Upcoming vote whether to allow student-athletes back to campus on June 1 (merged)

You can do that. It's the parents and players who decide if they come back. Also, they better have a gameplan for the parents and players laid out in detail. New report from cdc yesterday says for young people there is a connection to possibly long term effects. So that's something parents will be telling their children you might want to wait to see what the Secs plan is. Lastly, ESPN reported the Sec met with the nfl and one school reports the NFL is way a head of us. So I'm not letting my child comeback unless they are ready and I know more about this long term effect.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
You can do that. It's the parents and players who decide if they come back. Also, they better have a gameplan for the parents and players laid out in detail. New report from cdc yesterday says for young people there is a connection to possibly long term effects. So that's something parents will be telling their children you might want to wait to see what the Secs plan is. Lastly, ESPN reported the Sec met with the nfl and one school reports the NFL is way a head of us. So I'm not letting my child comeback unless they are ready and I know more about this long term effect.
All they're talking about doing is opening the facilities for voluntary workouts, you know just like all the gyms opening up across the country. So lets see how things play out before telling everyone they're going to die if they even look at a football

I have mentioned this already on this board but there are some built in advantages to quarantine the athletes. They already have their own dorms, their own cafeteria and their own workout facilities. The real challenge will be keeping the athletes and coaches on campus and away from any sick contacts. Knoxville is slowly opening up. I suppose there will need to be team curfews, head counts, etc. I am sure the parents would want this too. The only problem I see is with them clustered so closely together is if just one tests positive they will probably all test positive.

All they're talking about doing is opening the facilities for voluntary workouts, you know just like all the gyms opening up across the country. So lets see how things play out before telling everyone they're going to die if they even look at a football
I didnt say anyone would die. I'm saying I don't like hearing the nfl is way ahead of the SEC. We play before them. Our commish makes way too much money, therefore he has the time to make a damn plan. Its lawsuits that will keep things from reopening and ultimately players/parents choosing what is best for them. So as fans, we can want something but they have to be willing to be cogs in a money making machine in which they receive none of it.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
And that’s fine, I have zero argument against you and your kid potentially not wanting to come back. However, you’re also able to watch the games on tv when they do come back.

Reactions: hog88
I didnt say anyone would die. I'm saying I don't like hearing the nfl is way ahead of the SEC. We play before them. Our commish makes way too much money, therefore he has the time to make a damn plan. Its lawsuits that will keep things from reopening and ultimately players/parents choosing what is best for them. So as fans, we can want something but they have to be willing to be cogs in a money making machine in which they receive none of it.
The NCAA is a broken system, it has been for sometime. Football and Basketball at the D1 level are anything but amateur anymore, they are cash cows for the Universities. To be honest all the other sports depend on them or they wouldn't exist. Take UT for example, there wouldn't be Women's Basketball, Softball, Tennis, Golf, Rowing, Swimming, Track if it weren't for Football and Basketball. Now instead of fixing the issues they invented Title 9 to make these Universities even more dependent on the funds from T.V. etc. Money controls all in College Sports at the D1 level and always will at this point. To the point of Sankey, I don't believe for a minute he doesn't have a plan. The SEC will lead the way in planning for the return of college football this fall. I'm also under the belief that these college athletes get better care on their campuses than they do at home.

How the h*** does anybody know what the "long term" effects might be? This is speculation designed to scare you.

Football is a cash cow and they need it to help the economy it would be dumb not to bring it back

Exactly. You're talking about kids losing scholorships, universities themselves losing tons of revenue (let's not forget that the scholarships from non revenue sports come from football), TV channels losing tons of revenue, radio shows, shops that sell merchandise, hotels, restaurants......the list goes on and on. This virus is weak and it's not worth throwing everything away, including peoples livelihoods, out of fear of it. Only a dumb person would want to do that.

Exactly. You're talking about kids losing scholorships, universities themselves losing tons of revenue (let's not forget that the scholarships from non revenue sports come from football), TV channels losing tons of revenue, radio shows, shops that sell merchandise, hotels, restaurants......the list goes on and on. This virus is weak and it's not worth throwing everything away, including peoples livelihoods, out of fear of it. Only a dumb person would want to do that.
Key stat.

Average death is 81 years old which is higher than the average life span in America.

WHAT ARE WE DOING?

Key stat.

Average death is 81 years old which is higher than the average life span in America.

WHAT ARE WE DOING?

Amen!

What we are doing is continuing an unconstitutional practice of allowing our governors and local officials to dictate whether certain people can go out and make a living or not.

How the h*** does anybody know what the "long term" effects might be? This is speculation designed to scare you.
Cdc put it out so its not politically driven brother. And not sure you are someone I would listen to about what should concern me or my family. Each family can decide for themselves what is ok for them.

Reactions: Smokebern20
What has begun to tick me off more than I already was is that we have data now for all the people to see that the lock down is not needed at this point.

Georgia has not been a death machine since reopening. It’s been the opposite.

florida reopening the beaches has been just fine. we don’t have body bags lined up for the spring breakers and so forth.

wisconsin had an election and it didn’t do a damn thing with people going to the polls

i could go on.

somehow we went from “flatten the curve” to “if you leave your house before the year 2030 without a vaccine you will have 5 minutes to live”.

i had a doctor tell me a story that he had to inform a patient they had cancer and the patient literally said, “oh, thank god. I thought you were going to tell me I had coronavirus”

Absolutely accurate statement - who knows. The "experts" have told us some many things already that have not and likely never will happen - that we cannot afford to make important decisions based on their "expert" input. Do what you think is the right thing to do for you and your family and be comfortable with your decision. Stop letting people with political and economic agendas wreck your life. We will get through this - we will come back.

VN Store

Back