Vacation / Travel

Would definitely do two islands, especially if you want to see Pearl Harbor. All of the islands have their pros and cons, so it just depends on what you’re looking for. Hiking, snorkeling, beaches, restaurants, golf, fishing, waterfalls, solitude, stargazing, volcanoes, luaus, learning to surf, etc? Depending on which of these are most important will make a difference which island.

Beaches, snorkeling, hiking, volcanos.

Beaches, snorkeling, hiking, volcanos.
If seeing an active volcano is on your list then the Big Island it is. Based on this, maybe you consider doing the Big Island and Maui/Kauai and doing a long layover on Oahu to see Pearl Harbor. The best beaches on Oahu are on the windward side, there’s some mixed hiking opportunities over there too, like the Lanikai Pill boxes and Crouching Lion. But trail access can be spotty and since it’s on the wet and steep side of the island it can be pretty treacherous depending on the trail. Also there aren’t really any resort options. Would be limited to an Airbnb/vrbo and I’ve never found very good options. North Shore has some good beaches, but there’s only one resort up there, and in the spring there may still be some swells which would prevent any snorkeling and there aren’t really any hiking opportunities. I think Maui has the best beaches and snorkeling. However, with the snorkeling you have to get there early before the rest of the crowds do, unless you don’t mind the crowds, doing a snorkel trip to molokini is a cost effective way to see a pretty cool snorkeling spot but they keep people roped into a little area and you end up bumping heads w others. I can tell you about a great little spot you can access on your own, otherwise would recommend getting a private charter for a very memorable trip. The beaches are the best in the Wailea area, and my favorite Big Beach is like many good beaches, a state park. There are also several good hiking opportunities. The only issue with these different spots on Maui is that they’re kind of spread out. If you’re going to be driving some, I’d pick the big island. It’s big, and some driving is required but it’s less crowded, and there’s a variety of cool things to do and see. Hikes vary from paved paths to amazing waterfalls to lava fields in the national park. I think the snorkeling is underrated on the big island and isn’t super crowded.

Is there a more polarizing travel destination than Disney? Some folks love it and others despise it. Enjoy your trip!
I have a neighbor who said he did not like Paris. I asked him why, and he said "they didn't put ice in the water".
Disney is great for children. Some parts are good for adults. I don't like crowds or rides so there are better choices for me. Not Dollywood.

Is there a more polarizing travel destination than Disney? Some folks love it and others despise it. Enjoy your trip!

I've been twice as an adult and enjoyed it, but it's definitely exhausting.

But this is our daughter's first trip, and there's nothing quite like seeing your child light up like that. Her expression when we tell her we're going almost every day is awesome enough. It also brings back that nostalgia from when I went as a kid

I've been twice as an adult and enjoyed it, but it's definitely exhausting.

But this is our daughter's first trip, and there's nothing quite like seeing your child light up like that. Her expression when we tell her we're going almost every day is awesome enough. It also brings back that nostalgia from when I went as a kid

Our granddaughter went when she was about 3-5 y.o.
One of the cutest things I've ever heard/seen was when my wife asked her if she saw moana there. "Yes." How about Cinderella? Yes. Then she said "Grandmom they're ALLLL there". Little girls and princesses!!

Reactions: vollygirl and Carp
Our granddaughter went when she was about 3-5 y.o.
One of the cutest things I've ever heard/seen was when my wife asked her if she saw moana there. "Yes." How about Cinderella? Yes. Then she said "Grandmom they're ALLLL there". Little girls and princesses!!

We plan on taking our granddaughter when she's 5. I've never been so it should be a good time.

Love Disney. I lived in Orlando for two summers in college doing summer missions, and we always did Disney to close the summer. Honeymoon was there, and have been back once since then. I'll go back when there aren't any mask mandates in place there.

More recently, went with the wife, brother, and SIL to New Orleans in March. Very cool city; had a very Venice like feel.

Love Disney. I lived in Orlando for two summers in college doing summer missions, and we always did Disney to close the summer. Honeymoon was there, and have been back once since then. I'll go back when there aren't any mask mandates in place there.

More recently, went with the wife, brother, and SIL to New Orleans in March. Very cool city; had a very Venice like feel.
My understanding is there is a push on to make NO like Venice. There's about 1000 years difference in age so it's hard to picture them being very similar except for the canals.

Returning to normal bump.

Headed to Vegas for a week Sunday. We have day trips planned to Death Valley, Mt Charleston and the west rim of the Grand Canyon. 1st vacation since March of last year and we're ready to go.
We've taken three domestic trips since last March. Hoping to get to do our postponed Africa trip.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I was in Africa just after the rainy season in 1969. Things were different, then. Have the best time, volwindy!

Reactions: volwindy

VN Store

Back