(Updated 8/2/2022) 2022 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

TN_gal

The 2022 MLB Draft begins Sunday, July 17th, 2022 at 7PM EDT (ESPN, MLB Network) and ends Tuesday, July 19th, 2022. There are 20 rounds in this year's draft.

When: July 17, at 7PM EDT; July 18, at 2PM EDT; July 19, at 2PM EDT
Where: Los Angeles, Calif.

I decided to use Google spreadsheets this year to keep track of our draft-eligible players, incoming freshman signees, JUCO signees, and (outgoing/incoming) transfers. Scroll down, and at the bottom of the spreadsheet, you will see four tabs for the four categories mentioned above. You can toggle back and forth between tabs to see players and their info. If anyone has additional info, please let me know in the replies, and I’ll do my best to update. During the draft, I'll update our draftees with round and MLB team.

I'll also update this OP with additional links, articles, and information as they become available. Feel free to post any links or info you find. Thanks everyone!

LINKS AND RESOURCES

11. Drew Gilbert (21.8), CF, Tennessee
25. Jordan Beck (21.1), RF, Tennessee
52. Blade Tidwell (21.0), RHP, Tennessee
63. Reggie Crawford (21.6), LHP, UConn
78. Trey Lipscomb (22.0), 3B, Tennessee
91. Ben Joyce (21.8), RHP, Tennessee
194. Alex Stanwich (18.8) CF Lincoln-Way East HS (IL) (Tennessee)
211. Jorel Ortega (21.4) 2B Tennessee

INTERVIEWS

Coach Vitello interview on SportsTalk (7/13/22)

ONGOING DISCUSSION THREADS

College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

Expectations next year?

Last edited:
The 2022 MLB Draft begins Sunday, July 17th, 2022 at 7PM EDT (ESPN, MLB Network) and ends Tuesday, July 19th, 2022. There are 20 rounds in this year's draft.

I decided to use Google spreadsheets this year to keep track of our draft-eligible players, incoming freshman signees, JUCO signees, and (outgoing/incoming) transfers. Scroll down, and at the bottom of the spreadsheet, you will see four tabs for the four categories mentioned above. You can toggle back and forth between tabs to see players and their info. If anyone has additional info, please let me know in the replies, and I’ll do my best to update. During the draft, I'll do my best to track and update our draftees with round and MLB team.

I'll also update this OP with additional links, articles, and information as they become available. Feel free to post any links or info you find. Thanks everyone!

Links and Resources

2022 MLB Draft News, Dates, Tracker and Prospects | MLB.com

Booooooooooooooom! 🎉⚾🔥🧡

Can you add a birthdate to the sheets?

Players who have graduated high school but not attended college are eligible for the draft, as are those who have completed at least one year of junior college. Players attending four-year colleges are eligible to be drafted upon completing their junior year or turning 21 years old.

Rule 4 Draft | Glossary | MLB.com

Do players have to declare for the draft like in basketball and football?

I may be wrong but they do not have to declare. If they are eligible then they can be drafted... the drafted player is not required to sign and may say (like a top 30 HS player) that he is going to play college ball and that could discourage using a high round pick on a HS player that says he won't sign.

It gives college juniors some "leverage" in that they can return to college if they don't get the signing bonus they want. Also screws the seniors since they do not have options.

Last edited:
Can you add a birthdate to the sheets?

Players who have graduated high school but not attended college are eligible for the draft, as are those who have completed at least one year of junior college. Players attending four-year colleges are eligible to be drafted upon completing their junior year or turning 21 years old.

Rule 4 Draft | Glossary | MLB.com

Sure! I’ll work on adding them tonight or tomorrow. Had to shut off my laptop due to storms in the area.

I decided to use Google spreadsheets this year to keep track of our draft-eligible players, incoming freshman signees, JUCO signees, and (outgoing/incoming) transfers. Scroll down, and at the bottom of the spreadsheet, you will see four tabs for the four categories mentioned above. You can toggle back and forth between tabs to see players and their info. If anyone has additional info, please let me know in the replies, and I’ll do my best to update. During the draft, I'll update our draftees with round and MLB team.

Links and Resources

Ongoing Discission Threads

Expectations next year?

Thanks for all your hard work, Gal.

Pretty sure your name has to be submitted to the MLB office to be eligible for the draft. But it's not the same as declaring for the draft.
I do not think this is correct. If a player catches a mlb scout's eye then the player can be drafted as long as they meet the criteria.

I do not think this is correct. If a player catches a mlb scout's eye then the player can be drafted as long as they meet the criteria.

That’s my understanding as well. There’s no need to declare as happens in other sports, any eligible player can be drafted. However, I believe the teams do contact and discuss terms before deciding whether to draft a player.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Lawson accept an MLB offer in the draft this year picking up Ahuna and Denton. He will be competing for 2nd base with multiple guys in Stephenson, CMoore, Steenstra and Chambers and all of those guys bats are potentially better than his. Stephenson could absolutely stay in the OF but he came here as a 2nd basemen and got beat out by Ortega. CMoore is a SS but will also be hard to keep out of the line up due to his bat. Steenstra has proven he is a starter at the SEC level as well. Chambers never seemed to perform at the level he did in the summer and fall after transferring last year but definitely has the ability to take that spot. Next year will definitely be interesting to see how things play out. We could always see Burke stay in the DH spot with Denton going to 1st but that still only leaves two spots with 3rd and 2nd. I still am not convinced Lawson will be the best option at either position with what we have coming back next year.

Stephenson staying in the outfield is interesting as well with what we have coming back there as well with Dickey, Booker, Scott and the incoming transer Buckus. Dickey and stephenson's bats are simply to good to keep out of the line up. Getting the addition of Alexander I think solidifies that Dickey will remain in the outfield or be the DH which would obviously put Burke at 1st base because I don't think there is a scenario Burke is not in the line up next year. Good times coming on Rocky TOP. THese are good problems to have!

That’s my understanding as well. There’s no need to declare as happens in other sports, any eligible player can be drafted. However, I believe the teams do contact and discuss terms before deciding whether to draft a player.

not sure why a UK website is interested in the MLB draft but here goes

https://franchisesports.co.uk/mlb-draft-eligibility-explained/#:~:text=Unlike other sports, players don,wish not to be selected.

How does a player enter the MLB Draft?
Unlike other sports, players don’t have to formally declare their intention to enter the MLB Draft pool. Teams have the freedom to select any player who meets the eligibility requirements. However, high school players can choose to remove their name from consideration prior to the draft if they wish not to be selected.

Prior to the draft, MLB will release a list of the 300 best players who are eligible for the draft. These players are given the option to share their medical history with all 30 MLB clubs to look at ahead of the draft. Of course, they also have the option of not sharing this information. Among those 300 players, MLB also designates the top 50 pitchers, who also have the option of giving the 30 teams a recent MRI of any body part that received medical treatment over the previous year, although they can decide not to share this information.

You are probably right. But I have listened to days 2 and 3 of the draft before. And selecting teams always give players name, position, school and an ID number. So, if the players have an ID number they have been put into the system at some point.

Players do not submit their names. The MLB clubs submit a list of players that they might be selecting. Almost every major player coming out of HS and college will have an ID number. They go through a process of filling out questionnaires from MLB and individual teams. If they are a high draft pick, the club will contact them to negotiate ahead of time either with the player or their advisor, can't have an agent if you have eligibility left for amateur. If you are not a high draft pick, you may or may not ever hear from the clubs until after your name is called. The slot money has changed the draft so much that there is not as much negotiation as there used to be. They have to be a certain % close to the slot or take it from somewhere else. The top 10 rounds are important because you are not willing to burn a top 1-2 round pick on a player who is not willing to sign for that slot money. Clubs used to be willing to risk it and hope they could talk a player into coming for less but now it is not working out that well so they are getting promises before they select 1-2 round especially and some through first 10 rounds. You will also have several guys go this year immediately after the draft for the $25,000 free agent signing bonus just to get a chance. It should be interesting whose name gets called and where. Anyone who tells you they have the MLB draft figured out is lying. There are always the players who get drafted way higher than expected and those that fall for whatever reason.

Players do not submit their names. The MLB clubs submit a list of players that they might be selecting. Almost every major player coming out of HS and college will have an ID number. They go through a process of filling out questionnaires from MLB and individual teams. If they are a high draft pick, the club will contact them to negotiate ahead of time either with the player or their advisor, can't have an agent if you have eligibility left for amateur. If you are not a high draft pick, you may or may not ever hear from the clubs until after your name is called. The slot money has changed the draft so much that there is not as much negotiation as there used to be. They have to be a certain % close to the slot or take it from somewhere else. The top 10 rounds are important because you are not willing to burn a top 1-2 round pick on a player who is not willing to sign for that slot money. Clubs used to be willing to risk it and hope they could talk a player into coming for less but now it is not working out that well so they are getting promises before they select 1-2 round especially and some through first 10 rounds. You will also have several guys go this year immediately after the draft for the $25,000 free agent signing bonus just to get a chance. It should be interesting whose name gets called and where. Anyone who tells you they have the MLB draft figured out is lying. There are always the players who get drafted way higher than expected and those that fall for whatever reason.

The word from the preacher! Thanks for teaching our continuing ed course, preacherman.

Links and Resources

Ongoing Discission Threads

Expectations next year?

Thanks for making this thread.

It is a shame that MLB teams cannot trade draft picks like the other leagues can during their drafts.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I may be wrong but they do not have to declare. If they are eligible then they can be drafted... the drafted player is not required to sign and may say (like a top 30 HS player) that he is going to play college ball and that could discourage using a high round pick on a HS player that says he won't sign.

It gives college juniors some "leverage" in that they can return to college if they don't get the signing bonus they want. Also screws the seniors since they do not have options.
Should be this way in every college sport.

Reactions: wmcovol

VN Store

Back