UT in Music City to play Purdue

Win?

• Yes

Votes: 461 90.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 9.3%

• Total voters
We're talking about two 10-2 teams that were both ranked in the top five at some point this season, not some middle tier 7-5 or 8-4 Big 10 teams UT beat in the past.

Well I think the problem is your characterization of what was posted. Let's review. This was posted:

Iowa and Michigan State? Neither would beat us handily.

I don’t think either would beat us.

Somehow from that, you understood that we would "destroy" them

UT couldn't beat Florida, Pitt, or Ole Miss but folks on here think UT would destroy Michigan State and Iowa. SMH.

Don't give me the "it was a different team, the refs," or "if Hooker starts" garbage. Those are lame excuses, there are only valid reasons and we all know what they were. Folks think UT would just start executing flawlessly and a BIG 10 team isn't going to run it down the throats of UT's weak defense. It'd be like the UK game except MSU and UI makes the tackle. They have better players.

I don't know how you got "destroy" out of that

Well I think the problem is your characterization of what was posted. Let's review. This was posted:

Somehow from that, you understood that we would "destroy" them

I don't know how you got "destroy" out of that
There are other comments, Ray.

She is a medium and I "accidentally" buy her XS t-shirts. She always gets that look and says, "I guess I 'll just wear this one after the game."
Did I do that?
rs_634x1024-161012100536-rs_634x1024-140806173305-634.urkel.jpg

I never said they were a "top team" just that UT lost to them. I guess facts are garbage in your mind.
The game was garbage and your acceptance of it tells me you're a mindless lemming that buys into the narrative that we weren't the better team against a top ten team because the refs made the decision for you that night. As for the slurping over Purdue beating a couple of slow Big 10 teams and ignoring that they also lost at home to 2 unranked teams and slid by a horrible Illinois team also at home tells me all I need to know here.

Last edited:
IMHO: This will be a tough game for the Vols. Our pass defense will be stretched. Maybe a chance for some young guy to step up.
it’s still year one for the Hype regime. If we win, it will be great for the program. If we don’t win, it’s still year one with a depleted roster. We’re playing with house money.

Only thing negative about Nashville (other than it could be cold) is the hotel prices. Downtown will be hopping.. Hell it's hopping on a Thursday afternoon. Plenty of places to eat.. Bands everywhere.. It'll be fun.

I enjoy Downtown Nashville - fun place to hangout. I’m only about 90 miles away so it’s an easy weekend getaway. I just have to avoid certain guitar shops or one will follow me home…😂

Reactions: SDV
IMHO: This will be a tough game for the Vols. Our pass defense will be stretched. Maybe a chance for some young guy to step up.
it’s still year one for the Hype regime. If we win, it will be great for the program. If we don’t win, it’s still year one with a depleted roster. We’re playing with house money.
Purdue didnt beat anyone... barely played anyone. Lost to Minnesota, barely beating Illinois 13-9... cmon

this is the matchup i wanted the least and not because of luster. imo, they're a bigger stronger wake with more to prove. recently, we've played well against the ground n' pound offenses of the big 10. but i dont know if our defense is ready to go up against their offense. on the other side of the ball, their defense has held all opponents to less than 30 points in every game except for two (ohio state and wisconsin). we've allowed +30 points in six games this season. i don't like this matchup. i was hoping for minnesota out of the big10 or any acc opponent...

Where I think (hope) we have an advantage over Purdue that did not materialize over the other teams we have played with great offenses and QB's; Pitt, Bama, Ol' Miss, is the Purdue QB O'Connell isn't very mobile. How many times have we given up big 3rd down conversions when we looked as if we had the play contained and the opposing QB ran for his life and a 1st down. I haven't watched any Purdue games or film, but O'Connell had 22 rushing attempts for -111 yards, so apparently the guy can't scramble, at least not very well. By comparison ol’ Miss’s Corral was 145/597, and Pitt's Pickett was 97/241. Keep in mind all lost yards to sacks are counted against these rushing yards or these guys would have been better. Banks will dial up some pressures and the Boilermakers are just okay at protecting the QB, 27 sacks tied for 68th nationally. So, while we will most likely give up a consequential number of passing yards to the Purdue offense, we have a good chance of countering that with sacks, strip sacks, and INTs due to pressure. Plus, the Pitt rushing game is abysmal 1002 total team rushing yards for a 2.8 per rush avg. We are 2544 at 4.9 by comparison. This led me to think they may not be all that good in the Red Zone when the field is compressed and they are in fact ranked 63rd nationally in Red Zone Offense. The point being while our defense may give up a lot of yards, there is a real chance we hold them at or below their average points per game of 27.5. If we get to our average of 39, things bode well for the Vols. Final analysis Vols win big 42-24.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
It’s a little maddening to think how close we are to the Sugar, let alone Citrus or Outback (9-3 with head to head win over Ole Miss if Velus fields the punt, Baron isn’t robbed, or Tillman jumps an inch higher, plus a few plays against Pitt). That said, a decent if not terribly prestigious bowl against a Big 10 opponent coming off a great season (by their standards) ain’t half bad. Last time we were in the MCB, it was Butch’s year 4, and we had the likes of Derek Barnett, Cam Sutton, and Alvin Kamara on the roster.

Where I think (hope) we have an advantage over Purdue that did not materialize over the other teams we have played with great offenses and QB's; Pitt, Bama, Ol' Miss, is the Purdue QB O'Connell isn't very mobile. How many times have we given up big 3rd down conversions when we looked as if we had the play contained and the opposing QB ran for his life and a 1st down. I haven't watched any Purdue games or film, but O'Connell had 22 rushing attempts for -111 yards, so apparently the guy can't scramble, at least not very well. By comparison ol’ Miss’s Corral was 145/597, and Pitt's Pickett was 97/241. Keep in mind all lost yards to sacks are counted against these rushing yards or these guys would have been better. Banks will dial up some pressures and the Boilermakers are just okay at protecting the QB, 27 sacks tied for 68th nationally. So, while we will most likely give up a consequential number of passing yards to the Purdue offense, we have a good chance of countering that with sacks, strip sacks, and INTs due to pressure. Plus, the Pitt rushing game is abysmal 1002 total team rushing yards for a 2.8 per rush avg. We are 2544 at 4.9 by comparison. This led me to think they may not be all that good in the Red Zone when the field is compressed and they are in fact ranked 63rd nationally in Red Zone Offense. The point being while our defense may give up a lot of yards, there is a real chance we hold them at or below their average points per game of 27.5. If we get to our average of 39, things bode well for the Vols. Final analysis Vols win big 42-24.

You mean Purdue.

Nice analysis...

Reactions: 1974Vol
The game was garbage and your acceptance of it tells me your mindless lemming that buys into the narrative that we weren't the better team against a top ten team because the refs made the decision for you that night. As for the slurping over Purdue beating a couple of slow Big 10 teams and ignoring that they also lost at home to 2 unranked teams and slid by a horrible Illinois team also at home tells me all I need to know here.
Still lost to them, regardless if you accept it or not.

I enjoy Downtown Nashville - fun place to hangout. I’m only about 90 miles away so it’s an easy weekend getaway. I just have to avoid certain guitar shops or one will follow me home…😂
I'm with you. That Gibson shop is nice...

Yes, I really think so. Let's be real; the SEC only plays 8 league and play the absolute worst out of schedule conference. Most SEC teams can get to four wins fairy easy. But, the SEC is still the best conference overall.
Terrible take. sEC regularly plays at least one and sometimes 2 good ooc teams and then 5-7 great teams in conference. Which is why they dominate when they play the other conferences

We're talking about two 10-2 teams that were both ranked in the top five at some point this season, not some middle tier 7-5 or 8-4 Big 10 teams UT beat in the past.
So like Iowa and Nwestern were in previous bowls? Please Iowa and Mich state would get drilled by 6-7 teams in the SEC including UT

UT couldn't beat Florida, Pitt, or Ole Miss but folks on here think UT would destroy Michigan State and Iowa. SMH.

Don't give me the "it was a different team, the refs," or "if Hooker starts" garbage. Those are lame excuses, there are only valid reasons and we all know what they were. Folks think UT would just start executing flawlessly and a BIG 10 team isn't going to run it down the throats of UT's weak defense. It'd be like the UK game except MSU and UI makes the tackle. They have better players.
UT would’ve won 9-10 games playing Purdues schedule. Give me a break with your BVS take

Reactions: Sea Ray

VN Store

Back