UT "self reports" NCAA violations

How do you know know he “had” to step in? I just took it as CPF is a coach at heart and misses it, plus wanting to help.
Fulmer told me he had to step in, that’s how I know with 100% certainty. C’mon man. Did you watch our O-line? Of course he felt like he had to step in and I don’t blame him one bit.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
I know everyone is dismissing this as minor and mocking it, but I really wish Fulmer had not done this. It's not a good look for your athletic director to be knowingly violating even minor NCAA rules. Fulmer has the ultimate responsibility, along with the UT president, to monitor the football program for NCAA rules compliance. It doesn't help establish that we are running a clean program with unimpeachable compliance oversight when our AD is knowingly violating the rules on the number of permissible on-field coaches. The NCAA's duplicity and buffoonery are well noted, and I am not defending that organization. But we as Vols fans have taken pride that we have not run our program in a cheating manner like the Bammers and Kentucky basketball. I would prefer not to take even a minor hit to our better-than-average reputation by having Fulmer's marginal "help" with the offensive linemen.
Lol. Again this was a minor issue. Not at all like some of the crap that happens at auburn, Bama and Clemson year in and out in recruiting.

Fulmer told me he had to step in, that’s how I know with 100% certainty. C’mon man. Did you watch our O-line? Of course he felt like he had to step in and I don’t blame him one bit.

I agree totally, anything, and I mean anything to help that O line. I think the coach in him comes out when on the field.

Hard to believe that the NCAA has a rule preventing 'scouting' of other softball teams.

#thatBsilly

It wasn't a coaching violation that's for sure.

That is for damn sure, she could coach somebody out of a paper bag. Last nights game against Alabama has ruined the Lady Vols for me. If the school doesn't fire her the program will suffer for sure.

I'm going to just assume you're too young to know that at one time, say '80-'93, Phillip Fulmer was considered the best offensive line coaching walking around on this big ball of rock and mud we call earth. I will gladly argue to this day, that if Fulmer had kept coaching the offensive line (while HC) that his coaching tenure would have concluded much differently. Not only did we suffer through a few OL coaches infinitely his inferior, but he would have been more involved in the football and less in the admin/politics of running the program. Without our decline, both UF and Bama would have had different trajectories '02 - present day.

Fulmer not only coached OL, he was also an all-american OL himself.

Fulmer has forgotten more about OL play than Pruitt, his staff and all of our worthless O-linemen combined have ever known.

There was never a problem or question about our OL while Fulmer was involved with coaching the program.

Now ESPN is running this non-story as a TOP STORY, give me a break... click bait if I’ve ever seen it.

No way Phil strolled by that line and didn’t feel compelled to pipe up and no one can blame him.

I swear he’s gonna be the cause of bigger sanctions if he can’t control himself. He’s the AD ffs!! Stay in your lane or resign!!!

The game changed and passed him by. It's that simple. The straight ahead blocking of the 80's is gone. There is a reason he is not a coach.

The game did not pass by Fulmer. Competitive recruiting by Ga et al dropped our talent at a time when coaches were being poached. Lack of support by the AD with a focus on the bottom line started the decline.

Read option was the craze and fans were bored with David Cut pro style. When David left for Duke Phil hired Clawson, an up and comer to run the O.

Clawson needed a different style of player to run this O. They had a top 10 class recruited but had a bad season, and Fulmer was fired before the new O could be fully implemented.

People saw Clawson was a bad OC, but it is not true. He had success immediately after leaving here. We should have given Phil another year.

People will also say Phil couldn’t get a HC gig post UT. Not true, he refused to take any job where he had no chance at winning a championship. He didn’t need the money. It was about vindication.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
They did not run straight ahead blocking. They did not run a zone blocking scheme, but they ran power on the line. Multiple pulling guards or tackles. The O-Line play was never an issue in that time frame.
Our O-line was always full of future NFL players, when Fulmer was coach. Everybody we played had to put an extra guy in the box, or we'd just run over them, for 4 qtrs. Fulmer's o-line HATED defensive players. I emphasize HATE. They were brutal! Pancake blocks, and getting to the 2nd and 3rd level were just standard operational procedure.

Our O-line was always full of future NFL players, when Fulmer was coach. Everybody we played had to put an extra guy in the box, or we'd just run over them, for 4 qtrs. Fulmer's o-line HATED defensive players. I emphasize HATE. They were brutal! Pancake blocks, and getting to the 2nd and 3rd level were just standard operational procedure.
That is the truth.

The game did not pass by Fulmer. Competitive recruiting by Ga et al dropped our talent at a time when coaches were being poached. Lack of support by the AD with a focus on the bottom line started the decline.

Read option was the craze and fans were bored with David Cut pro style. When David left for Duke Phil hired Clawson, an up and comer to run the O.

Clawson needed a different style of player to run this O. They had a top 10 class recruited but had a bad season, and Fulmer was fired before the new O could be fully implemented.

People saw Clawson was a bad OC, but it is not true. He had success immediately after leaving here. We should have given Phil another year.

People will also say Phil couldn’t get a HC gig post UT. Not true, he refused to take any job where he had no chance at winning a championship. He didn’t need the money. It was about vindication.
Then it sounds like he couldn't get a job. Cause he sure wasnt getting offers from any good programs.

VN Store

Back