Uneven Playing Field in College Baseball

Powerful video and not really eye opening to those who have gone through the process. Most kids baseball/softball at Power 5 schools are playing extended travel ball. Talked with a dad yesterday from the west coast whos daughter is playing in the SEC and they are playing close to 20K a year. Title IX is the old way of thinking, look at following softball had this past summer at the regionals and WCWS on TV ratings. Max rosters across the board in baseball, softball and other equivalency sports to offer the same college tuition as football's 85 scholarship players. Is it right to ask in-state Nick Senzel to pay his first year at Tennessee but allow out of state QB2/3Quinten Dormady a free ride?

If I follow your reasoning…my opinion is simple. Every scholarship player, regardless of gender or sport, should be on a full ride.

Equal should be equal.

Reactions: A.Vol70
NIL should make every player a scholarship player. All 35 players on the roster should have enough NIL money to pay for tuition, room, board, and books. Schools that take baseball seriously will get this done.

You have no clue. Can you name any baseball players that have one? At any school? The only thing close to it would be guys who go the social media route which is few real players.

You have no clue. Can you name any baseball players that have one? At any school? The only thing close to it would be guys who go the social media route which is few real players.

You're assuming everything will remain on the up and up....... It won't.

It has to be reported if you receive anything through an NIL so for a while there will be some protection. But it has already been done in football by the Alabama QB receiving almost $1 million to post on social media after each game. I just don't see it getting to baseball and I don't know of any baseball NIL's at any schools that are paying for tuition yet. I'm sure someone will stretch it but not many.

yes it is.....the Vandy Opportunity program funds all students from the school's endowment, based on household income........

and if your tired discussing it, then stay off the chat and have another white claw Judy

This is so wrong. You initially posted "yes, they are allowed to use donations to the program for baseball scholarships." Why do some have to make stuff up all the time?

Last edited:
There are 31,000 students at UT, 700-800 plays sports. Treat those athletes the same, equal should be equal. What was necessary in the 1970’s is no longer necessary other than the fact it allows schools the ability to dodge doing the right thing.

Had they done the right thing 20 years ago, NIL might not be a thing at all. Television rights, ESPN specifically, have changed the game in the P5.

There are 31,000 students at UT, 700-800 plays sports. Treat those athletes the same, equal should be equal. What was necessary in the 1970’s is no longer necessary other than the fact it allows schools the ability to dodge doing the right thing.

Had they done the right thing 20 years ago, NIL might not be a thing at all. Television rights, ESPN specifically, have changed the game in the P5.

Had never occurred to me that athletes represent 2-3% of the student population at UT. Seemed high, but on second thought matches what I see in class.

Had never occurred to me that athletes represent 2-3% of the student population at UT. Seemed high, but on second thought matches what I see in class.

And the highest paid state employee is the football coach. It’s ridiculous.

And the highest paid state employee is the football coach. It’s ridiculous.

By a lot, although that doesn’t mean the chancellor’s having trouble putting food on the table… (All our salaries can be found online, BTW, due to sunshine laws).

By a lot, although that doesn’t mean the chancellor’s having trouble putting food on the table… (All our salaries can be found online, BTW, due to sunshine laws).

Drew Gilbert’s T shirt probably isn’t putting much food on the table either.

Yeah, I was shocked back when I learned that baseball players did not all have full scholarships.

Eventually someone will point out that the AD’s finances are separate from the school, when times are good. That’s a thing, but it works both ways, so can the AD afford to put all 700-800 athletes on a scholarship? Yeah, they could.

I’ll leave this here for TN ⚾️ fans who are smart enough to avoid the football forum, yet might enjoy this tidbit…

Reactions: txbo
6-0 UConn over VU!!! UConn and VU playing at night on ESPNU. I get it but geez.

Go Huskies!

Reactions: Volprofch05

VN Store

Back