UT issues RFP for right field dorm & indoor baseball practice facility

OMG, I run a summer undergrad research program where we have always housed students in Vol Hall, which is pretty nice because it was originally built as an apartment complex. One year UT housing wanted to show me alternatives and gave me a tour of Hess Hall. OMG, I could not believe how despicable that place was, what a dump!!!
It’s not that way at Clemson or UGA. UT needs to have better housing options for incoming freshman. And don’t get me started on the Winter Break being 3 times longer than other universities. Grabbing the $ for a Winter period is ridiculous. Rant over.

Reactions: WallyBalls
It’s not that way at Clemson or UGA. UT needs to have better housing options for incoming freshman. And don’t get me started on the Winter Break being 3 times longer than other universities. Grabbing the $ for a Winter period is ridiculous. Rant over.
Tennessee is in the stages of replacing all those dorms. The presidential plan got sidelined when they had problems with one of the new dorms and had to keep Carrick open.. But you have a lot of new dorms on campus and more being built. Once presidential is done, they’ll likely tear down Hess and build A new dorm.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Any chance they could widen the road to allow a deeper fence for the stadium? I know some people like the short field and some think we need a longer field to get ready for Omaha.
This short fence narrative is way overplayed and parroted repeatedly by the talking heads.
LNS = 320’ down the lines
Baum-Walker (AR) = 320’ down the lines
Dudy-Noble (MSU) = 330’ & 305’ down the lines
Hawkins (Vandy) = 310’ & 330’ down the lines

We hit 7 HR’s in one game at State last year, 5 in one game at Ole Miss, 6 or 7 in 2021 at TAMU. We hit bombs but because we hit bombs. The fence at LNS is just a spectator.

Yes, but look at the Omaha field where they play the NCAA tourney:

Center field=408'
Left & Right Center=375'
Left & Right Line=335'

LNS:
Center field=390'
Left & Right Center=360'
Left & Right Line=320'

So the argument is not for the regular season, but for the tourney in Omaha. How many of our homers would have fallen short in Omaha? I don't know how much a difference 15' deeper makes a difference. Honest question.

Yes, but look at the Omaha field where they play the NCAA tourney:

Center field=408'
Left & Right Center=375'
Left & Right Line=335'

LNS:
Center field=390'
Left & Right Center=360'
Left & Right Line=320'

So the argument is not for the regular season, but for the tourney in Omaha. How many of our homers would have fallen short in Omaha? I don't know how much a difference 15' deeper makes a difference. Honest question.
But nobody is playing on a field like Omaha. So the point is the “short” field isn’t necessarily hurting us anymore than any other team. You don’t build your dimensions to match a stadium you may or may not play like 6 games in.

But nobody is playing on a field like Omaha. So the point is the “short” field isn’t necessarily hurting us anymore than any other team. You don’t build your dimensions to match a stadium you may or may not play like 6 games in.
The comparison should be with other parks in your division or conference. But our big issue is space, is it not?

Reactions: vol66 and VetVol
The comparison should be with other parks in your division or conference. But our big issue is space, is it not?

This. I looked at tix for the early slate tonight. As frustrating as it is to be a fan, imagine the school’s frustration. Lots of folks wanna go but there’s not enough seats to accommodate.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This. I looked at tix for the early slate tonight. As frustrating as it is to be a fan, imagine the school’s frustration. Lots of folks wanna go but there’s not enough seats to accommodate.
We’ll get there… 😉

Reactions: vol66
The university and other universities with simillar situations are really moving to priivate/public model for housing.

We all would love the apartments overlooking the baseball field. but I just know I would be one of the schmucks overlooking the railyard

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
The university and other universities with simillar situations are really moving to priivate/public model for housing.

We all would love the apartments overlooking the baseball field. but I just know I would be one of the schmucks overlooking the railyard
Lol. That’s freaking funny. I spent a night on a train car right there when Barnum and Bailey was in town many years ago. Good times.

Then best part of this sort of deal?
Since this structure would be technically a private project, it would be approved and built far faster than if it went through typical government channels.

I always though the school needed an true on-campus hotel and could go through the same process. At one time, I thought building the hotels in the current Stadium Halls would just print money. But now- with stadium renovations, this is even more of a pipe dream.

Not on campus, but I wonder if the state/school could take over the old Hyatt Regency/Hotel Knoxville? Although not on campus, it is close and could house school guests and the such.

VN Store

Back