UT Basketball lands Aidoo

The comparison you hear the most is Myles Turner, a former Rick Barnes recruit. Aidoo can push the break and is a tough rebounder as well. The most intriguing part of Aidoo and his development is that he just turned 18-years old in December, there is still a world of upside to go here.

In His Words
"I chose Tennessee because I believe in Coach Rick Barnes. I believe he can help develop me into a great player at the next level. Throughout the process I was able to build a really strong relationship with the coaching staff." -Jonas Aidoo

In His Words
"I chose Tennessee because I believe in Coach Rick Barnes. I believe he can help develop me into a great player at the next level. Throughout the process I was able to build a really strong relationship with the coaching staff." -Jonas Aidoo

But, Rick Barnes can't recruit.

I'd never make that prediction---way too many uncontrollable variables. But what a look at the starting line! Go Vols!

Reactions: njvols
Aidoo averaged 11.3 points, six rebounds and three blocks per game at Durham Voyager Academy as a senior in 2019-20. He then reclassified and played a 2020-21 post-graduate season at Liberty Heights, an independent school in Charlotte that plays a national schedule.

In this month’s Phenom HoopState Championship, an end-of-season tournament for top independent schools in the state, Aidoo averaged 17.33 points across three games. He’s a capable shooter and playmaker but thrives most frequently in the paint, where he uses his height and wingspan to snag offensive rebounds, get easy putbacks and block and alter shots on defense.
Liberty Heights 4-star recruit Jonas Aidoo decommits from Marquette

This season Aidoo averaged 17 points, 11.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 3 blocks per game for a 23-3, nationally ranked, Liberty Heights program...Aidoo has a lot of tools that suit the modern game, starting with his ability to defend. He is a smart defender with loose hips that enable him to drop in coverage and switch. He is a natural rim protector with a lengthy wingspan and great timing, with both ends. Offensively, Aidoo is a noted 3-point shooter with perimeter skills, however this season, he developed his game on the block with a couple go-to moves over his right shoulder.

Aidoo is still young, just turned 18 years old in December, and he is not a finished product. Aidoo has done wonders with his body and frame this year, and he needs to continue to develop his core and his leg strength, but that will come. The major jump in his game was taken this year with the development of his confidence. As he continues to work, and as we laid out above, the sky's the limit for this true 7-footer.
NCPreps - Prospect Profile: 2021 4-Star Jonas Aidoo

What separates Aidoo as a prospect and what will he bring to the program? [Marquette]
Aidoo broke out this summer playing for Team Curry. His size and length immediately stood out standing 6-foot-11 and 215-pounds. Aidoo shoots it from three, is mobile and skilled making him an effective pick-and-pop stretch-five big man. "Jonas is just scratching the surface when it comes to his game," said Team Curry coach Sim Frazier. "He is always a really good shooter and shot blocker but his touch around the rim and passing ability we so underrated!" Given Aidoo's size and length he has a natural ability to block and alter shots around the rim as well as rebound but he continues to improve in every area. His shooting ability has been a constant in his game but his post-play and defense have continued to improve over the past few months.
What is Marquette getting in Jonas Aidoo?

Frame: Lean and cut build with room to add muscle at the next level and beyond.

Athleticism: Aidoo is super agile, quick, bouncy and runs the floor exceptionally well. Aidoo is stronger than he appears, and uses his versatility to keep the defense off balance and capitalize with calculated movements in the paint.

Instincts: Aidoo has great anticipation on both ends of the floor and uses his efficient stroke from the perimeter to draw out slower bigs. Aidoo is adept at exploiting matchup advantages and finishes efficiently with both hands.

Polish: Aidoo is super active around the rim and his shooting touch from the perimeter is what separates him from most bigs. Aidoo’s 7-4 wingspan and precise timing make him a devastating defensive presence in the paint. He’s versatile enough to bring the ball up the floor and create against slower bigs.

Bottom Line: Aidoo is an active 6-11 big with a 7-4 wingspan, efficient shooting ability from the perimeter and the ability to handle the ball and create. Add in his shot-blocking ability, and those attributes will make him an instant-impact player at the next level.
SI All-American Candidate Jonas Aidoo Highlights and Evaluation

He's a good athlete with a very good wingspan, not elite in either category, but that's okay. Highly skilled for a big: can shoot the 3, seems to have good basketball IQ, can handle it well for a big, makes good passes. Will need to add strength for sure, listed at only 215, so a long way to go there. Has good foot speed for a center, should fare alright when switched onto opposing guards.

Poor man's Jaren Jackson Jr, maybe what Kyle could've been if he shot more threes later in his career. I guess I don't expect Aidoo to launch 3s, but I do think he'll take them when he's wide open.

tenor.gif
It’s all fun and games until someone loses a eye!

Reactions: 3-2-1-Wolf
This commit just completely changed the dynamics of this team, hell of a pickup for Barnes and staff! Very talented!

These are the kids you build a program around. Aidoo, Mashack and the french kid should be here multiple years and provide the talent and stability to UT that helped Baylor and Gonzaga compete for a title. I'm not saying to never take a likely one and done but that is not the path to championships imo.

His game kinda reminds me of Bam Adebayo. For a big he can handle the ball, pass, shoot, block shots. Give him a few years to develop and truly the sky is the limit for him.

VN Store

Back