Vacation / Travel

We want a beautiful beach with awesome amenities and something geared more towards "Romantic" i guess since it's a honeymoon. And I want to drink a lot of alcohol and stuff my face. I was really interested in that couples resort, but they are $700 higher than cheap caribbean??? wth.

We've done Secrets, Sandals and Breathless in various places. Any of them fit what you are looking for.

Never used Cheap Caribbean, mostly use Apple Vacations or AAA. With Apple transfers to and from the airport are included.

Reactions: BAJAvol
We've done Secrets, Sandals and Breathless in various places. Any of them fit what you are looking for.

Never used Cheap Caribbean, mostly use Apple Vacations or AAA. With Apple transfers to and from the airport are included.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Going to London for 4 days at the end of the month. Any recommendations on things that are a must see/do.

Tower of London and London bridge. Everything else, in my opinion can easily be seen from the red buss tour (double decker hop on hop off tour bus). Eat at every local eatery and pub you can while there. The food is excellent.

I enjoyed it once. Way to many people for me to even consider another trip. I’m not a big city kind of guy but the history in Tower of London was awesome and I love me some history!

We stayed in Victoria at the Windermere. Small off the beaten path place that we could walk to the tube station and get around easily. Excellent smoked salmon and eggs for breakfast! Enjoy man!

Going to London for 4 days at the end of the month. Any recommendations on things that are a must see/do.
All close together:
London Eye, Westminster/BigBen, National Gallery/Trafalgar Square, Churchill War Rooms, Go to a play. Maybe 2. All of these are very close to each other. Easy Walk.
British Museum is also close by, and walkable. They have looted the world.
We usually stay in this area. There are several restaurant on every block. Must try is Fish and Chips.

London is one city where the skyscappers are actually pretty/different. A night time river cruise will give you a beautiful look at some of them. You can leave from the London Eye.

Cab or underground: cab is cheaper for four people. Underground for 2.
London tower and tower bridge. The London bridge the it's famous is in the US. New London bridge is typical bridge.
Buckingham Palace
Kensington Palace

You might do a day trip to Windsor Palace(the wedding). Train tickets are cheap.
Day trip to Bath/Stonehenge. Too much transportation time for a short look.

Have fun.

Reactions: TDTennessee
Spent a month there last winter and am going back for about six weeks right after Christmas. The two posts before me have some good info, although I’d skip the London Eye. The rest of the South Bank is awesome, but that part is just too crowded and touristy.

I know you’re only going to be there for four days, so time will be at a bit of a premium, but walk as much as you possibly can. You’ll see more of the city that way. If some places are farther than you want to walk, take a bus.

There’s a fish and chips place called Fisher’s in the Fulham area that is great. I’d recommend making you’re way down there for dinner one night, and then taking the river cruise from Putney Pier back up to The City. As one of the other posters mentioned, the views are fantastic.

Thanks for the input. My wife has been but I never have so pretty excited. I’ve heard the Churchill war room is pretty awesome. Thanks for the ideas on the river cruise, hadn’t heard of that, but it sounds like we should do that as well. Was hoping to catch a premier league game too while we were there but not looking like its going to happen. We will be going to Portugal to visit my brother in law and his new wife’s family afterwards, they have tickets to a Porto match for us so I can mark off European soccer match the sports bucket list.

We will be there the 27th-30th.
Gotcha. If you're really interested in going to an EPL match, my personal advice would be this. Wembley is pretty far out from the main part of London, and with Spurs still kind of wandering the desert waiting on their new ground to be completed, I'd be surprised if the stadium was even 3/4 full for that game. While that will make tickets pretty easy to come by, it also means it won't be particularly reflective of a true Premier League atmosphere.

To me, you'd be better off going to the Fulham game against Huddersfield that day. Tickets can still be had, but both teams are struggling this year and will come into the game desperately needing points. Also, Craven Cottage is what the locals would refer to as a "proper" old English ground, and is right on the river, so it's got a little bit of a UT parallel going for it. So, if I were you, I'd catch that game at 3:00, maybe eat walk back to Fisher's on Fulham High Street for some fish and chips (might want to call ahead and make a reservation because seating is pretty limited), and then across Putney Bridge and hop on your river cruise.

Unless of course you're actually a Spurs fan and really want to see them. In which case, just ignore everything I just suggested and go watch your team.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Do you live in England? I thought about doing exactly what you are suggesting on our last trip to London. DW wanted to see plays though, and the two we saw were exceptional, especially "Witness for the Prosecution". I even thought about making the trip to Fisher's, but opted to a non=descript hole in the wall between our hotel and the British Museum. The best fish and chips we have eaten in England or perhaps we were just staving.
We will try to make the trip as you suggest next time.

Gotcha. If you're really interested in going to an EPL match, my personal advice would be this. Wembley is pretty far out from the main part of London, and with Spurs still kind of wandering the desert waiting on their new ground to be completed, I'd be surprised if the stadium was even 3/4 full for that game. While that will make tickets pretty easy to come by, it also means it won't be particularly reflective of a true Premier League atmosphere.

To me, you'd be better off going to the Fulham game against Huddersfield that day. Tickets can still be had, but both teams are struggling this year and will come into the game desperately needing points. Also, Craven Cottage is what the locals would refer to as a "proper" old English ground, and is right on the river, so it's got a little bit of a UT parallel going for it. So, if I were you, I'd catch that game at 3:00, maybe eat walk back to Fisher's on Fulham High Street for some fish and chips (might want to call ahead and make a reservation because seating is pretty limited), and then across Putney Bridge and hop on your river cruise.

Unless of course you're actually a Spurs fan and really want to see them. In which case, just ignore everything I just suggested and go watch your team.

Thanks for the input. I saw the Fulham game and considered that one, only was leaning Tottenham because of the name. I’ll probably do what you suggested. We’re also flying out early the 30th to catch a game in Porto that night, with my brother-in-law’s wife’s family.

Do you live in England? I thought about doing exactly what you are suggesting on our last trip to London. DW wanted to see plays though, and the two we saw were exceptional, especially "Witness for the Prosecution". I even thought about making the trip to Fisher's, but opted to a non=descript hole in the wall between our hotel and the British Museum. The best fish and chips we have eaten in England or perhaps we were just staving.
We will try to make the trip as you suggest next time.
No, live in Knoxville. However, I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to have extensive time off during January and February, so I use that time to travel. I imagine the food at most of the chippies across London is more or less the same. I mean, it's basically just putting fish in a fryer. I've come to like Fisher's more for the ambience of the place more than anything else. The staff is really friendly, and you never feel like they're trying to rush you out the door, regardless of how busy they might be.

I'm going for six weeks this time around, and have tickets to a bunch of soccer matches and several musicals. Haven't really looked into plays all that much, but after your suggestion, I may see if there are any that look interesting to me. Also planning to take the train down to Paris for a few days in the middle of my stay, provided things don't get so bad with the rioting that they stop letting people in from outside come into the city.

Thanks for the input. I saw the Fulham game and considered that one, only was leaning Tottenham because of the name. I’ll probably do what you suggested. We’re also flying out early the 30th to catch a game in Porto that night, with my brother-in-law’s wife’s family.
Awesome! I'm almost certain that tickets to that match are on general sale to the public. However, if not, I'm actually a member with Fulham, and would be glad to help you get them if you need it.

I've been looking into options for my upcoming honeymoon in April. I have been looking heavily into Couples Tower Isle in Ocho Rios Jamaica. Any info someone has would be great! We are also not set on Jamaica and are open to suggestions. Would prefer a Caribbean spot, though.
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Stay at the Paradissus Palma Real, spring for the Royal Service. Top notch ask for Carlos to be your butler.

Reactions: BAJAvol
I'm heading to Germany in June for a week, flying into Frankfurt. Will be headed to Nurnberg, right after and then I'm clear for several days. Suggestions after that? Thinking about maybe crossing into Lichtenstein and Switzerland as well. Thinking Munich as well since I do love me some beer.

No, live in Knoxville. However, I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to have extensive time off during January and February, so I use that time to travel. I imagine the food at most of the chippies across London is more or less the same. I mean, it's basically just putting fish in a fryer. I've come to like Fisher's more for the ambience of the place more than anything else. The staff is really friendly, and you never feel like they're trying to rush you out the door, regardless of how busy they might be.

I'm going for six weeks this time around, and have tickets to a bunch of soccer matches and several musicals. Haven't really looked into plays all that much, but after your suggestion, I may see if there are any that look interesting to me. Also planning to take the train down to Paris for a few days in the middle of my stay, provided things don't get so bad with the rioting that they stop letting people in from outside come into the city.

FWIW, we were in London in April-May, and there were tickets available for Hamilton. My wife wanted to go, but everything was sold out the first time I looked. When I checked again there were seats available for the matinees on several days. At least Ticketmaster is not nearly as corrupt in England as in the US.
I have found differences in the fish across England. The worst was in Canterbury. The restaurant advertised 50 beers or similar. I should have known. the fish was not good. OTOH, it is always possible it was what the locals like? Only minor differences in London. Nothing bad.
I think that train is the same one that goes on to Barcelona. We've taken it from Paris to Barcelona. It was not much cheaper than flying, but I had never been on a 200 mph train before, and we did not have to deal with CDG. Interesting, but tiring.
I had miles on Flying Blue that were about to expire so I booked flights to Paris in September,19. We expect it to be the last time we will go. The good news is you can book a excellent hotel in a great location in Paris cheaper than you can in Nashville.
We like both cities, but London is somewhat easier for Americans. I believe it is the language.

FWIW, we were in London in April-May, and there were tickets available for Hamilton.
Booked myself a ticket for Hamilton months ago. Also going to Les Mis, The Lion King and The Book of Mormon (which I've actually already seen, but enjoyed it enough to scoop up a cheap ticket and see it again).

I'm taking Eurostar to Paris, which actually doesn't currently go direct to Spain, but I'm sure transferring to one that will get you there is quite simple. I agree that London is an easier city for Americans, but Paris has it beat aesthetically by a mile. The long avenues with good sightlines and uniform architecture of most of the buildings is really fantastic.

Also, TDTennessee, while you're in London, make sure you spend some time one evening walking down Regent/Oxford/Carnaby Streets to see the Christmas lights. They'll still be up and running while you're there, and are awesome. Especially Regent Street.

Booked myself a ticket for Hamilton months ago. Also going to Les Mis, The Lion King and The Book of Mormon (which I've actually already seen, but enjoyed it enough to scoop up a cheap ticket and see it again).

I'm taking Eurostar to Paris, which actually doesn't currently go direct to Spain, but I'm sure transferring to one that will get you there is quite simple. I agree that London is an easier city for Americans, but Paris has it beat aesthetically by a mile. The long avenues with good sightlines and uniform architecture of most of the buildings is really fantastic.

We've seen those, albeit in Chattanooga, NYC, and Nashville. Les Mis seems like a lifetime ago. Actually I missed LK. It was the women in the family who went to that one. Sister's 55th birthday.
I don't know of another large city that compares to Paris. Some have unique architecture, but none more beautiful..
The train does require a change. I missed that 3-4 years ago.

VN Store

Back