Vacation / Travel

volwindy

sunshine hiker
AM64, we were staying at Southern Sun also. Volwindy, we were going for 8 days, just the safari part, packing only a carryon and backpack. Im a pretty light traveler anyway, but it was suggested, stay away from whites and bright colors-animals don't care for the colors. Oh well, get to think about all this for next year.
We are going in September for two weeks, at least I can only hope so! Not cancelling at this point as we are still a long way out.

My sister set up the company we went with and they were great about every detail and what to pack, not pack, colors, etc. I already have good hiking pants and shoes to use that will work, but I've had to do a lot of ordering (and returning) of shirts online from Columbia, Eddie Bauer and Amazon just to find the right color (and of course fit). My local Eddie Bauer store told me spring would be a good time for the colors I need.

AM64

We are going in September for two weeks, at least I can only hope so! Not cancelling at this point as we are still a long way out.

My sister set up the company we went with and they were great about every detail and what to pack, not pack, colors, etc. I already have good hiking pants and shoes to use that will work, but I've had to do a lot of ordering (and returning) of shirts online from Columbia, Eddie Bauer and Amazon just to find the right color (and of course fit). My local Eddie Bauer store told me spring would be a good time for the colors I need.
Good luck. I just took a quick look at Amazon - my wife got Columbia Bahama and Bonehead shirts What I noticed is that in men's you get a page that has all the colors and you click size and see the available colors - women's don't seem to work that way. Also we seem to have the corner on the muted colors.

VolGirl81

I hope you guys don’t have to cancel! Should be far enough out. We were leaving April 6.

At least we were able to reschedule for a year out. We were waiting on govts to make non citizen entry/quarantine issues official for safari camp to reschedule. South Africa didn’t take too long, however, Botswana took forever. Botswana currently has no covid cases. I wanted to reschedule sooner, but who knows whats going to happen. Our fear was Africa would be the last to get covid cases and we would have to postpone again.

Im disappointed, but it is what is. My meds will last til next year, typhoid pills last 5 years, 2nd hepatitis shot in June and still have malaria/antibiotic pills. Fingers crossed you get to go!

MEDVOL

RIGHT BETWEEN THE 'EERS
Any suggestions for a nice beach to visit in NC or SC? We were going to fly to Naples, FL and stay at a nice resort in early September. But not sure that’s going to happen now. We’d be driving from WV. Myrtle Beach is a no. We’ve considered the Outer Banks, Charleston/Kiawah/Seabrook Island, and Hilton Head. Need a nice pool. Would like to have a nice beach but not sure any will compare to the Florida Gulf Coast. Like good restaurants, although not sure we’ll be able to take advantage of them like usual. TIA.

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
If you want a beach anything close to what you get in FL gulf coast and reasonable proximity to a lot of restaurants, I think you're looking at Isle of Palms or Hilton Head. Too me, Hilton Head is like Destin with yankees instead southerners. So the choice would be easy (Isle of Palms). If I had to vacation in the general vicinity of where you're looking, I'd sacrifice restaurant selection and stay at Fripp or Edisto, both of which have nice beaches.

Go aeiou

Look at Holden beach, Ocean Isle beach, Carolina beach, Wrightsville beach all in NC outside of Wilmington. For food take a trip to Calabash.
We have friends in Ocean Isle Beach. There are plenty of restaurants in the area and other places you mentioned. The water won't be as pretty as the gulf.
All of these you mention are excellent and not typically crowded.

VolGirl81

Hey, is your trip still on in September?

ButchPlz

Here's a weird question- anyone ever done a 'cruise' by cargo ship? Based on my job I think it'd be a good experience to have and as a plus I've heard it's not as grungy as one would think.

OldandStillaVol

Here's a weird question- anyone ever done a 'cruise' by cargo ship? Based on my job I think it'd be a good experience to have and as a plus I've heard it's not as grungy as one would think.
What do you mean by 'cruise'? I had friends who paid to board a cargo ship from the West Coast to somewhere in Asia (can't remember where). I think they stopped one place like Japan before reaching their final destination. They said it was fine - they were left alone, ate what the crew had, and had very modest cabin. Just curious, why would you want to this?

No, Africa hasn't opened back up. Our tour company is not sure when that will happen, so we rescheduled for Sept 2021. Yellowstone is now our tentative plan.
Africa you say? I’ve been 4 times and love Africa. It’s like my second home! I had 2 trips planned this year back but “Covid”. Where at in Africa?

Last edited:

VN Store

Sponsors