USCe on the road

Imagine cheating like Frank Martin and making one tournament in seven years. God he is so overrated.

Frank Martin is the definition of people being fooled because of how someone acts. Because he yells at player and looks tough and calls his guys out in the media, people are like “Wow what a tough as nails dude. He’s a good coach.” Yet his results are below mediocre since he got to Columbia.

Frank Martin is the definition of people being fooled because of how someone acts. Because he yells at player and looks tough and calls his guys out in the media, people are like “Wow what a tough as nails dude. He’s a good coach.” Yet his results are below mediocre since he got to Columbia.

But yet he made that magical final 4 run, isn’t that all that matters in college hoops ?

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
But yet he made that magical final 4 run, isn’t that all that matters in college hoops ?

When you make one tournament in seven years, no. Maybe if you make 3 or 4.

Actually hurts Barnes more that some dope like Martin can make a Final Four in the past 15 years and he can’t if you wanna go that route. But I’d rather not.

With Martin it's kinda like Barnes, the kids have to buy in completly, have that one guy like Grant and whats-his-name and make a run. Still Barnes is more consistent and owns Martin with 5 in a row. I bet he destroyed Martin when he was at Texas and Martin was at KState. Anybody know ?

With Martin it's kinda like Barnes, the kids have to buy in completly, have that one guy like Grant and whats-his-name and make a run. Still Barnes is more consistent and owns Martin with 5 in a row. I bet he destroyed Martin when he was at Texas and Martin was at KState. Anybody know ?

Game Notes at utsports.com:

FORMER BIG 12 RIVALS BARNES, MARTIN NOW UNDER SEC BANNER
• Tennessee coach Rick Barnes and South Carolina headman Frank Martin meet for the 17th time as conference rivals Saturday and the 10th time under the SEC banner.
• The two squared off seven times as coaches in the Big 12 Conference, when Barnes was with Texas and Martin was at Kansas State.
• Barnes holds a 9-7 edge in head-to-head meetings.
• The 53-year-old Martin went 117-54 in five seasons at Kansas State, taking his 2009-10 squad to the Elite Eight and winning the Big 12 Coach of the Year award that same season. Barnes was one of the top coaches in the Big 12 during his 17-year tenure at Texas, winning four Big 12 Coach of the Year awards.

^^ This all day long. Be careful, some have a soft spot for FM in this forum.

South Carolina is going to be physical with Vescovi tomorrow. I'm curious as to how he'll handle it. Getting JJJ back would be big for us as he can help SV with the pressure. If we stay out of foul trouble I'm thinking our starting 5 will log most of the minutes. I like Gaines, JJ and Big O but if they play a lot I think we'll struggle. Vescovi, JJJ, Bowden, Fulkerson and Pons match up well with their bunch. Foul trouble will hurt both sides but I think it would hurt us more. 1st team to 60 might win this one.

^^ This all day long. Be careful, some have a soft spot for FM in this forum.

Have to admit that I am one of them. I also admit to not understanding the nuances of basketball so I can't comment on his X's and O's. I agree that it probably takes a certain type of player to flourish under Martin and those guys are getting fewer and fewer over time. Maybe that is one reason he has struggled more at USC.

Lastly, He was a former math teacher in high school and still supports math programs for kids - good to see that.

If I'm reading the USCe wiki page right, he took a program that hadn't won an NCAAT game since 1973 to the F4.

That seems good.

If I'm reading the USCe wiki page right, he took a program that hadn't won an NCAAT game since 1973 to the F4.

That seems good.

That is good. But 1 NCAAT in 8 years isn't. And following up said Final Four season with back to back 16 loss seasons and no postseason isn't good either.

VN Store

Back