UFC Thread

35 in July. And I'd say it's much more due to the mental than the physical part.

With how little damage he's taken, the fact that he's being selective about fights and not going 3x/year, and the fact that he's not all that reliant on youthful athleticism (quickness/explosiveness), he can probably go almost another 10 years of high-level fighting.

I don't see what you're seeing on the mental side. He might have problems in his personal life, but I see no problems with his fight mentality. It's actually one of his biggest strengths. He's not scared to fight. He's not scared of challenges. He usually has great game plans and he's good at executing them. He doesn't buckle when the going gets tough in the octagon. What are you seeing that makes you doubt he can stay in the fight game mentally? Fighting actually seems to be the thing that keeps him in order, to some degree.

With how little damage he's taken, the fact that he's being selective about fights and not going 3x/year, and the fact that he's not all that reliant on youthful athleticism (quickness/explosiveness), he can probably go almost another 10 years of high-level fighting.

I don't see what you're seeing on the mental side. He might have problems in his personal life, but I see no problems with his fight mentality. It's actually one of his biggest strengths. He's not scared to fight. He's not scared of challenges. He usually has great game plans and he's good at executing them. He doesn't buckle when the going gets tough in the octagon. What are you seeing that makes you doubt he can stay in the fight game mentally? Fighting actually seems to be the thing that keeps him in order, to some degree.

No, I agree his fight IQ is great. I'm just saying he's a loose cannon outside the ring. I have no doubt he could continue fighting for a long time if dedicated. Eventually all of his personal issues are going to catch up with him though imo. It's easier at 26 to do tons of blow and party your ass off, then head to the gym, than it is at 35 I imagine.

I also think it's a pretty easy argument that his last two fights were the least dominant and worst he's looked in his whole career. I think Reyes beat him personally. And Santos was very close.

And now he's been on a 2 year hiatus, only sparring his fiance.

I will say that one area where Jones could be mentally stronger is that I think he plays at the level of his competition. When you're basically undefeated and have been successfully defending the belt for like 10 years, I can see how you'd get bored with the Santos and Reyes of the world. Nobody cares if you beat Reyes. It does little for your legacy, and maybe it's hard to get up for those fights and train your best.

When he was at his peak, he didn't train hard for AG and almost lost that fight. The only fights in the last 7 years that are actually legacy-building opponents were the two DC fights* and the rematch with AG, and he won them all convincingly. Now, you can say "those were years ago and things are different now" and I can't say you're wrong, but I think he'd bring the best version of himself, whatever that is, to fight Stipe.

*and he fought OSP in between those two DC fights, and he was lackluster in that.

Can't find any current odds on it yet. Somebody put Diaz +425 back in November.

Chimaev is obviously the favorite and Diaz hasn't fought a wrestler of this caliber, but he did make a name for himself beating wrestlers who everybody thought would smoke him, going all the way back to his days on TUF.

This is fun but other than that I don't get it. Chimaev just beat a top 5 guy, how often do winners in that scenario fight someone unranked next?

IDK when Colby's supposed to be ready to fight again and maybe Colby doesn't want that fight. He's probably holding out for Usman III, which Usman teased. Edwards and Usman are supposed to fight each other next.

Dana doesn't want Chimaev losing to Belal and beating him doesn't do much for Chimaev. I don't think Luque makes much sense for either guy (and it wouldn't be fair to have Luque jump Belal after losing to him).

Diaz makes sense because of the money and the prestige, regardless of him not being ranked. Diaz just went 5 rounds with the #2 welterweight and tho he lost, he was punking him at the end.

Going to give poor Diaz even more brain damage before they dispense of him. @n_huffhines you make some good points on the matchup. Diaz fight also builds the rep of Khamzat for the common fan. Gives him another big "name" win before he eventually takes on Usman. Gotta get the hype train even more fired up. Colby needs to quit ducking him though if it is the case. He doesn't deserve Usman III atm.

What does "on accident" mean in this context?

279565498_558843978909373_4081378296483838550_n.jpg

Wow, that's a tough one for Oliveira. If he wins is Dana giving him another shot to win his title back? Gaethje knock out would make this situation a lot easier to swallow.

Reactions: EricStratton

VN Store

Back