UF looks to spoil TN's season

You're significantly overplaying your hand here. This is just a stupid prediction.

I agree, I don't think we lose and I don't think it's even close barring any injuries to key positions.

Kentucky will give the gators all they want again this season!

Reactions: 1 person
BR article:

This is the section of this article that needs few words. Basically, all you need to know is the next sentence, the one that haunts Vols fans and causes every Gator fan and player to have supreme confidence heading into this contest.

Florida owns Tennessee.

The Gators have won 11 consecutive meetings, and no matter how much better the Vols are (or seem to be), the hated reptiles always find a way to pull it out. Last year, it was a 4th-and-14 conversion to cap a 13-point comeback win in the fourth quarter in Gainesville.

This season, UF comes to Knoxville for a game that should be tough for the Gators to win. Almost everybody is picking the Vols, and if Tennessee loses on Sept. 24 in Neyland Stadium, there will be much gnashing of teeth on Rocky Top.

Lose that one, and winning the SEC East becomes an uphill battle. That would mean the most attainable of UT's goals would be tough to get after just one conference game. Or, as the headline of Bill Bender's article for Sporting News states: "Just say it Butch: Tennessee needs to beat Florida to take the next step."

In that article, Bender shares a quote from SEC Network analyst Paul Finebaum during SEC media days about the rivalry game that hasn't been much of a rivalry for more than a decade: "(Jones) has a lot of big games, but none bigger in my mind—everybody wants to talk about Alabama—beat Florida first. If you can't beat Florida at Neyland Stadium, you really have no hope."

You can break this game down any way you like. Mention how good Tennessee's offensive playmakers are and how strong Florida's defense should be. Discuss the Vols' veteran leadership against a new cast of Gators. Trumpet Tennessee's talent and home-field advantage.

But until the Vols win that game, there will be an alligator-shaped albatross around their neck and a psychological disadvantage. The Gators' arrogance has reached a late-1990s level of swagger this offseason with defensive back Jalen Tabor's barbs, per SEC Network:
For the most part, the Vols haven't chirped back. That could be quiet confidence, but in the old days of Phillip Fulmer, Steve Spurrier's Gators would talk the most then go out and win.

This year's Vols must stop that on the field. The last time they beat Florida, Fulmer was the coach, and that's unacceptable. If that streak doesn't end this year, it may not end for a while.

Tennessee Football: Games That Could Ruin the Volunteers' 2016 Season | Bleacher Report

UF would like nothing more than to ruin our season.

According to The Swamp Donkey they exceeded expectations last year and are going to try to do the same this year by winning the SECe again. The road to Atlanta goes thru Knoxville. #120 have their own ideas and they have their sights set on Tampa. Atlanta is another stop along the way to greatness.

why should this year be any different than any other season? There are plenty of florida games we could have won--but we almost always don't. Fans who think we're just going to roll over florida are apt to be disappointed...again. I hope we do, but I've seen the Vols f--k up far too many florida games.....
Agreed! Really hope we stomp them good! I have to say though,as a vol fan living in Alabama, I REALLY REALLY want to stomp the tide!!

The title of the thread says it all. Florida has gone from front runner to "spoiler".

fla may lose 3-4 games this year with their big problems on offense. How much longer will fla fans put up with mcelwain when Butch takes over the SEC east??

I think Vandy will beat Florida this season. LOL

Vandy held UF to 9 points. UF scored 14 points on us in the 4th quarter. The game last year was an embarrassment on both sides of the ball. From the refusal to try and establish any kind of a passing game to every 4th down where we backed off and let them pick us apart.

Vandy held UF to 9 points. UF scored 14 points on us in the 4th quarter. The game last year was an embarrassment on both sides of the ball. From the refusal to try and establish any kind of a passing game to every 4th down where we backed off and let them pick us apart.

Treon Harris was also the starting QB in that game, just to keep things in perspective.

I turn 65 on the day of this game. We win. Best birthday present I've ever had.

h2YfdGZ.gif

I turn 65 on the day of this game. We win. Best birthday present I've ever had.

I wish you a very happy bday and hope its a huge celebration that's been over 11 years in the making! May you feel like your turning 18 years young and know you have 364 days to relish in a gator victory, then have peace in knowing we will make it 2 in a row.

I can't tell you how much I hope we beat them this year. Selfishly, not just for your bday, but mostly cause I'm just sick of loosing to that team!

Reactions: 2 people
Treon Harris was also the starting QB in that game, just to keep things in perspective.

Just to keep things further in perspective, this season, regardless of who it is, UF will be starting a QB who has never started an SEC game. Del Rio has transferred twice and has 3 collegiate starts. Apple has a number of starts at Purdue, but again, that was at Purdue. Franks and Trask are freshmen.

why should this year be any different than any other season? There are plenty of florida games we could have won--but we almost always don't. Fans who think we're just going to roll over florida are apt to be disappointed...again. I hope we do, but I've seen the Vols f--k up far too many florida games.....

Not with this roster and raging vengence in their collective hearts....

VN Store

Back