UT fan falling from upper deck? (Merged)

We're all very sorry about what happened. But I think we can still talk about it and still be respectful.

I don't think directly responding to a family member and disputing their story is respectful. Do you?

I was out watching the game, and when I heard this, immediately thinking, I hope whoever it is, is ok. My son turns 20 in a week, I cant even imagine getting that phone call. My prayers go out to the family, very sad!!

why not use plexiglass barriers of 36"?

Plexiglass scratches easily, plus the upkeep would be huge, cleaning mustard, cokes, ketchup, vomit and spilt beer off of it. It would probably have to be replaced every few months or else fans would be griping about not being able to see through it.

Most of us have gone to games intoxicated many times and been fortunate enough not to be involved in an accident. If he was drunk it really doesn't lessen the loss for his family and friends.
I do find it interesting though that several of the news stories I've read have said that responders were on the scene QUICKLY and that he had not consumed alcohol in the dome. Looks like an operation in CYA to me.

Sorry to hijack the thread again guys, but I'm going to keep bumping this thread with the link for donations to help Isaac's family. Currently after around 50 donations, we have surpassed $1250.00, but we need more - ALOT more. Please spread the word and link the donation website on your Facebook and/or Twitter feeds. Go VOLS!

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=CNAWV5THYGZKN

I agree but there were several VN posters that were nearby and they all said it took forever...it sounds like they are trying to cover their asses

It happened 20 feet from me. Like I said earlier. It just didn't look like anyone knew what to do and noone would take charge. For a few minutes, there were security personnell simply standing there and moving people back.

It happened 20 feet from me. Like I said earlier. It just didn't look like anyone knew what to do and noone would take charge. For a few minutes, there were security personnell simply standing there and moving people back.

You had an eventful night Sparty .. This and then breaking up a fight....what else happened that you aren't sharing with the group?

I agree but there were several VN posters that were nearby and they all said it took forever...it sounds like they are trying to cover their asses

If reports of slow response and the do-nothing behavior is true, hopefully the family can get hold of some of those eyewitnesses. Some may even have time stamped photos. Important if possible they retain their ticket stubs that verify their seating position which backs up their claim to being close enough to witness what's claimed.

You had an eventful night Sparty .. This and then breaking up a fight....what else happened that you aren't sharing with the group?

It was an odd night. I know some others had to have seen that fight. Dude is lucky he isn't in jail from trying to stomp a guys head that's in the fetal position.

If reports of slow response and the do-nothing behavior is true, hopefully the family can get hold of some of those eyewitnesses. Some may even have time stamped photos. Important if possible they retain their ticket stubs that verify their seating position which backs up their claim to being close enough to witness what's claimed.

Response time likely doesnt change the outcome.

If reports of slow response and the do-nothing behavior is true, hopefully the family can get hold of some of those eyewitnesses.

They took him straight to the hospital within 20 minutes. They did all they could do but lay out a mattress for him to fall on. :hi:

There is only so much that can be done by anyone to protect you from yourself in any situation. In the end, the only person truly watching out for you is yourself. Be mindful of your surroundings.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm really sorry to hear about this. :( My thoughts are with the family. Please be careful fellow Vols.

Hearing about this made me sad but hopeful he survived... finding out he died made me sick.

Thoughts go out to him and his fam.

Awful news, just watched the game. Thoughts are with his friends and family... Really dampens the mood after such a good win.

Response time likely doesnt change the outcome.

My post regards the matter of IF the slow response etc. are true, the family may have grounds for legal action. That and nothing more.

I had the misfortune of sitting in section 211 just a few rows back from where he fell. EMS stil hadn't responded by the time of CP's rushing TD. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home. Judging by my dvr, there was at least nine minutes from when he fell to when EMS arrived. He was unresponsive, but appeared to be beathing when he was finally taken out. Such a horrible accident.

A little bit of thread hi-jacking but I'm going to keep bumping this thread with the link for donations to help Isaac's family. I also wanted to give you all an update on the progress. Currently after about 100 donations, we have surpassed $3000.00, but we are still short of our goal. Please spread the word and link the donation website on your Facebook and/or Twitter feeds.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=CNAWV5THYGZKN

Keep up the good work Vol Nation, continue to pray for Isaac's family and we'll see you at Neyland on Saturday. Go Big Orange!

Doug,
May I have your permission to post the text from your article on VolNation.com?
They have started a donation thread on the UT Football forum to help Isaac's parents with the burial expenses, and I would like to post it there. No man is an island...thank you for the story, it meant a lot to me.
I will, of course, include the credits.

Sincerely,
Buddy Lee
Isaac Grubb's Uncle

Fernandes, Doug
Buddy, My pleasure. I’m just sorry I had to write it. Good luck. Doug

Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:43 AM
To: Fernandes, Doug
Subject: Article on Blake
Doug,

Thank you for writing it. Knowing that Isaac's memory is alive in players such as Blake is certainly heartwarming and is helping us
thanks for allowing me to pass the article on. you did a great job on it.

Sincerely,
Buddy Lee

Manatee’s Keller plays game for Isaac
By Doug Fernandes
Published: Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 9:30 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, September 2, 2012 at 9:30 p.m.
BRADENTON

Blake Keller played for more than himself on Sunday. Played for more than his Manatee High teammates, coaches and fans.

More than anything or anyone, the Hurricanes' perpetually-active defensive end played for Isaac.

Keller's 21/2 quarterbacks sacks in the 'Canes 41-6 victory over Miramar? For Isaac. His two blocked punts, one returned for a touchdown? For Isaac.

Keller's second block could have squirted anywhere. Should have, really. An oblong hunk of leather usually does what it pleases.
Instead, it bounced straight up, directly into Keller's hands. His feet did the rest.
You can call it a lucky bounce.
But you're not Steve Gulash.
"You can say, 'Well, it just happened,' '' said the Manatee defensive line coach. "But you know what? There may have been a reason.''

Isaac.

The Tennessee-born Keller knew Isaac Grubb well. The 20-year-old resident of Lenoir City, Tenn., was the best friend of Keller's cousin, "and I hung out with him every time I went up there.''

Keller wasn't with Grubb on Friday night at the Georgia Dome. And even if he were, it's doubtful a tragedy could have been avoided.

Because immediately after Tennessee scored its second touchdown against North Carolina State, a fist-pumping Grubb tumbled over a 33-inch railing and plummeted 45 feet to the Dome's lower level, landing on a 34-year-old man sitting in the mezzanine.

The man was slightly injured. But transported to an area hospital, Grubb was pronounced dead. On Saturday, Keller got the phone call relaying the awful news.
"I was sad,'' he said. "It's crazy how life can be. You never know when you're last day can be, so you just want to go as hard as you can.
"Things like this happen to people all the time and you just never know when it can be you.''

When Keller's fellow defensive linemen learned of Grubb's death and the friendship he shared with Keller, they planned their own dedication.

Before Sunday's kickoff, they gathered in the end zone.
"Part of our deal today was to appreciate Blake and what he's done for us,'' Gulash said, "but also make him know that this was for him and his family and the healing of what's gone on.

"We were going to play hard for that young man, and I never met the kid, but I know if Blake Keller was friends with him, he was a good kid and a good person.''

"You see what Blake did?'' said Manatee defensive lineman Marquis Dawsey. "Blake was playing for him.''
Rarely does Keller need any added motivation on the football field.
He made second-team All State last season, collected 75 tackles and tied for the team lead in sacks with 14.
"A couple of plays he didn't make (Sunday) because their tackle was tackling him,'' said Manatee head coach Joe Kinnan.
"They could have thrown a couple more penalties. He's got a big-time motor.''

A big-time motor inside a 6-foot-2, 222-pound body. What Keller doesn't possess in size, Gulash said, is compensated with smarts.
"Knowledge of the game makes you fast,'' he said. "Anticipation, understanding what the backfield looks like, and then the technique.
"If you have the anticipation and the instinct, you become an effective player, no matter how big or small you are.''

The University of Central Florida must have agreed. Starting next season, Keller becomes a Knight.

"I applaud Central Florida for looking past the lack of 6-foot-4,'' Gulash said. "They know what they got. Somebody there has seen the light.''

That's next year. On Sunday, Blake Keller played for the Hurricanes. He played hard, played well. And one person served as the inspiration for both.

Isaac.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a sad situation. But why is everything thinking that the parents should be suiing the owner of the stadium, etc. That's what is wrong with the USA, we're always trying to place the blame elsewhere. The only person that has a right to sue is the victim that was hit. I'm sure he has medical expenses through no fault of his own!

VN Store

Back