UT fan falling from upper deck? (Merged)

Incredibly sad and prayers to the family. This apparently happened over my left shoulder as I was on the lower level in 110. The folks behind me got a text about it during the game but we had no idea at the time if it was true or not. Sad to hear this morning that he passed.

We'll probably be hearing alot about rail height just like when the fall at the Texas Rangers game happened last year. The Ga Dome rail probably "meets code" but really needs to be higher and code needs updated. We'll hear the old debate about if the rail is raised, it blocks the vision of fans when seated, etc. But I don't see any reason why they couldn't put a ledge out 2 ft or so like they have at Neyland.

I'll be curious to hear more about this response time issue by emergency personnel. As other have said, it may not have made a difference....but that doesn't excuse it. In this day and age of disaster preparedness....no reason for a severely injured person to not get help within 5 minutes at a major venue that routinely puts on such events.

He landed three rows directly in front of where I was sitting. It happened immediately after the Zach Rogers touchdown. The guy he fell on had minor cuts, possibly a concussion. The gentleman who fell was still breathing but he was bleeding from his head. It took at least 15 minutes for any paramedic to get there. Two doctors and a nurse who happened to be at the game responded within minutes. Obviously, with no equipment, there wasn't much they could do. I will say, after Tennessee's first touchdown everyone in our section was showered with liquid from the kid that fell. After the ushers were told, and they went and spoke to him, the kid that spilled the liquid and later fell decided to hang over the railing and taunt us. I'm in no way saying he deserved to fall. Just wanted to put the information out there. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

We lost a Volunteer last night -RIP Prayers for the family....sorry for your loss.
VFL17

He landed three rows directly in front of where I was sitting. It happened immediately after the Zach Rogers touchdown. The guy he fell on had minor cuts, possibly a concussion. The gentleman who fell was still breathing but he was bleeding from his head. It took at least 15 minutes for any paramedic to get there. Two doctors and a nurse who happened to be at the game responded within minutes. Obviously, with no equipment, there wasn't much they could do. I will say, after Tennessee's first touchdown everyone in our section was showered with liquid from the kid that fell. After the ushers were told, and they went and spoke to him, the kid that spilled the liquid and later fell decided to hang over the railing and taunt us. I'm in no way saying he deserved to fall. Just wanted to put the information out there. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

liquid as in water, beer, liquor, soda? you don't have to sugar-coat it if you're confident as to what it was. taunting you how?

liquid as in water, beer, liquor, soda? you don't have to sugar-coat it if you're confident as to what it was. taunting you how?

I'm not sure what it was to be honest. I don't think they sold beer on the upper level. Taunting as in hanging the top half of his body parallel over the railing and telling us to come up and fight him. He seemed to be intoxicated.

Terrible news. So sorry for the family's loss. We were told by an usher that a fan had fallen on the other side of the dome and we could see all the medical personal at the site.

Happened a few rows behind me. The guy fell maybe 30 feet maybe more. I was on row 1 and i tell you I'm surprised more people have not fallen its not very safe

Happened a few rows behind me. The guy fell maybe 30 feet maybe more. I was on row 1 and i tell you I'm surprised more people have not fallen its not very safe

I thought it was very safe, I was on the first row of the upper deck for a game last year. I had to complain though because the rail was right in the line of sight.

Not that it matters but was the guy a state fan? ESPN reported he was a UT fan.

Who was sending out text messages? Just people in the stands texting back and forth?

The way it was described, it almost sounds as if a mass text went out.

I remember sitting in the upper area in the endzone back in 2001 at that dreaded SECCG. I remember thinking, man this sitting area is straight up, its kinda scary up there if like me, you don't like heights, vertigo sucks. Its honestly surprising more people haven't fallen over the years.
Prayers go out to his family, terrible situation.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back