Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Everything for all sports is ordered by November, so the hay has been in the barn for some time on that. I expect striped pants for the home uniforms. No alternate that I know of. There is some talk about some high-profile Nike teams doing a throwback for rivalry weekend, but that's not a home game for us, so I don't believe we are included in that.
I like the stripes, especially on the road. I would be fine if we stayed with the plain pants too. If I’m choosing, give me the stripes.
C5E3C58E-C295-4F52-8624-E950524A9719.gif

National signing day is over and the off-season is now in full swing. Perfect time for a uniform thread. Of the two recent shades of orange that we have worn over the last decade, which is better?

View attachment 260018
The lighter color was worn during the Dickey, Battle, and Fulmer years. The darker color during the Majors years. I prefer the Adidas color. Nike looks too close to Clemson.

The lighter color was worn during the Dickey, Battle, and Fulmer years. The darker color during the Majors years. I prefer the Adidas color. Nike looks too close to Clemson.

Fun fact: The adidas and Nike oranges are identical. Here is a 2012 adidas jersey next to a 2014 adidas jersey next to a 2017 Nike jersey. Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 8.07.24 PM.png

It's all about the lighting and the materials. I have a game-worn home jersey from every year since 1992 my collection and, other than some slight fading from age or washing, they are all nearly identical.

The biggest difference is the materials used. From the mid-80s until 2011, the jerseys were a nylon mesh with a "dazzle" material on the shoulders. Those materials are naturally reflective and their appearances in photos can and did vary wildly. The stretch materials that modern jerseys are made from naturally have a matte finish that is more consistent across all lighting and photos.

Fun fact: The adidas and Nike oranges are identical. Here is a 2012 adidas jersey next to a 2014 adidas jersey next to a 2017 Nike jersey. View attachment 265424

It's all about the lighting and the materials. I have a game-worn home jersey from every year since 1992 my collection and, other than some slight fading from age or washing, they are all nearly identical.

The biggest difference is the materials used. From the mid-80s until 2011, the jerseys were a nylon mesh with a "dazzle" material on the shoulders. Those materials are naturally reflective and their appearances in photos can and did vary wildly. The stretch materials that modern jerseys are made from naturally have a matte finish that is more consistent across all lighting and photos.

How could I forget about the tire tread? Yikes.

Reactions: AppStVol
I had to report to campus in late 2014 for my final eportfolio. While I was there I wanted to take advantage of some authentic gear. I purchased about $300 worth of Adidas UT apparel. A few months later the athletic department announced that they were transitioning to Nike. I couldn’t have been more happier to lose 3 bills.

How could I forget about the tire tread? Yikes.

I remember I thought those treads looked cool....for about 5 minutes. Then after 1 game I thought they were terrible. They were the worst on the Smokey Grey uniforms because it really looked like we were wearing recycled tires for uniforms.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Everything for all sports is ordered by November, so the hay has been in the barn for some time on that. I expect striped pants for the home uniforms. No alternate that I know of. There is some talk about some high-profile Nike teams doing a throwback for rivalry weekend, but that's not a home game for us, so I don't believe we are included in that.

By home uniforms do you mean the standard orange jersey/white pants combo? Or are we doing something weird where we have striped pants (white and orange) for home games but no stripe pants for road games?

I remember I thought those treads looked cool....for about 5 minutes. Then after 1 game I thought they were terrible. They were the worst on the Smokey Grey uniforms because it really looked like we were wearing recycled tires for uniforms.

I was pumped for the Smokey Grey Unis at first, but in the end I thought looked kind of cheap. I thought the Nike ones were sharper. I’m glad we did the alternate Grey uniforms, but I don’t think we need to bring them back. I would be happy if brought back the retro Condridge Holloway look that we wore vs UNLV for a game. Call it the Nike “Artful Dodger” Collection and sell vintage UT logos on hats, shirts, sweatshirts , etc. I bet people would be all over that. I know I would be .

I was pumped for the Smokey Grey Unis at first, but in the end I thought looked kind of cheap. I thought the Nike ones were sharper. I’m glad we did the alternate Grey uniforms, but I don’t think we need to bring them back. I would be happy if brought back the retro Condridge Holloway look that we wore vs UNLV for a game. Call it the Nike “Artful Dodger” Collection and sell vintage UT logos on hats, shirts, sweatshirts , etc. I bet people would be all over that. I know I would be .

Yeah they were good for the time, but I don't miss them. And I'm glad the men's and women's basketball teams have followed suit and ditched them. I don't mind the baseball and softball team still using them because they play more games and have more room for alternates.

Reactions: onevol74
bumping this thread for an interesting hashtag from Niedermeyer

We play Arkansas at home on Halloween...just sayin :p

edit: BRUH nevermind we are @Fayetteville....but still

I’ve always said if the coaches/players want black jerseys or black number outline they have the ability to make it happen. The official color palette is not the US constitution. I have received a lot of push back on this

I would look a whole lot better with an orange helmet, IMO.
I agree, orange helmet and all black uniforms would make a great alternative. I’m also a fan of the black outline on the white jerseys, like was worn during the Peyton era. I think the grey looks cheap, I’d rather use some combo of the Lady Vol powder blue as to wear that cheap grey again.

@DeerPark12 Any idea when we should expect to see new sideline gear for this upcoming season? Thanks for any info you have regarding that or any info you may have regarding Nieds tweet or what Pruitt said on Foxsports radio about uniforms .

Last edited:
Reactions: Notorious B.E.N

VN Store

Back