(Updated 8/2/2022) 2022 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

Brutal losing Alexander today. Going to hold out hope that they told him they feel good about Skenes but otherwise not a good day.

Hard to understand it either. Why announce UT if you intend on signing as an undrafted FA?

Why, indeed? I'm hoping like you CTV told him Skenes is on the way here. Why else would you forgo a season on Rocky Top and a draft bonus after next season?

Free Agency - what’s it usually pay these players? 4th and 5th year guys?

In ‘20 and ‘21, the max bonus for UDFA was capped at $20,000, but the majority of those guys get about a $10,000 bonus. The salary for a guy signing his first minor league contract will increase this year from somewhere in the 40’s to the 50’s…this is the minor league minimum salary.

Edit: They (MLB)have effectively kept a cap at $125,000 because anything over that goes against the team’s cap. A guy like Evan will probably get between 5-10 grand as a bonus. It worked out well for him because he’ll be there catching Joyce, at least at first.

Last edited:
Hearing Evan singed for 50k singing bonus which I thought was really good for someone with no leverage

That’s really good, on one hand I’m surprised, on the other I’m not, he’s very experienced. Also, there’s less rounds so there’s the same money but a smaller player pool. This year is kind of a reset year for MiLB.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Starting to feel like Tennessee is getting used for street cred with these transfers that never show up.

It’s no fun, but I would say it’s certainly not a bad thing to have your brand be “used” to get a better deal. It’s a signal that our brand is very strong, so I’ll take it.

That’s the way baseball always works. They commit to a school and wait and see if MLB gives them a better option.

I would only add…by the time a junior or a rising junior or draft eligible (21) enters the portal, the college coaches and the MLB scouts know about everything they need to know.

We’re talking about a handful of kids that can call the shot and there are a lot of factors involved.

Well, the draft date is determined by MLB. They used to hold it earlier on while the NCAA baseball season was still happening, which brought separate problems. I believe they moved it back the last few years to make it coincide with the all-star game and increase viewership. Based on the calendar of the NCAA baseball season, there may not be an ideal time for the draft.
I was thinking more about the transfer portal as it kind of slides in there not too long before the draft. Maybe it’s better for the NCAA to extend the declare time beyond what it currently is? Just seems like very tight timing.

VN Store

Back