UT to Break Clean from Davenport

My boss told me yesterday that high-ranking employees at any company have very big safety nets, because they have to make tough decisions, and without the safety net, they'd never take risks for fear of losing their job.

Sounds good but my prior experience within a large pharma company suggests that big safety nets did not motivate high level management to take more risks.

Sounds good but my prior experience within a large pharma company suggests that big safety nets did not motivate high level management to take more risks.

I don't want pharma companies taking risks, they should be cautious and deliberate!

Reactions: 2 people
I don't want pharma companies taking risks, they should be cautious and deliberate!

Actually, you do want pharma higher management to take risks in terms of trying a variety of new drugs, not just copying each other. It’s the physicians and clinical trialists you want to be cautious regarding which patients should be in the trials.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually, you do want pharma higher management to take risks in terms of trying a variety of new drugs, not just copying each other. It’s the physicians and clinical trialists you want to be cautious regarding which patients should be in the trials.

I've just learned something.

giphy.gif

You mean the lady that went against the Haslam’s isn’t receiving dignified treatment? I thought the Haslam’s were out and a new era in UT leadership was here?

No, them Haslam boys are lurking behind plants looking for something else to ruin.

giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'd love to have my relationship with my employer dissolved for 1.33 million.
The contracts at Universities just blow my mind. Put someone in over there head, and when they tank, instant lotto winner.

I don't think she tanked. She did stand up to the big bad wolf and but got blown down.

Reactions: 5 people
Davenport fixed some big problems, including the football program. She has a big pair. Which doesn't comport with the good ol' boys club. Hope she gets paid.

Reactions: 4 people
Best for both parties. She can save face by not having to report to a lessor position and UT can move on and eliminate yet another distraction.

Maybe she will resurface in Alabama or Florida...that would be nice.

Glad we’re severing ties as that is best. I will say that letter went too far and made Joe DiPietro look bad. He came across angry and unprofessional. It made him sound like it was a personal power problem.

Yeah that letter was over the top.

Management 101: Praise in public, scold in private.

Reactions: 6 people
My boss told me yesterday that high-ranking employees at any company have very big safety nets, because they have to make tough decisions, and without the safety net, they'd never take risks for fear of losing their job.

They’re already being very well compensated for having reached that level and for dealing with the stress/pressure inherent with the position. Good on them for getting there, but they signed up for it...and there’s just no justifying them getting a boatload of cash AFTER making those tough decisions that turned out to be wrong and that hurt the company/organization.

I'm certainly in no position to judge her on her job performance.
Making the termination letter so vitriolic and making it so public was more than stupid. If you were an academic, would you even consider taking a job at UT?

That letter set us way back if we are working at being a top 25 university.

Really dumb, Joe!

Reactions: 5 people
I'm certainly in no position to judge her on her job performance.
Making the termination letter so vitriolic and making it so public was more than stupid. If you were an academic, would you even consider taking a job at UT?

That letter set us way back if we are working at being a top 25 university.

Really dumb, Joe!

Of course I would. If I wanted to work at one of the best universities in the country and I was good with their offer/what they were paying I’d jump at it, like most everybody else will. And if I were interviewing for the Chancellor position, I’d know even better now what to be good/proficient at, what to do much better than the last person who just got fired for her incompetence in those areas.

Don’t over complicate this. That public letter won’t scare anyone worth his salt away from teaching at Tennessee or applying for an academic leadership position at Tennessee imho.

Last edited:
Of course I would. If I wanted to work at one of the best universities in the country and I was good with their offer/what they were paying I’d jump at it, like most everybody else will. And if I were interviewing for the Chancellor position, I’d know even better now what to be good/proficient at, what to do much better than the last person who just got fired for her incompetence in those areas.

Don’t over complicate this. That public letter won’t scare anyone worth his salt away from teaching at Tennessee or applying for an academic leadership position at Tennessee imho.

A FOIA request would of been submitted anyways.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this one, KB.

UT, from the top down isn't too pretty of a sight. It can be one of the best universities in the country but if the upper management is a joke, then the university may as well be a joke in regarding obtaining "corporate level" talent.

I agree about scaring away someone at the teaching level, but the rungs above on that ladder had better get their act together.

Reactions: 2 people
Davenport fixed some big problems, including the football program. She has a big pair. Which doesn't comport with the good ol' boys club. Hope she gets paid.

Hate to tell you this but the football program is still run by the good ol' boys club. And the jury is still out as to whether anything has been fixed.

Reactions: Jack Burton
They’re already being very well compensated for having reached that level and for dealing with the stress/pressure inherent with the position. Good on them for getting there, but they signed up for it...and there’s just no justifying them getting a boatload of cash AFTER making those tough decisions that turned out to be wrong and that hurt the company/organization.

I'm with you too. I think that too, but had just never heard that perspective before.

Hate to tell you this but the football program is still run by the good ol' boys club. And the jury is still out as to whether anything has been fixed.

You better keep these facts to yourself. You’ll get chased out of this forum by the pitchfork mob for not toeing the line of blind positivity.

VN Store

Back