Unfortunately We Lady Vol Fans Are Becomming A Pitiful Lot

teacherdean

I include myself in the pitiful lot category. This past weekend I was hoping for mid major 2nd and lower rank mid major teams in women's basketball to lose against their conference's higher seeds in conference championship games. I did all this in hopes that my beloved Lady Vols would continue their streak of making every NCAA tournament since its inception. I don't care how they get in just so they make it. In my heart I feel they are a lock no matter what happened in the women's mid-major championships, however, like many of you, I did not want to take any chances. I had my finger crossed along with my toes and even kept my rabbit foot handy, I even went out and bought a chicken so I could secure a wishbone (Not really, but I thought about it). Even with all of that, I must sit on pins and needles waiting for the Women's NCAA selection show this evening.

Look what has happen to us as Lady Vol fans, for years we didn't worry about the Women's selection show because our Lady Vols already had an NCAA bid locked up even before the end of the SEC basketball season. Now we are left with hoping that mid major teams, with far less talent then we have, lose conference championship games that should be meaningless to Lady Vol fans. Now for the first time we are on the bubble. It is so sad and pitiful that we, as Lady Vol fans are left with hoping and wishing our team will be able to bubble into an NCAA bid. In essence, we are in a sad state of affairs, however, I love my Lady Vols and will continue to hope and wish, that is who we have become.

Last edited:
I include myself in the pitiful lot category. This past weekend I was hoping for mid major 2nd and lower rank mid major teams in women's basketball to lose against their conference's higher seeds in conference championship games. I did it all this in hopes that my beloved Lady Vols would continue their streak of making every NCAA tournament since its inception. I don't care how they get in just so they make it. In my heart I feel they are a lock no matter what happened in the women's mid-major championships, however, like many of you, I did not want to take any chances. I had my finger crossed along with my toes and even kept my rabbit foot handy, I even went out and bought a chicken so I could secure a wishbone (Not really, but I thought about it). Even with all of that, I must sit on pins and needles waiting for the Women's NCAA selection show this evening.

Look what has happen to us as Lady Vol fans, for years we didn't worry about the Women's selection show because our Lady Vols already had an NCAA bid locked up even before the end of the SEC basketball season. Now we are left with hoping that mid major teams, with far less talent then we have, lose conference championship games that should be meaningless to Lady Vol fans. Now for the first time we are on the bubble. It is so sad and pitiful that we, as Lady Vol fans are left with hoping and wishing our team will be able to bubble into an NCAA bid. In essence, we are in a sad state of affairs, however, I love my Lady Vols and will continue to hope and wish, that is who we have become.
Maybe UConn will do Tennessee a favor by annihilating Tennessee in the Sweet 16 convincing Holly Warlick to retire

Maybe UConn will do Tennessee a favor by annihilating Tennessee in the Sweet 16 convincing Holly Warlick to retire

I have them beating Maryland and playing UCONN specifically with this in mind. I think a 30 or 40 point loss to UCONN in the tournament after we just put them back on the schedule might be enough.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I have them beating Maryland and playing UCONN specifically with this in mind. I think a 30 or 40 point loss to UCONN in the tournament after we just put them back on the schedule might be enough.
Just 30-40 points? I think Geno wouldn't settle for anything less than 50, and he has the horses to make it so.

I would be shocked if Tennessee got to the round of 16. The main reasons are defense and rebounding. We can get hot on offense, but our defense(especially perimeter) is so bad, we will struggle with a good all around team.
Plus a team that can shut down the interior game and take away the offensive rebounds and putbacks (i.e. Maryland).

Is this wishful thinking or do you really believe that the LV's will beat UCLA and then,
In all probability, Maryland ?

I have believed in the ability of this team from the gitgo
I predict and expect exactly what I would have expected from me
E8 is the high standard for this team and S16 is the low standard for this team

same as ANY team that bears the name Lady VOls

Reactions: stlvolsfan

Expectations are one thing and reality is another animal altogether.

This team is different. Its patterns have been set and there is no reason to expect that they will have transformed themselves with two weeks of repeating what they have been doing all season.

I think it they have about 40% chance against UCLA and maybe 10% against Maryland. They won't see UConn and the Holly era will be done.

If I am wrong, that would actually bode poorly for the LVs long term because making the Sweet 16 from the 11 seed spot would give Fulmer a rationale for not making the hard choice.

Last edited:
This team is different. Its patterns have been set and there is no reason to expect that they will have transformed themselves with two weeks of repeating what they have been doing all season.

I think it they have about 40% chance against UCLA and maybe 10% against Maryland. They won B't see UConn and the Holly era will be done.

If I am wrong, that would actually bode poorly for the LVs long term because making to the Sweet 16 from the 11 seed spot would give Fulmer a rationale for not making the hard choice.
Exactly! Bless those who still cling to the Magic Switch Theory, we all handle our LV grief in our own way. Realistically tho nothing in the patterns we've seen in 30 games makes a sudden make over for a tourney run very likely.

Totally agree, and hate feeling this way, but worst case scenario is Holly does just enough in this new low expectation environment to bring her job status back into question. Kind of the same way she did just enough to make this tourney by the skin of her teeth.

LOL, we are cursed with threatened success! That's a new kind of tourney drama, right?

Exactly! Bless those who still cling to the Magic Switch Theory, we all handle our LV grief in our own way. Realistically tho nothing in the patterns we've seen in 30 games makes a sudden make over for a tourney run very likely.

Totally agree, and hate feeling this way, but worst case scenario is Holly does just enough in this new low expectation environment to bring her job status back into question. Kind of the same way she did just enough to make this tourney by the skin of her teeth.

LOL, we are cursed with threatened success! That's a new kind of tourney drama, right?
I'm going to do as much as I can to eliminate this drama before it ever becomes a Factor, if it all possible. Those girls have to have a clear mind to play a complete game

I'm going to do as much as I can to eliminate this drama before it ever becomes a Factor, if it all possible. Those girls have to have a clear mind to play a complete game
Wait, you haven't crossed the line all the way into your LV fantasy world right? You don't actually think anything that's said here has the slightest effect on the real player's real mindset, right?

Reactions: T_Vol376 and olddog
How good is UCLA, sounds like everyone is calling that a win for the Lady Vols.

they are an 11th seed they made it
tenor.gif

Wait, you haven't crossed the line all the way into your LV fantasy world right? You don't actually think anything that's said here has the slightest effect on the real player's real mindset, right?

What I don't let it affect me is people with negative remarks like yours. I do what I can and if I can affect one person on that team then I've done my job

How good is UCLA, sounds like everyone is calling that a win for the Lady Vols.
UCLA had some close wins, but also had a run of losses similar to tennessee. They lost badly to Oregon, but came back and beat them the second time.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back