Urban Meyer to Jaguars

What's Kelly's guilt with Sullivan?

Did he specify the lift? Informed it wasnt safe, overrode the concerns?

I knew about the death, but never saw where Kelly's culpability came from.

He chose to send a student employee up in a scissor lift with average wind gusts at 10 mph over the limit at which the manufacturer declared it unsafe to use.

And this was not some unexpected storm. The team had been practicing inside all week until the forecast made it clear that there would be high winds at game time. So Kelly moved the practice outdoors in order to deal with the elements and still chose to send the videographers up. So Sullivan wasn't in that lift despite the dangerous winds, but because of them.

I didn’t know about Kelly and had to look it up. I thought he may have killed someone by driving DUI or something similar by reading your post. I believe your statement about Kelly killing someone is misleading and unfair.

How is it unfair by calling it what it is?
Kelly is and forever will be a POS.

Reactions: bamawriter
He made a reckless decision that led to a kid's death. That is not misleading. It is a fact, and the State of Indiana said as much.

Given that fact, I could not possibly give less of a crap what you think is unfair.
Was he held criminally responsible?

Edit: Nevermind. I agree one or more individuals and possibly Kelly should have been charged in this incident.

Last edited:
He didn’t kill anybody. It was an accident.

An accident caused by his complete disregard for conditions and manufacturer equipment safety ratings in said conditions. He made the decision to put the student in harms way. In the manufacturing world, such an "accident" would be deemed criminal negligence by OSHA, and atleast one manager would have served time.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Well when you get all your buddies from the college ranks on staff and the roster your not setting yourself up for success. Not to mention the circus around trades and signings.
I think that depends on your buddies, when Kiffen came here I enjoyed his “buddies.”

An accident caused by his complete disregard for conditions and manufacturer equipment safety ratings in said conditions. He made the decision to put the student in harms way. In the manufacturing world, such an "accident" would be deemed criminal negligence by OSHA, and atleast one manager would have served time.
After further reading, I agree individuals should have been held criminally responsible. This includes the person who authorized the lift to be used that day and the individuals responsible for the maintenance of the lifts since the university was cited by OSHA for violations regarding the lifts being serviced in a timely manner.

After further reading, I agree individuals should have been held criminally responsible. This includes the person who authorized the lift to be used that day and the individuals responsible for the maintenance of the lifts since the university was cited by OSHA for violations regarding the lifts being serviced in a timely manner.

It really doesn't matter the setting, but if you own or lease equipment, you better have very detailed daily inspection logs. If you strictly adhere to OSHA standards, an operator should not even get on/in any type of equipment without first completing and documenting your daily check. We have written up operators for being on an order picker platform, not having on their harness, when it was completely lowered and powered off. The mere act of being on the machine showed intent to operate, and they did not have the body harness on.

When OSHA says it's the safety rules or you are a criminally negligent manager, you tend to make the right decisions if you care that your employee sees their family every evening. My number one rule was always go back home the way you showed up.

He chose to send a student employee up in a scissor lift with average wind gusts at 10 mph over the limit at which the manufacturer declared it unsafe to use.

And this was not some unexpected storm. The team had been practicing inside all week until the forecast made it clear that there would be high winds at game time. So Kelly moved the practice outdoors in order to deal with the elements and still chose to send the videographers up. So Sullivan wasn't in that lift despite the dangerous winds, but because of them.
And he was informed that it was 10mph over the manufacture recommendation? Was he specifically informed of the risks and over rode them?

And he was informed that it was 10mph over the manufacture recommendation? Was he specifically informed of the risks and over rode them?

Why not let the kid make the call? Why force him up there to begin with? I’ll tell you why because he’s a prick and didn’t care. I’ll bet ND paid someone to protect their image too.

Why not let the kid make the call? Why force him up there to begin with? I’ll tell you why because he’s a prick and didn’t care. I’ll bet ND paid someone to protect their image too.
Let a college kid volunteer make a decision? That is specifically not why he is there.

Did the kid express doubts to the safety of what was asked and did he raise that concern with his boss or Kelly? And then did Kelly override his concern with an "or else"?

I am legitimately asking. Havent seen an answer. Kelly wanted it filmed, yes. He knew it was windy/stormy, yes. Did he know it was unsafe and override that concern????? That's what I am trying to figure out.

Let a college kid volunteer make a decision? That is specifically not why he is there.

Did the kid express doubts to the safety of what was asked and did he raise that concern with his boss or Kelly? And then did Kelly override his concern with an "or else"?

I am legitimately asking. Havent seen an answer. Kelly wanted it filmed, yes. He knew it was windy/stormy, yes. Did he know it was unsafe and override that concern????? That's what I am trying to figure out.

From everything that was reported yes. The kid expressed concern and was told to get up there and film it.

Yes, who else would?
Whoever else he reported to. Do the film guys usually report directly to the HC about where they are specifically located?

If that's what Kelly did, then I would agree he is culpable. I just hadnt seen his exact actions spelled out.

VN Store

Back