Upcoming vote whether to allow student-athletes back to campus on June 1 (merged)

OP then only thing that stood out in your post to me is We are the laughing stock of the SEC again. Emotional post is emotional. Battered Vol Syndrome at its worst.

I agree with this 100 percent. I am sick of so much considering this virus. Kids losing a year of sports regardless of where they live and what the virus was or was not doing. Kids losing a chunk of the academic year and online learning is not the same or we would've gone to that and saved money a long time ago. An online University of Phoenix degree is not the same as a degree with hands on learning at a University. I know of elementary schools who have teachers who will come in this summer to teach 1st and 2nd graders reading and math skills they need because this is such a foundational grade. I am very emotional in trying to run a small business that is a life's work while knowing others do not have income at all or food they need to feed their children. This just seemed like one more oh not again or you freaking kidding me. It was emotional because I am just sick of what I continue to feel is an overreaction to this thing. I could go on but in the end, you are right. I have had about as much as this **** as I can take. Let's freaking live life because you really don't know when it is going to end and what we have been doing is not living.

JMO....When the athletes step foot on campus they become the responsibility of the coaches....AD....and school admin. I have no issue if Fulmer wants all the T's crossed and I's dotted. This is new territory for all universities. It's not just come back....check in your dorm....report to the weight room and carry on as before and as you have in the past. Not that way right now.

Glad I don't have to make that call....I'm sure most behind a computer keyboard are glad they don't have to make the call either.

My understanding that our beloved AD was the only one to vote no in a virtual meeting of AD's to return players back to campus on June 1. I have voiced my displeasure at this to the University and you should as well. Again, it wasn't Vandy but Coach Fulmer. They like our money to be on time but most of said the season would have to be pushed back if they do not return by then. Now, we are being laughed at by the rest of the conference again. I hope this is a mistake because I really like Coach Fulmer and this pisses me off. Hit up the AD boys on the twitter.

Don't do twitter but I do really want to know his thinking on this because I would think with gyms opening all over that our student athletes would be better off with our medical staff and coaches working with them and following social distancing and letting them workout with supervision than whatever they are doing on their own. Also, would probably get better nutrition to get ready for the football season.
WTF is the issue? He says June 15 not June 1 and I agree with him!

I don't see why we stopped for this Chinese virus and the fact that they wanna pay off schooling for the doctors and nurses is just sickening. No reason why we can't start summer practice right now. The virus isn't that bad it was over hyped by the media. The economy needs to open up ASAP

No harm in voting no for June 1. You seem to have an advantage in recruiting with things close. Whatever it takes to keep it going is fine by me.

Yeah grab a torch and pitchforks. Hes clearly not on board with the plan. Gather all your friends with 85 IQs and let's show them how dumb we are. Fulmers clearly been watching too many scientists.
What plan? They could arbitrarily bring the players back but they don’t have a clue yet how they’ll test 100+ people the day before a game so they can be clear to play. And then what happens when 5 of them test positive? And I just thought of something else. They are going to have to probably test a couple of times a week to clear them for practice. Lots of things to do that a lot of people aren’t thinking about. And a ton of liability to consider if you send them out without testing.

Reactions: Tnphil
Much like opening in general, you get one shot to do it right. Open too late, and you risk long term harm to institutions. Open too early, and the disease re-flares, you have zero chance to shut it down again, and the results will be very bad.

Fulmer wants June 15 from what I understand listening to Basilio this morning. 2 weeks is a decent time frame for more data. I think Fulmer's vote was a considered one, in that he no doubt had input from many sources. I support him.
Great points. If it flares again after you re-open, I could see them shutting it down until a vaccine is completed and it gets under control.

My understanding that our beloved AD was the only one to vote no in a virtual meeting of AD's to return players back to campus on June 1. I have voiced my displeasure at this to the University and you should as well. Again, it wasn't Vandy but Coach Fulmer. They like our money to be on time but most of said the season would have to be pushed back if they do not return by then. Now, we are being laughed at by the rest of the conference again. I hope this is a mistake because I really like Coach Fulmer and this pisses me off. Hit up the AD boys on the twitter.

Don't do twitter but I do really want to know his thinking on this because I would think with gyms opening all over that our student athletes would be better off with our medical staff and coaches working with them and following social distancing and letting them workout with supervision than whatever they are doing on their own. Also, would probably get better nutrition to get ready for the football season.
Its very possible that a player on Tenn. Roster might be in the "High Risk" group.
If his reason is to look after his players my hats off to him.

I stand with the rest of the SEC and with the Vol fans who disagree with their AD.

Bring em’ back, get em’ ready to play. We’ve got a season to get ready for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I agree with this 100 percent. I am sick of so much considering this virus. Kids losing a year of sports regardless of where they live and what the virus was or was not doing. Kids losing a chunk of the academic year and online learning is not the same or we would've gone to that and saved money a long time ago. An online University of Phoenix degree is not the same as a degree with hands on learning at a University. I know of elementary schools who have teachers who will come in this summer to teach 1st and 2nd graders reading and math skills they need because this is such a foundational grade. I am very emotional in trying to run a small business that is a life's work while knowing others do not have income at all or food they need to feed their children. This just seemed like one more oh not again or you freaking kidding me. It was emotional because I am just sick of what I continue to feel is an overreaction to this thing. I could go on but in the end, you are right. I have had about as much as this **** as I can take. Let's freaking live life because you really don't know when it is going to end and what we have been doing is not living.

The distance between your OP and this latest is a mile of spin.

Here’s a suggestion - ”I jumped the gun on my OP. I let my hunger for fall football rule my brain and blamed CPF without full facts. I was wrong. GBO!!!”

👊🏼

I love Fulmer as AD, but I totally disagree with his decision there. It's time to open, hospitals aren't compromised and there is no reason we can't monitor our players. Probably will be easier to than if they aren't here. No reason for them not to be here in the first of June. Students are going to be on campus a month later anyway. I stand with the rest of the SEC and my Vol fans that think like me. God Bless and GBO!

Reactions: JacketVol
I'm sure each AD sought counsel from their respective university medical departments. Wait....doesn't Tennessee have one of, if not the top, Medical department in the SEC? Hhmmmmm.......very curious.

I don't want the season to be delayed but student health is the top priority at this moment in time, so I support the vote that Fulmer has cast.

Reactions: vols1221

Projecting your emotional viewpoint onto a guy who's responsible for the safety, health, and success of hundreds if not thousands of athletes and employees strikes me as a little shortsighted. If a lifelong Volunteer, a guy who has bled orange for his entire adult life, thinks delaying a few weeks isn't so bad, surely you can at least meet his perspective partway or somewhat understand his reasoning. You may want us to be done with the virus, the virus is certainly not done with us.

How the h*** does anybody know what the "long term" effects might be? This is speculation designed to scare you.

Yep He scared. If this virus is treated properly, there will be no "long term effects" Only if you are put on a Vent will you have permanent damage. SO, treat early and keep patients off Vents. The young people aren't affected anyways. Let them OUT.

Reactions: macrovol

VN Store

Back