see but once a year during game time..

Have the trophy gold and black and shaped like a Commode.

Toilet Bowl

If we beat them it doesn't mean crap and if they beat us it means our program is down the drain.

Reactions: 6 people
Since such a trophy would reside in Knoxville the overwhelming majority of the time, one could also justifiably call it the Cafego Cup. Nobody harbored a more visceral disdain for the Black and Gold than Coach Cafego.

Reactions: 2 people
The Orange & Black Bowl
The Tennessee Bowl
The War Bowl (Volunteers vs. Commodores both have ties to the military)
The God's Country Bowl (Tennessee is God's Country)
The Cumberland Bowl
The Whiskey Bowl (Tennessee is famous for Jack Daniels)

Personal Favorite: The Whiskey Bowl

Don't get me started on Vanderbilt's "ties" to the military...

VN Store

Back