UF major sports containment thread

Ten years ago it was us getting knocked out by Mercer in the first round of the NIT. Don’t love games like that at all where your arena’s 2/3 empty and you’re not in the dance so no one cares. On to next year for y’all and I’ll just pretend not to be enjoying the schadenfreude a bit 😎

Last edited:
I believe this is the first time since 1979 that both the football and basketball teams had losing records.

Reactions: jackaro
I believe this is the first time since 1979 that both the football and basketball teams had losing records.

As I recall, they both had losing records every year from 1931 thru 1979.

The good ole boys of gainesville has never been accused of being blue bloods.

You guys need to join the ACC with brother schools Miami and Florida State.

Hadn't thought of it that way...guess it is entertainment.

Still surprised that they can't attract a top-10 type football coach. There is mega-talent in the Florida high school systems.
Lane Kiffin and Hugh Freeze were all the rage during this coaching carousel. Top 10 coaches are few and far between these days, even in the top 10.

Reactions: SpookyAction
She's so good looking.
billy-madison-bus-driver.gif

Hadn't thought of it that way...guess it is entertainment.

Still surprised that they can't attract a top-10 type football coach. There is mega-talent in the Florida high school systems.

The notion that anyone can hire a top 10 football coach without a ton of luck/aligned stars is overrated. It takes a ton of luck. Saban going to Bama was just great timing, as was Urban to Ohio State. Usually, you have to identify a good prospect and have him develop into a top 10 coach.

I guess USC just did it with Riley. But that was because he was trying to get away from SEC competition. Florida doesn’t have that luxury.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
The notion that anyone can hire a top 10 football coach without a ton of luck/aligned stars is overrated. It takes a ton of luck. Saban going to Bama was just great timing, as was Urban to Ohio State. Usually, you have to identify a good prospect and have him develop into a top 10 coach.

I guess USC just did it with Riley. But that was because he was trying to get away from SEC competition. Florida doesn’t have that luxury.

Yes, USC did it with Riley. Penn State with Franklin. Ole Miss with Kiffin. Auburn with Freeze. LSU with Kelley.

Yet, look at the Florida hires after Urban departed. Sunbelt Billy isn't an outlier.

I remain of the opinion that due to the high school talent within Florida, that should be a top-10 job. But, as you say...obviously it is not.

Yes, USC did it with Riley. Penn State with Franklin. Ole Miss with Kiffin. Auburn with Freeze. LSU with Kelley.

Yet, look at the Florida hires after Urban departed. Sunbelt Billy isn't an outlier.

I remain of the opinion that due to the high school talent within Florida, that should be a top-10 job. But, as you say...obviously it is not.

I’ll give you Kelly (which was a weird move for him, but I guess he’d run his course at ND). Lane Kiffin was not one of the top 10 coaches in America when Ole Miss hired him. Still isn’t. Neither is Freeze (who comes with tons of baggage). And Franklin wasn’t at Vanderbilt. I acknowledged USC hiring Riley.

It takes some luck, unusual circumstances, and/or willingness to accept baggage like Freeze’s to make a hire like that. But I’m also not a huge believer in “the home run hire” as much as having an AD who can identify the right guy for your program who then becomes a home run. Like Heupel, Dabo, or Kirby.

They’ve won NCs in football, basketball, and baseball this century. I’d take that.

I forgot about baseball. So many SEC teams have won NCs in baseball this century that I forgot about Florida. Yeah, I'd definitely take that. So come on guys.... It's not the end of the world.. lol

I’ll give you Kelly (which was a weird move for him, but I guess he’d run his course at ND). Lane Kiffin was not one of the top 10 coaches in America when Ole Miss hired him. Still isn’t. Neither is Freeze (who comes with tons of baggage). And Franklin wasn’t at Vanderbilt. I acknowledged USC hiring Riley.

It takes some luck, unusual circumstances, and/or willingness to accept baggage like Freeze’s to make a hire like that. But I’m also not a huge believer in “the home run hire” as much as having an AD who can identify the right guy for your program who then becomes a home run. Like Heupel, Dabo, or Kirby.

I agree with all of the second paragraph.

Michigan is another top tier program. So, they hired Harbaugh who I consider to be a top-10 type of coach.

Just curious...who are your top ten coaches? Saban, Riley, Kelly, plus seven other guys.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I forgot about baseball. So many SEC teams have won NCs in baseball this century that I forgot about Florida. Yeah, I'd definitely take that. So come on guys.... It's not the end of the world.. lol

There are four inches of dust on those pieces of hardware. So, I can see what their four inch fans are complaining about.

There has been considerable decline over the past 10-12 years.

Their AD got old, lazy, and finally got fired / 'retired'. Unsure who the new guy is, but appears to be a Larry Nassar type.

There are four inches of dust on those pieces of hardware. So, I can see what their four inch fans are complaining about.

There has been considerable decline over the past 10-12 years.

Their AD got old, lazy, and finally got fired / 'retired'. Unsure who the new guy is, but appears to be a Larry Nassar type.

Oh,I know. It's been several years since they've been competitive in anything. I wouldn't want that if I was a Florida fan. I was just being a little light-hearted and having fun.

Reactions: Jax_Vol

VN Store

Back