USC hires Kevin O'neil as new HC

Been a fan since I was in middle school. Loved the Wade Houston era solely because of Allen. Liked Jerry Green he was a winner. Pearl is a winner, promoter and a showman who knows how to bring attention to the program. I never said he was the best X's and O's coach or the most disciplined coach around, but I do like what we have at Tennessee currently.

Who recruited the players Green won with?

Been a fan since I was in middle school. Loved the Wade Houston era solely because of Allen. Liked Jerry Green he was a winner. Pearl is a winner, promoter and a showman who knows how to bring attention to the program. I never said he was the best X's and O's coach or the most disciplined coach around, but I do like what we have at Tennessee currently.

KO is a better coach than Bruce Pearl is all I was saying. Pearl has brought some fairweather fans back... I will give him that. But I just don't get the love affair of a mediocre coach.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The better question is, Was there a significant roster change from Kevin's last year to Green's first? 5 win season to a 20 win season is fairly drastic!!!

KO won 11 games his last year not 5. He took over a 5 win team (that may not have been that good)

KO is a better coach than Bruce Pearl is all I was saying. Pearl has brought some fairweather fans back... I will give him that. But I just don't get the love affair of a mediocre coach.

I will agree bandwagon fans are back on board, but winning is winning and he has done that consistently. I hope Pearl is the guy that can get us to Final Fours and eventually a Championship but only time will tell. Unfortunately I think Pearl will leave the program before either happens.

I will agree bandwagon fans are back on board, but winning is winning and he has done that consistently. I hope Pearl is the guy that can get us to Final Fours and eventually a Championship but only time will tell. Unfortunately I think Pearl will leave the program before either happens.

Pearl needs to get us to the Elite 8 before we can start fathoming a Final Four run...

Wade Houston (65-90, .419)
1989-90 16 14 10 8 T-4th
1990-91 12 22 3 15 T-8th
1991-92 19 15 8 8 3rd (E)
1992-93 13 17 4 12 6th (E)
1993-94 5 22 2 14 6th (E)

O'neill's record over 3 years was 36-47 so how is that any better than Houston's? Then he goes to Northwestern and spends 3 seasons with a record of 30-56. His last season was 5-25. Pearl won immediately with kids that were not his. Now he is winning with his recruits, even though we had a down year this past season compared to our current expectations. "IF" Pearl can recruit the right balance of talent, he will win a championship. I will take the proven winner all day long over a coach with a consistent losing track record.

Although stats can be skewed to favor anyone's argument, its still hard to see why anyone likes Kevin O'Neill as a coach. What is Kevin O'Neill's biggest accomplishment as a coach? Anyone?? Was his his ONE sweet 16 appearance with a very talented Marquette team? Or perhaps his NCAA appearance that was handed to him by the NCAA solely to let the streak of NCAA appearances continue at Arizona? Or was it the remarkable accomplishment of not even winning a single conference game in the mighty Big Ten during his final season at Northwestern? (That was probably the hardest thing to do!)

Kevin O'Neill is a consistent loser, or mediocre at best. Pearl has accomplished more in his lone 4 years here at Tenn than O'Neill has accomplished in his career. Pearl has taken a Mid-Major just as far in the tourney as O'Neill did with Marquette. Regardless if he is "a friend" of yours or not, or if you are a huge O'Neill fan, you cannot logically state that O'Neill is a proven winner. O'Neill is not.

Pearl may not be a great X's and O's guy, and he may be a bit out there with the whole PR thing, but no way in hell I'd trade him for O'Neill.

It amazes me a fan base hates a man because he cursed out loud, yet embraces a coach with multiple skeletons in his closet.

For the record - Not one time have i brought up O'Neill's cursing.

My argument is based solely on record and accomplishments.

O'Neill is essentially a glorified Buzz. (In regards to coaching only)

And again - between O'Neill and Pearl, I'd gladly take Pearl any day without question. O'Neill sucks.

For the record - Not one time have i brought up O'Neill's cursing.

My argument is based solely on record and accomplishments.

O'Neill is essentially a glorified Buzz. (In regards to coaching only)

And again - between O'Neill and Pearl, I'd gladly take Pearl any day without question. O'Neill sucks.

I was not referring to you specifically.

KO is very much respected in the coaching ranks for his knowledge on defense. Bruce Pearl is not looked at in the same way..

I was not referring to you specifically.

KO is very much respected in the coaching ranks for his knowledge on defense. Bruce Pearl is not looked at in the same way..

I know! :)
Just wanted to throw out my 2-Cents on it though.

And I agree on the respect issue. Pearl's antics of ratting out his "colleague" has probably damned him for life with regards to respect from his peers.

I'd still take Pearl and his wins, over O'Neill and his pitiful excuse of an enjoyable basketball game anyday though.

Yeah, take a look at Roberta O'Neill and try to convince people KO is a loser off the floor.

If that is your sole basis of defining a loser or winner off the court, then I would take Bruce's Co-eds (feel free to google search yourself) any day over Roberta O'Neill.

Nice try. Try Again. And let's stick to the basketball debate. Who the crap cares about people's personal lives!

Hat,
What was the major difference in O'neill's roster in his last season with only 5 wins, vs. the roster Jerry Green had handed to him the next season where he won 20 games?
Tony Harris and Isiah Victor, both of whom were signed by KO. That would be two top 25 career scorers, one of whom was UT's first legitimate point guard since Johnny Darden. Any other questions?

UT under KO had the WORST offense I've ever seen--it was Pathetic; as bad as football Vols under Clawson. I think his stint with the Vols, along with Houston, was the absolute nadir of UT basketball--gawd, were we BAD. Wasn't Tony Harris the most overrated Vol BB player ever? I think so. Yarbrough was close behind...

Outside of a couple of seasons 15 years ago at Marquette, Kev's resume is littered with disaster.

Using history as a predictor of future performance, ol Kev will head out to LA, play about .500 ball, then alienate himself from the fanbase and administration. They'll fire him and he'll end up on the end of a bench somewhere.

Outside of a couple of seasons 15 years ago at Marquette, Kev's resume is littered with disaster.

Using history as a predictor of future performance, ol Kev will head out to LA, play about .500 ball, then alienate himself from the fanbase and administration. They'll fire him and he'll end up on the end of a bench somewhere.

+1

Yeah, because he's been fired from so many college jobs. I guess Tex Winter should have left basketball after his tenure at Northwestern, since it was worse than KO's. I bet Phil Jackson is glad he's not stupid enough to use performance in Evanston as a predictor.

I think something is off about O'Neil. On the one hand he does seem very well respected by some. But he's a a LOT of jobs, and many have not worked out. He was at Arizona, thought he would take over there after Lute Olsen's retirement--following an almost year-long leave of absence--but it seemed like Olsen pointed did not want O'Neil to get that job. Maybe it was a personal thing. Pearl has been MUCH better for UT than O'Neil ever was or would have been.

VN Store

Back