UT football ALMOST nonexistent to recruits?

VolForLife83

“I know that Peyton Manning went there and that’s really all I know about the school,” said Jackson.

All the former greats don't matter. It don't matter that we're in the SEC. Never mind that we're one of the winningest football programs of all time. Coaches don't want to come here and current recruits aren't familiar with us. We have sucked so bad for the past 15 years, that we truly have become irrelevant in the CFB world. We have got to get results from the Heupel era.

Quote from recruit shows why landing an elite QB will be hard for Josh Heupel

Last edited:
“I know that Peyton Manning went there and that’s really all I know about the school,” said Jackson.

All the former greats don't matter. It don't matter that we're in the SEC. Never mind that we're one of the winningest football programs of all time. Coaches don't want to come here and current recruits aren't familiar with us. We have sucked so bad for so long that we truly have become irrelevant in the CFB world. We have got to get results from the Heupel era or we may never be relevant again.

2E3A1A1F-0A3A-440F-80B8-3AF53D7BD21F.jpeg

Watched a YouTube video discussing every QB who got 4/5* in 2015. It wasn't pretty for the recruiting sites' bona fides.

Heupel has what he needs this year. He can afford to be a picky shopper in this round of recruiting and build relationships for '23 when it is fairly likely one or two of the guys competing for the starting job this fall will be gone.

On the other side of that... Heupel needs to show what kind of difference his offensive scheme can make this fall. Wins are important. Figuring out how to play D opposite his fast O will eventually be vital. But the key thing this year is putting up offensive numbers. If that happens... maybe he flips one of these guys. UT definitely becomes a target destination for guys in the portal.

PS- It is unlikely that Jackson meant it just like that. Unless he just doesn't watch football... he knows about Neyland, Rocky Top, Dobbs, Jennings, etc. And honestly... what do we want him to know about most of the last 15 years?

I’m going to be a devils advocate for this one...the kid has a point. Yes, we have had some good (borderline great) players come through the last 15 or so years, but who has been that one player that is a household name (outside of Volnation)? I want more than anything for this script to change. Stability with the coaching staff...modern and exciting offense...tough, smart and physical defense...winning games...all this is a good start, it’s going to be a long, hard road.

All the former greats don't matter. It don't matter that we're in the SEC. Never mind that we're one of the winningest football programs of all time. Coaches don't want to come here and current recruits aren't familiar with us. We have sucked so bad for so long that we truly have become irrelevant in the CFB world. We have got to get results from the Heupel era or we may never be relevant again.

When an administration loses it's commitment to winning in sports, everyone loses interest.

Agree don't read too much into a 17 yr old's comment. Pruitt and Jones were able to get good recruits to come here so it can be done even with TN's irrelevancy right now. Going to take some show me on the field first and then we can start being in the mix for good recruits.

Yes, he has work to do because of the negative recruiting (sanctions) being used against him...
But...
Didn't we just sign a 5 star QB and a high 4 star QB recruit.
Haven't we had Top 20 classes for the last 5 years.
Let's not act like oh woe is me now. We will be fine. Ups and downs but come on....

I don't expect a top 20 class, but I'm pretty sure he will pull a top 30 class, and it seems we have been beaten by schools with lesser classes.
Since we are losing to those schools, lets focus on beating them and we have 6 - 7 wins and bowl practice to get better.

We have been a dumpster fire for the better part of fifteen years now with nine losing seasons since 2005. So to these high school kids we have always been trash for as long as they can remember and sadly I don’t see that changing anytime soon. We are what our record says a below .500 team since 2010 who loses to Vandy alot. We all know Heupel won’t get it done here with the insurmountable task he faces and NCAA probation looming probaly. He is the bridge to a better coach in four or five years I hope and I hope he can at least keep us above water till then. It’s sad what UT football has turned into and really inexcusable that this garbage has gone on this long but the SEC will truly eat it’s own. I do think we got a solid AD in Danny white who knows the situation that he stepped into.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
Yes, he has work to do because of the negative recruiting (sanctions) being used against him...
But...
Let's not act like oh woe is me now. We will be fine. Ups and downs but come on....

I don't expect a top 20 class, but I'm pretty sure he will pull a top 30 class, and it seems we have been beaten by schools with lesser classes.
Since we are losing to those schools, lets focus on beating them and we have 6 - 7 wins and bowl practice to get better.
I doubt he even pulls a top 30

The first coach that can get us back to being Good and maintain that level will be treated like a God. Hopefully, it's CJH.

Odds are that he will struggle at least this first year, and probably in the second as well. And the last thing he will be treated like is a God. Won't surprise me if some swear he has a 666 of some portion of his body. Vols fans have grown accustomed to abusing coaches. That is who they have become.

Odds are that he will struggle at least this first year, and probably in the second as well. And the last thing he will be treated like is a God. Won't surprise me if some swear he has a 666 of some portion of his body. Vols fans have grown accustomed to abusing coaches. That is who they have become.
. A large portion of us fans are also widely delusional thinking we should compete for the SEC and national title every year when we have become a lower tier SEC team like Kentucky , South Carolina and Arkansas. We just have a bigger stadium than them that’s it. Some of the fans need to lower their expectations quite a bit it’s not the 90’s or early 2000’s anymore. We haven’t been elite or even decent to average in a very long time.

it’s just not in my DNA to think this fatalistically. The Vols play in the SEC and if you’re not really strong from a player, administration, and coaching standpoint (I think that covers it) you aren’t going to win at a championship level. The Vols will be winners again. It’s been dark before and even if we return to championship form the darkness will eventually return. Alabama will someday come back to earth. It’s been that way much longer than any of us have been alive!

Reactions: tnutater
But...

I wouldn’t be too sure about that bowl practice.... pretty sure we won’t be allowed to play postseason for a year or two

Reactions: tnutater
it’s just not in my DNA to think this fatalistically. The Vols play in the SEC and if you’re not really strong from a player, administration, and coaching standpoint (I think that covers it) you aren’t going to win at a championship level. The Vols will be winners again. It’s been dark before and even if we return to championship form the darkness will eventually return. Alabama will someday come back to earth. It’s been that way much longer than any of us have been alive!
I am ready for the tide to turn.
Pun intended.

VN Store

Back