UT vs Ball State opening night is now Thursday night

It definitely will on TV, will possibly affect crowd size.

Moving to Thursday night just further proves that the tale is wagging the dog more and more all the time. TV is taking over influence over most all college exposure and schools are bending to this trend at the expense of in person fans.

Moving to Thursday night just further proves that the tale is wagging the dog more and more all the time. TV is taking over influence over most all college exposure and schools are bending to this trend at the expense of in person fans.
How many games are you able to go to a year?

This is a really good thing!
Great for TV, recruiting exposure, and most importantly, TAKE TWO days off of work and tailgate like a beast!!

I see this type comment on this site all the time. Someone tell me how the hell you just "take two days off", as it appears, when ever you choose? Don't tell me you own your own business or work for yourself. All the people I have know who are in this position usually put in more time than all other "workers".

Tv money > fan game day revenue

I see this type comment on this site all the time. Someone tell me how the hell you just "take two days off", as it appears, when ever you choose? Don't tell me you own your own business or work for yourself. All the people I have know who are in this position usually put in more time than all other "workers".
Is this a joke? If you are successful and put yourself in a position you can do what you want. It’s not that difficult with work ethic and intelligence

How many games are you able to go to a year?

None, too far and snakey, to expensive, just too everything. However there was a time when some of this was not an issue, but most definitely could not "just take off" Years ago, also it was still too expensive for me to go very often, not to mention just didn't have the heart to leave wife and 3 kids at home while I was off having fun. (from where I live - leave after work of Fri. afternoon or night ballgame (central time) Get to Hyatt or wherever LATE (5 hr. trip). Leave fairly early Sunday morning. Not much left of the day when getting home. So that has made me a loyal TV fan from mid 1950's until now. BUT I still would have loved to be at every game on site no matter where or when.

Is this a joke? If you are successful and put yourself in a position you can do what you want. It’s not that difficult with work ethic and intelligence

And how do you get to this point you speak of. In my lifetime for most people it has taken hard work and in some cases many years to become this independent.

I have no problem attending whichever day the game is, however Thursday night always feels like it's for low rent programs. This is also a kick in the groin to Knoxville businesses/city economy who will lose out on revenue vs a Saturday game. It also really stinks if you have kids or grandkids who play middle school football on Thursday night.

Reactions: oz615
It's pretty simple. I don't own my own business or anything, but if I want to take two days off. I take them off. Saving your time off helps in situations like these. I make it mandatory for myself to take off 6-10 days off a year, otherwise I get burnt out. I wish a lot of people I know would take this approach more. I see too many people killing themselves for a job and devoting too much time that would replace them tomorrow.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
None, too far and snakey, to expensive, just too everything. However there was a time when some of this was not an issue, but most definitely could not "just take off" Years ago, also it was still too expensive for me to go very often, not to mention just didn't have the heart to leave wife and 3 kids at home while I was off having fun. (from where I live - leave after work of Fri. afternoon or night ballgame (central time) Get to Hyatt or wherever LATE (5 hr. trip). Leave fairly early Sunday morning. Not much left of the day when getting home. So that has made me a loyal TV fan from mid 1950's until now. BUT I still would have loved to be at every game on site no matter where or when.
We are able to go to most home games, almost always go up and back the same day. But I am so thankful that all the games are on TV. That wasn't always the case, and still isn't for a lot of UT sports.

If I wasn't going Thursday, I would still love to get to watch our game Thursday night, then watch all the others on Saturday.

That's the only downside to going to the games, you don't get to see the others. Back in the day, what other teams did on Saturday directly affected Tennessee. We haven't been in that position in a while.....but those days are coming back.

i love it, gives us extra days for pitt & the season is two days closer now lol

Lot of people taking off on Friday; must be plenty of expendables on VN. LOL As a Contractor, I don't get "Days Off", no work no Pay. No complaints though.

Well just another f u to the fan base. I feel bad for out of town fans who keep getting shafted.

Yep, kinda tired of this. Taking off work isn’t a major problem but taking the kids out of school is. I guess I’ll cancel my hotel reservations AGAIN.

Lol some of y’all are so spoiled and will complain about everything… it’s ball state and likely was not gonna sell out anyway so why not get it on Thursday so we will have less competition and more eyes on us… it’s opening weekend and we will be able to see the Vols earlier seems like a win win to me…

Reactions: Boca Vol

A lot of people have jobs with paid vacation days. It's a tactical move to take Thurs & Friday off when the following Monday is a holiday. You get 3 days for the cost of 2.

If money is an object, start planning. There's roughly 4 1/2 months between now and the 1st game. Save a little each week and over the course of 17-18 weeks it can really add up.

My job doesn't allow us to "strategically" take days ahead of long weekends off. If you take those sick days, you have to bring documentation. Our management is brutal. We can be reprimanded or worse for "gaming the system".

Millions of workers are still treated like cattle. I still have it much better than most. I have many friends in their 40's and 50's that still only get ONE paid week of vacation each year, and some that get zero. So many of us overlook the majority of people we look past in line at Wal-Mart are working with little to no fringe benefits at all.
First world problems and all. My county is poor as heck after all the factories closed in the 90s and 00s.

Just saying some of you have good jobs and setups and management allows you to use your days freely. Not everyone has that. You are very lucky. Some posters seem to think anyone can just do whatever to go to the game.
This situation is why I jumped on tix for the Music City Bowl. It was cheaper, closer, and I could attend without taking two or three days off work.

Last edited:
Lol some of y’all are so spoiled and will complain about everything… it’s ball state and likely was not gonna sell out anyway so why not get it on Thursday so we will have less competition and more eyes on us… it’s opening weekend and we will be able to see the Vols earlier seems like a win win to me…

Agree. I like it when UT opens on a Thurs. night. There's always some interesting opening week match-ups that we now get to watch.

I don’t mind it because we would get a little more exposure, and gives us more days to prep for PITT. Who also plays on that Thursday night as well.
Agreed. It sucks for the fans; but good for the program. Play on opening Saturday and you get lost in the noise. Okay three days earlier and get the eyes of high school stars looking for a game to watch. We can’t pass up any opportunity of getting Heupel’s system out for kids to see. Once it is visible, it largely recruits itself

VN Store

Back