Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Wow. What a flood of memories that picture brought back. We also had a tub of “Atomic Balm” by the same company. It was so hot I always thought the coaches were punishing you for being a sissy about your injury if they put it on you. Unbearable pain. I had to ice my thigh for hours one night because they put too much on me and it was so hot. I was in tears. Stuff wouldn’t wash off either.

I had a team mate who was a complete A-Hole to me 99% of the time. I walked into the equipment room one day to return my gear at the end of the season while coach had it unlocked, and saw a duffel bag with his name wrote on it packed with his stuff ready for spring practice. I smeared a light glaze of that stuff inside his shoes, pants inside the knee and thigh pad pockets, girdle pads, shoulder pads, arm and elbow pads, and the inside of his helmet including the ear pads. Now, it was dried by the time he put all that on for spring practice, and it didn't bother him for the first couple of days because it was still cool. But it got hot on day three. Real hot. And that stuff was still potent!

Served him right. He had a habit of putting that in other people's underwear or jocks. He walked into the shower the color of a well cooked lobster. And no, the shower didn't help.

Edit: Kept my mouth shut about it until now. That former teammate passed in 2008. Guess it is safe to reveal it by now, because he probably had a presence here, but I don't know that for sure.

Last edited:
Seems to me that since Pruitt took over the emphasis on the "uniform" look of all the uniforms has been de-emphasized. Pruitt did away with the Smokey Greys and went back to the simple white pants. Then the men's basketball team chose to make their throwbacks their fulltime home uniform.

I have to admit I don't miss the Smokey Grey's very much, not on the football team or the basketball teams. The baseball and softball teams still use them and I can see them keeping them because they play more games and could use the variety but honestly they are my least favorite looks each wears. And I kind of felt the baseball team wore them too much.

I am betting Pruitt's "decision" was highly influence by someone else.

Reactions: Steven5198
Supposedly this years shoe is going to be the Nike Pegasus, Deerpark can you confirm?

The team shoe is always the current model of the Pegasus. The Vol Shop was able to order additional inventory of the team shoe, like adidas used to allow them to do. Unless something has changed (and it's quite possible that it has), they will be the only ones that have it because it will technically be a UTAD surplus sale.

The Week Zero fan shoe is still supposed to be something else, but retailers as of Friday were unsure if they're actually going to get it. It's possible that the Pegasus will be mass produced in team colors (or alternate team colors) and will replace the scheduled/ordered Week Zero shoe. They have the same price point, so it's a wash to the retailers.

The team shoe is always the current model of the Pegasus. The Vol Shop was able to order additional inventory of the team shoe, like adidas used to allow them to do. Unless something has changed (and it's quite possible that it has), they will be the only ones that have it because it will technically be a UTAD surplus sale.

The Week Zero fan shoe is still supposed to be something else, but retailers as of Friday were unsure if they're actually going to get it. It's possible that the Pegasus will be mass produced in team colors (or alternate team colors) and will replace the scheduled/ordered Week Zero shoe. They have the same price point, so it's a wash to the retailers.
Thank you! I hope there is a bunch of Pegasus that’s what I’ve been wanting last few years. They are a great shoe

I couldn’t find the Pegasus but I saw these online. This one is on sale for $54. What do you think?
49F08494-CDAF-405C-BF22-1A7EAC8E2CAB.jpeg

Don't know. All I remember was there was suppose to be some sort of a big money incentive from Nike to switch to them that Adidas wouldn't match or better. But my main point was the look of the uniforms. That new "Tennessee" logo Nike rolled out in year 1 is getting old real fast. And the uniforms just aren't the huge improvement everybody was pumped up for. And its not just one sport. Maybe the swim, soccer or golf teams look better, but I never watch that.

I went to look at some of the fan gear a few weeks ago at Hound Dogs. I didn't see even a tee shirt worth buying. Pretty sad state that the stuff at Wal-Mart looks maybe a little better than the official Nike gear.

Orange and White is a tough color scheme to work with, but it's ours. Only thing they have done that looked good was that mountains motif on the gray helmet, but the uniforms just looked filthy. I don't know who from Nike and who from the university draws up uniform designs and approved them, but there isn't a tablespoon of taste between all of them.
It's all personal opinion because imo, the Adidas stuff pretty universally looked and felt like trash. Some of the Nike designs are hit or miss for me but their minimalist designs are better than anything Adidas ever put out as far as fan gear imo.

I personally think white uniforms at home with white helmet should be the standard. On the road the orange jersey with a orange helmet and power T combo would look SICK!!! I hope the school tries it for a road game soon to gauge fan interest/reaction....

I personally think white uniforms at home with white helmet should be the standard. On the road the orange jersey with a orange helmet and power T combo would look SICK!!! I hope the school tries it for a road game soon to gauge fan interest/reaction....

Road uniforms aren't up to us, they'd have to get permission to wear the orange jerseys on the road by the home team. And in the case of Alabama, we already know it's a "no".

Road uniforms aren't up to us, they'd have to get permission to wear the orange jerseys on the road by the home team. And in the case of Alabama, we already know it's a "no".

As long as colors don’t match the opposing team why would the other team have to ask?

Nevermind, researched and found my answer. (Basically we could tell Bama to screw off and take a 15 yd penalty after kickoff every half if we wanted to wear a jersey color they didn’t agree on, or any team for that matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: onevol74
As long as colors don’t match the opposing team why would the other team have to ask?

Nevermind, researched and found my answer. (Basically we could tell Bama to screw off and take a 15 yd penalty after kickoff every half if we wanted to wear a jersey color they didn’t agree on, or any team for that matter.

How many halves are there?

2 - jerk.
images

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL

VN Store

Back