'18 VA TE James Mitchell (Virginia Tech, potential transfer)

I expect we’ll have 5-10 contributors next year that are currently on other teams.
Better be more than that. If we get 32, I'd use half of them in the portal....at least. We've got so many holes to fill and at positions you're not likely to see a HS kid come in and help with. Heupel has momentum. He just can't afford a step backward. We need to clean up in the portal for at least the next couple of years.

Better be more than that. If we get 32, I'd use half of them in the portal....at least. We've got so many holes to fill and at positions you're not likely to see a HS kid come in and help with. Heupel has momentum. He just can't afford a step backward. We need to clean up in the portal for at least the next couple of years.
Agree mostly with that but some of those young players just needed development. There will be guys step up and contribute who weren't ready this year.

I suspect that they'll use 20 scholarships or less on HS players then 5 plus any make ups on the portal.

Nickname is “The Governor”. Great young man from my hometown and a former student. Humble, hardworking, team first guy, who would be an asset to any program he becomes a part of. I would not hesitate to have him on the team if I were coach Heup.

I wonder if this guy is related to Kevin Mitchell, a football and track star at Powell Valley High several years back.
Yes he is related, but he does not have Flash’s (Kevin’s) speed. Few people do.

Yes he is related, but he does not have Flash’s (Kevin’s) speed. Few people do.
My ex is from BSG and knew him. If my memory serves me, pretty sure I ran track against Kevin. Yes, he was definitely fast. I remember him, Floyd Gillespie from Greenville, Ronnie Horton from Kingsport (my neighbor), Van Williams from Johnson City were some of the burners in this area back then.

One year at a time. Like it or not, coaches who want to win and keep their jobs will take any/all the "one year rentals" that can improve their team. The portal is simply free agency in college. I'd place as much, if not more, emphasis on portal recruiting as the prep recruiting. With HS kids, you just don't know what you'll get from them when they get on the college field against equal or better talent. It also takes longer to develop. With the portal, a lot of the guesswork is taken out. Those kids have been in college, in a S&C/nutrition program. They've already acclimated to college life. The portal is our best friend right now and in the future. Hit it hard, get well fast.

Correct

Why are ppl not getting this? Esp teams like us right now. Take ready made college players with a track record and plug them into what you do. You can improve fast. Take a class of high school kids like always and grab a handful of players for your weakest spots that you think can vastly improve the team which is exactly what they’ll do. There’s gonna be good talented portal players lining up to play for Heupel. Probably already is and we just don’t know about all of it yet.

Weak tight end class and he's got a chance to work his way into a decent draft pick..Probably doesn't wanna go somewhere else for a year. I'm not sure it would benefit him much,minus us fans wanting to see him ball out for that big orange 🍊

VN Store

Back