Updates

The only one that ever put Jeff in consideration was Jeff himself. I think Ivey is one of the interviews if she is interested. Signing date is coming up April 17th don't think he wants to go beyond that date and needs to reel in Horston if necessary as all last year signees are supposed to be here May 28th. Seems both Saunders and Key are coming regardless of coach have not heard anything from Horston guess she is waiting for the coach to be named.
So if an incoming player is released by another program, they have to sign with another school by April 17th in order to play this coming fall? So if the incoming player is not released by the school, then they would be forced to play for the NLI school or sit out and lose a year of eligibility? I wonder if a big name school has ever refused an incoming player to opt out of an NLI due to a coaching change.

Why May 28th on the incoming recruits? Is this for orientation or do they actually enroll and stay on campus?

Just a heads up, from what I’m hearing from a booster Walz is out for many reasons, some of which have been mentioned on here others of which have not. Fulmer is about to have to pony up more money for men’s basketball assistants in order to keep them there because some other midmajor schools are ready to pounce on hiring them as head coaches. That means having to set aside funds for that inevitability. Men’s basketball is profitable right now. Gotta keep it that way.

Fulmer would love Kara to take it. It’s just trying to convince her to do drop all she’s doing now with the media for a whole new gig.

Kellie is ONE of the front-runners, but is NOT the only one in consideration. Fulmer has his questions about her as well, and trust that all those concerns have been mentioned in pre interviews and will be mentioned again. She’s impressed them so far though, but there’s still a ways to go. Would not be surprised that IF she is hired Fulmer and some alumni Lady Vols might want to have a say in who she brings in as assistants to make sure they have all their bases covered experience wise when it comes to recruiting, knowing the landscape of the SEC, etc.

They are looking at possibilities in the final four. Don’t know who, but there are “a few” they are going to talk to after they exit or win the tournament.”

This part shocked me. Apparently there are a couple men’s coaches/assistant coaches being looked at that have expressed interest. Don’t know if it’ll amount to a hire, but one of those will at least get an interview. I know one of the men’s coaches that have expressed interest, but don’t know the other 2.

Fulmer is going to make the hire he thinks is best. He doesn’t check boards, or Facebook, or blogs, or Twitter, or anything. He’s not swayed. He’ll make the decision that he believes makes the most sense. He comes to the games. He loves the games. He hates losing. He’s not going to hire someone that continues the recent tradition of losing. It embarrassed him just like it embarrasses us. He doesn’t want to be the seen as the driving force of the crashing and burning of the Lady Vols Brand. He would not have fired Holly if he didn’t believe it could be saved.

Cough cough “I still want Jeff” cough cough
for a person with 78 post you sure know a lot

So if an incoming player is released by another program, they have to sign with another school by April 17th in order to play this coming fall? So if the incoming player is not released by the school, then they would be forced to play for the NLI school or sit out and lose a year of eligibility? I wonder if a big name school has ever refused an incoming player to opt out of an NLI due to a coaching change.

Why May 28th on the incoming recruits? Is this for orientation or do they actually enroll and stay on campus?
April 17th is the date that recruits for the incoming class can sign to come to that school. We already have three signed and anyone else that we sign would have to sign starting April 17th through sometimes in the middle of May.
May 28th is the day when the present members of the class Horston, Key, and Saunders are supposed to start to school. I am sure we'll have a coach by then but really need one by the 17th of April to visit all the incoming recruits and handle decisions on anyone else signing in the class or anyone transferring from Tennessee.

I know any transfers will have to sit out a year. The new players coming in totally up to the school I think it has happened in the past that some schools have let players out of NLI's I think the basketball coach before Barnes let everybody that had signed go elsewhere. In softball you can get out of your NLI automatically if the coach leaves and you can also transfer without penalty and play immediately if the coach you signed with leaves. That is not true in basketball the new coach has to let you out of your NLI and I think most usually do you don't want an unhappy player on your roster.

Holly was gonna sign that Australian girl but that is definitely up in the air until a new coach is hired.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Can't believe people are talking about Kara. She was a great guard at UT and Pro, but as far as I can determine, she has never coached a college game, even as an assistant. I don't think she really wants to coach either, so not a good chioce. I think we can do better than having a learning on the job coach.
I think that if Lawson wanted a coaching career she would already be working somewhere as either a head coach or as an assistant.

Unfortunately, I believe we’ll be a victim of bad timing yet again.
Yep, always seems to bite us. Do you think the bad timing might be the result of failure to think ahead and be proactive? Do bad decisions lead to what appears to be bad timing or does bad timing lead to bad decisions? Whatever the case, the powers that be at UT often appear to have their heads up their collective arses when it comes to hiring coaches. Hmm, presidents and chancellors also, I might add.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Yep, always seems to bite us. Do you think the bad timing might be the result of failure to think ahead and be proactive? Do bad decisions lead to what appears to be bad timing or does bad timing lead to bad decisions? Whatever the case, the powers that be at UT often appear to have their heads up their collective arses when it comes to hiring coaches. Hmm, presidents and chancellors also, I might add.

If a person knows there is an issue or problem and does not prepare then it's on the person for not thinking ahead/planning. On the other hand, if an issue or problem arises without notice then a person can fall into a bad timing situation.

Personally, I would place the "Interim" tag on Dean Lockwood before I would hire a coach I was not completely sold on and fully convinced could bring the Lady Vols back to a top tier program. If it takes more time to get the right head coach, I would take the extra time as there is simply no excuse whatsoever for making a half-ass hire.

According to Ron Swanson in the football talk thread in the Recruiting Forum, Volquest is saying that Fulmer is vetting Wes Moore and there's a rumor that Moore is going to be on campus today.

Reactions: JCP201 and Xraygurl
According to Ron Swanson in the football talk thread in the Recruiting Forum, Volquest is saying that Fulmer is vetting Wes Moore and there's a rumor that Moore is going to be on campus today.

Wes is a great coach. But would he be the kind of hire that current players and high school recruiting prospects will be excited about and be anxious to flood Twitter feeds with the news of the new Tennessee coach? I'm hoping for a "sexier" hire, or at least one that won't seem boring to young people.

Wes is a great coach. But would he be the kind of hire that current players and high school recruiting prospects will be excited about and be anxious to flood Twitter feeds with the news of the new Tennessee coach? I'm hoping for a "sexier" hire, or at least one that won't seem boring to young people.
Considering some of the names being floated out there, I think he would be a great choice if they went that direction. There is no perfect candidate and I think he would be a good "bridge" coach for 6-7 years before he retires.

It's already been noted that Wes has made it known he isn't interested. He is from NC and plans on retiring at NC State. He is 61.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back