UT football ALMOST nonexistent to recruits?

Are you for real??
Absolutley. Up until 2007 it was always between UF and UT. We just need the right coach. Aside from 2016, we haven't even sniffed it since Fulmer.

I know the 90s and early 20s spoiled us, but there is no reason we shouldn't be able to sustain that. This is a program with a .669 win percentage which is 12th for all time wins. Only Alabama is ahead of us in the SEC and this is with 15 straight years of suck.

6 claimed national titles
8 unclaimed national titles
16 conference titles
6 division titles since 92? And again, we've been down since 2007.

We should be right there fighting with UF or Ga every other year for a spot in the SECCG

Again, I grew up watching us in the Fulmer era, but ant logical person knows all we need is a freaking coach. It's a joke what this program has had to endure after it was built up to, then turned over to the likes of Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt

... We are virtually irrelevant on the national scale.

So are about 100+ other P5 programs. If you want relevance, you have to be good enough to get a national TV 10 out of 12 games and WIN those games. Winning = Relevance. And, for recruits, putting guys in the League does too, especially guys that have success at that level.

“I know that Peyton Manning went there and that’s really all I know about the school,” said Jackson.

All the former greats don't matter. It don't matter that we're in the SEC. Never mind that we're one of the winningest football programs of all time. Coaches don't want to come here and current recruits aren't familiar with us. We have sucked so bad for the past 15 years, that we truly have become irrelevant in the CFB world. We have got to get results from the Heupel era or we may never be relevant again.

Quote from recruit shows why landing an elite QB will be hard for Josh Heupel

Have you primarily been getting your football info from the VFL Facebook? We suck, we’ve sucked for 15 years. We go cheap on the hire, blew up our football program while some Gump was doing his best Rush Probst impersonation. We lost 70% of our games in 2020, we regressed across the board, blamed a QB for everything and ran half of our roster away.

UK is 5 times the program we are right now.

Tradition is a great story to tell when you’re competitive and on the up. We have submarined our entire football program.

“I know that Peyton Manning went there and that’s really all I know about the school,” said Jackson.

All the former greats don't matter. It don't matter that we're in the SEC. Never mind that we're one of the winningest football programs of all time. Coaches don't want to come here and current recruits aren't familiar with us. We have sucked so bad for the past 15 years, that we truly have become irrelevant in the CFB world. We have got to get results from the Heupel era or we may never be relevant again.

Step away from the ledge!

Reactions: vols4evah
Face it gang, last time we landed in the SECCG, today's recruits were 4 and 5 year olds...most hadn't even picked up a football yet.

Before that, these kids weren't even born.
Last time we had 3 winning seasons in a row, these kids were 10...let that sink in and realize that we need to have consistent winning seasons before we need championships.

Not glossing over our bleak recent history but how bout Texas or USC or Nebraska even? None of those schools have potential recruits that know anything about their successes. That is a BS anaology. Are you trolling?

I’m going to be a devils advocate for this one...the kid has a point. Yes, we have had some good (borderline great) players come through the last 15 or so years, but who has been that one player that is a household name (outside of Volnation)? I want more than anything for this script to change. Stability with the coaching staff...modern and exciting offense...tough, smart and physical defense...winning games...all this is a good start, it’s going to be a long, hard road.
Oh I don't know... Alvin Kamara and Eric Berry for starters?

Knowing who the University of Tennessee is (to use your USC example) is different than being able to name individual players off the roster from 5 years ago. I'd venture to say there are plenty of people in TN that couldn't name USC's QB 5 years ago, myself included.
If that was the author's point then you agree he made a mountain out of mole hill? There are very few teams that differ from that.

I can't speak for all kids, but I worked with a lot of HS kids who ended up as major D-1 recruits. Mulitple kids signed with Bama in fact and all over. I can 100% guarantee you they don't know who Jennings is and most don't know Dobbs either.
OK. Whatever you say. You are talking primarily about kids from TN or somewhere in the SE, right?

If that was the author's point then you agree he made a mountain out of mole hill? There are very few teams that differ from that.

OK. Whatever you say. You are talking primarily about kids from TN or somewhere in the SE, right?

You said the only way Jackson wouldn't know about Neyland, Rocky Top, Jennings, and Dobbs would be if he just didn't watch football. Which I completely disagree with. That's such an arrogant take about a program that hasn't even made the SEC title game since these kids have been able to tie their own shoes.

I don't think Jackson had bad intent, he was just being honest. Yet you and others come on here and get all bent out of shape that a kid not from TN may not be familiar with our program and its players. Now you want to blame the author for making a mountain out of a mole hill? I think you and others are making the mountain out of the mole hill by acting like its a slap in the face a kid doesn't know your favorite players.

I'm talking about kids from TX, which is why I said on the national scale. The most famous football player we have that is recognizable to these kids is Alvin Kamara (moreso than Peyton although then do know who he is as well), but they associate Kamara with the Saints moreso than UT.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Either you are elite or you're not, having things in place to be means absolutely nothing
That is about as ignorant of a statement as I have seen here since the days of k-town king and Dobbs4Heisman.

USC always had the history, facilities, recruiting area, and school to be elite. But from 1982 until 2001 they were a "good" Pac-10 program but nothing on the national stage. They hired Pete Carroll and had one of the best runs in modern CFB history. In 9 years, they won 11+ games in 7 seasons.... all but his first and last. Since he left in 2009, they've won 11 games only once and 10 games once. They've won their conference once.

USC STILL has all of the things needed to rise to prominence again and are STILL looking for the right coach to make it happen.

UCLA, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, Miami, Penn State, Nebraska, Washington, FSU,... all schools with both the history AND the "bones" to become dominant programs again. UT fits in that list.

Reactions: igotworms
You said the only way Jackson wouldn't know about Neyland, Rocky Top, Jennings, and Dobbs would be if he just didn't watch football. Which I completely disagree with. That's such an arrogant take about a program that hasn't even made the SEC title game since these kids have been able to tie their own shoes.
I've lived from SC to Washington state and points in between. I have had business relationships with people from all across the country. Any of them with even passing interest in college football know more than you claim this kid knows about UT football.

The author was trying to find something to prove his point.... and he stretched this into that proof.

I don't think Jackson had bad intent, he was just being honest. Yet you and others come on here and get all bent out of shape that a kid not from TN may not be familiar with our program and its players.
I'm not "bent out of shape". I think the author had a bias he wanted to advance and used a very, very weak piece of evidence by distorting this kid's comment.

Now you want to blame the author for making a mountain out of a mole hill? I think you and others are making the mountain out of the mole hill by acting like its a slap in the face a kid doesn't know your favorite players.
You are making stuff up now... just like the author. UT isn't a prominent program right now. The Vols aren't as "relevant" as they once were. And it is not reasonable to believe a kid doesn't know anything about them in the absolute sense that the author suggests. The Vols still play in the SEC. They still have one of the largest, most iconic stadiums in the country. You still see power Ts on hats and shirts from coast to coast.

White made a long point about the UT "brand". It is a national and historic "brand" that he wants to restore.

I'm talking about kids from TX, which is why I said on the national scale. The most famous football player we have that is recognizable to these kids is Alvin Kamara (moreso than Peyton although then do know who he is as well), but they associate Kamara with the Saints moreso than UT.
And the author is still wrong. UT is viewed as a historic program that is down... like Michigan, like Texas, like PSU... The Vol "brand" has not sunk to "non-existence" as the author and you insist.

Reactions: igotworms
I've lived from SC to Washington state and points in between. I have had business relationships with people from all across the country. Any of them with even passing interest in college football know more than you claim this kid knows about UT football.

The author was trying to find something to prove his point.... and he stretched this into that proof.

I'm not "bent out of shape". I think the author had a bias he wanted to advance and used a very, very weak piece of evidence by distorting this kid's comment.

You are making stuff up now... just like the author. UT isn't a prominent program right now. The Vols aren't as "relevant" as they once were. And it is not reasonable to believe a kid doesn't know anything about them in the absolute sense that the author suggests. The Vols still play in the SEC. They still have one of the largest, most iconic stadiums in the country. You still see power Ts on hats and shirts from coast to coast.

White made a long point about the UT "brand". It is a national and historic "brand" that he wants to restore.

And the author is still wrong. UT is viewed as a historic program that is down... like Michigan, like Texas, like PSU... The Vol "brand" has not sunk to "non-existence" as the author and you insist.

You keep backtracking in an effort to not be incorrect and you just make yourself look worse and worse.

"Unless he just doesn't watch football... he knows about Neyland, Rocky Top, Dobbs, Jennings, etc." This is your quote right? The original point I responded to yes?

Ok then, I am saying that there are plenty of kids outside of TN and the SE that do not know who Josh Dobbs is and even more kids who have no clue who Jennings is. Those guys aren't national household names to current HS recruits. Why is that so difficult to understand? Next time you go to a sports bar outside the SE, ask a young person if they know who they are. If they don't have any ties to the area, I'm willing to bet large sums of money they don't. That's the current reality of our brand to young people.

Do kids know that the University of Tennessee exists and has a football program? Yes, absolutely they do. They know we are in the SEC. Most know we have a large stadium, but not all know the name of it. Just like most on here can't name all the stadiums around the country either. If they have been to a game then yes they know Rocky Top, but if they haven't, why would they? How many other P5 schools fight songs do you know?

Now could we get back to national prominence? Absolutely we could and I haven't made any sort of claim that the program is dead forever. Most national media members say the same thing. However, you have to live in reality and realize just how irrelevant we are currently. It's bad man. Doesn't mean it will be forever, but you're better off assuming these kids don't know anything about our history than the other way around.

You brought up White discussing at length about restoring the brand. If the brand was strong, he wouldn't be making that point. You bringing up our new AD is making my point for me!

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Bigger problem is UT becoming nonexistent to fans. We make the engine run with our support and money. When you lose the fans(and we're facing the loss of an entire generation of Vol fans), you lose your program and become Vandy. Fans turn off and tune out like some are already doing and it's a dark time for your program. The one thing that kills in this sport is apathy. Damned close if I do say so.

All the former greats don't matter. It don't matter that we're in the SEC. Never mind that we're one of the winningest football programs of all time. Coaches don't want to come here and current recruits aren't familiar with us. We have sucked so bad for the past 15 years, that we truly have become irrelevant in the CFB world. We have got to get results from the Heupel era.

I have tried to get ppl to understand this for a few years now. These kids are watching the elite schools and thats it. The players we consider elite are not to the masses. Only guys most kids know are Peyton, Berry, and Kamara. In the 90s there was a UT ambassador on just about every team. We were just discussing this in a group chat I'm in with former players. You can thk Botch and the qb debacle he did with Worley to Dobbs to Guantanamo word spread fast he was an idiot and thus why qbs and elite Wrs and Rbs turned down UT. This is the reason the money was thrown around like it was to get elite players. You hv to do the dirt and get elite guys to Knoxville and build a foundation, and then once it gets to going will interest peak again.

You keep backtracking in an effort to not be incorrect and you just make yourself look worse and worse.

"Unless he just doesn't watch football... he knows about Neyland, Rocky Top, Dobbs, Jennings, etc." This is your quote right? The original point I responded to yes?

Ok then, I am saying that there are plenty of kids outside of TN and the SE that do not know who Josh Dobbs is and even more kids who have no clue who Jennings is. Those guys aren't national household names to current HS recruits. Why is that so difficult to understand? Next time you go to a sports bar outside the SE, ask a young person if they know who they are. If they don't have any ties to the area, I'm willing to bet large sums of money they don't. That's the current reality of our brand to young people.

Do kids know that the University of Tennessee exists and has a football program? Yes, absolutely they do. They know we are in the SEC. Most know we have a large stadium, but not all know the name of it. Just like most on here can't name all the stadiums around the country either. If they have been to a game then yes they know Rocky Top, but if they haven't, why would they? How many other P5 schools fight songs do you know?

Now could we get back to national prominence? Absolutely we could and I haven't made any sort of claim that the program is dead forever. Most national media members say the same thing. However, you have to live in reality and realize just how irrelevant we are currently. It's bad man. Doesn't mean it will be forever, but you're better off assuming these kids don't know anything about our history than the other way around.

You brought up White discussing at length about restoring the brand. If the brand was strong, he wouldn't be making that point. You bringing up our new AD is making my point for me!

They do know about Rocky Top. You all have made sure of that. However, most of them have varying alternate lyrics.

[QUOTE="rev_vol, post: 19581837, member: 74008" who has been that one player that is a household name (outside of Volnation)? [/QUOTE]

Eric Berry and Alvin Kamara

VN Store

Back